THE BROWNS BOARD

The elusive third party

Westside Steve

So those of you get excited over having a third party which I think is a stupid idea, exactly from which of the two existing parties would you like to cherry pick your issues?

(One reason I think three is stupid is that most Americans are center right. So if you have a right wing and a center right and a left you will almost always throw the power to the left and leave 60% of the population unrepresented. But regardless...)

I'd say if you really want to muddy things up make it four parties. Center right center left and to fringe.....

But if you still insist on three which issues do you think aren't being addressed by the Democrats or Republicans? Which would you change or ADD? And before you start boring me with this Trump is no longer in office.

WSS

I’m not sure l can give the most coherent answer, but when it comes to politics there’s a variety of issues that politicians are on one side or the other about, and there’s quite a few of them. The environment, immigration and gun rights are just a few of them in the US. 

It seems like with only a 2 party system there were some arbitrary circumstances that caused one or the other party to become the champion of some of these issues. The environment is one l’ve mentioned before. I never quite understood how that became championed by liberals. Wouldn’t it seem like that would be something conservatives would take the lead on? Conservation and conservative have the same root word.

And with these various issues, some people care about some of them more than others, so they are forced to choose on which things they care most about when they vote. There are plenty of pro gun people out there who are also pro environment. There are pro gun people who are also pro immigration. Many of these issues don’t diametrically oppose others. 

I suppose l would like to see a viable third party that mixes and matches what issues it champions a little differently so that people could compromise less with themselves when they vote.