THE BROWNS BOARD

Windows 7

From what I read this could be called the Mac killer? It's not just a Vista update, this looks to be the real deal. Secure, but in the background. I use mostly Mac, but 25% of the time I am on a Windows machine (XP of course). It was the biggest Beta test in history, so it might (MIGHT) be ready out of the gate?

Anyone have any other info on it or has anyone tested it?

My I.T. company is all on 7 and we all LOVE it... Powerful, Stable, Efficient, Navigation GUI interface is really intuitive.... STICKY NOTES!!! about damn time

Multiple application/window management is SUPERIOR to Mac. I admit I am not a Mac disciple but have always loved Mac's navigation.... 7 is superior and completely touch compliant!!! Think CNN on how they size maps and pics on the big touch screen...

Mac is in trouble... this is what Vista was supposed to be on steroids.

My I.T. company is all on 7 and we all LOVE it... Powerful, Stable, Efficient, Navigation GUI interface is really intuitive.... STICKY NOTES!!! about damn time

Multiple application/window management is SUPERIOR to Mac. I admit I am not a Mac disciple but have always loved Mac's navigation.... 7 is superior and completely touch compliant!!! Think CNN on how they size maps and pics on the big touch screen...

Mac is in trouble... this is what Vista was supposed to be on steroids.

Nice. I was in the market for a new Windows box and will wait until Oct for one. Thanks Sev. This is what I have heard, I think Mac is in trouble.

From what I read this could be called the Mac killer? It's not just a Vista update, this looks to be the real deal. Secure, but in the background. I use mostly Mac, but 25% of the time I am on a Windows machine (XP of course). It was the biggest Beta test in history, so it might (MIGHT) be ready out of the gate?

Anyone have any other info on it or has anyone tested it?

http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/ui-chal...vs-mac-os-x-915

Ha.

I wouldn't switch to a PC if it came with the power of fellatio.

Why aren't I surprised you guys are Mac users?

Anyway I don't particularly hate Vista but if 7 is smoother I'll be happy with it.

I don't know what the difference will be in audio and video handling but I hear Sonar runs perfectly on it.

I'll probably go with the 64 bit and put in more Ram.

Let's hope the drivers are forthcoming.

WSS

Well there is a reason why Mac users (who make up such a minority that spyware producers and virusware/hackers) run more stable....

Unimportant market share and the fact they have virtually NO market share in server based systems.

The ONE thing Mac has had forever as an advantage is user interface superiority and stability... That is now GONE.

Total hardware technology cost is now also working against Mac laptops because of the drop in pricing for IBM based systems. Combine that with windows 7 and onecare(this will also be free in October) Onecare is a GREAT antivirus/Spyware system and one of Microsofts best products..... Mac is in trouble.

I have stated before Macs are popular for a reason.... but Microsoft has greatly evened the field if not surpassed.

Total hardware technology cost is now also working against Mac laptops because of the drop in pricing for IBM based systems. Combine that with windows 7 and onecare(this will also be free in October) Onecare is a GREAT antivirus/Spyware system and one of Microsofts best products..... Mac is in trouble.

Also Mac made the decision to keep all hardware producion to themselves while PCs can be built by just about anybody.

There used to be Apple clones, not now.

Does anyone know if 7 will have any different way of handling AV ?

Some say Mac is different in that area, but I don't know if that's HW especially with Mac using intel chiips now.

WSS

Steve I have graphic designers who work for me, I am not artistic so my opinion means nothing. My guys who use programs that run graphics (like adobe's suite) or the sound productions programs dont see any performance drop in Windows 7. we do have a small animation rendering farm all based on IBM tech not apple and our end results are the same as anyone producing from apple based systems.

Personally I have always thought it was marketing hype because driver compatibility for hardware/os for IBM clones I am just not convinced that apple based systems had that much of a advantage except for perception.

quad core based systems running 7 as long as driver support for those programs I just dont see a "technologic" advantage apple has. its just an opinion.

I know the hardcore (for a good reason stability/useability) Mac fans will decry this. My answer is Market share.... Animation farms and systems are not typically apple based... so for AV I argue that IF Mac was so much better they would be the go to hardware platforms for servors and animation farms.

I've been pretty much exclusively running Linux for the better part of two years now. Before that I was a windows person, because it was always what I had. Lately I have been trying out the Windows 7 release candidate, and I am actually pretty impressed by it. I doubt I will run it, but even the RC is stable and quite snappy.

Vista was a huge xxxxup by MS, but I think they have struck gold with 7. And Macs... well, closed OS, closed hardware, closed minds.

linux-penguin.JPG

If I can pick it up for under a bill, I'll probably upgrade. I haven't had any major problems with Vista *knocks on wood* but when trying to make a DVD from edited footage of my kids, Vista takes a big duuurrrmmp.

Again, nothing major, something I try & do once a month (thanks to Nero). But since I paid for a DVD burner, I'd kind of like to use it.

Also, I can't flash tomato to an Asus wireless router I have, but that's playtime stuff.

Sev, you're right about the marketing and I have no doubt my recording software will run better on 7.

You're right about the software catching up too; probably bercause there's a big incentive to make those programs for systems that make up 85% of the market.

I was curious since I hear a lot of talk about whetber or nor Mac actually accesses big wav and video files differently.

Some Mac guys say they do, but I just don't know if they did or still do

As to the recording programs they're all great now.

It's the outboard hardware etc that makes the big dif.

Kos

I'm looking into the Roland VS 700 HW interface for Sonar.

I think that'll be a good partnership.

T I had a Coleco Adam!!

WSS

Archived