THE BROWNS BOARD

The Jags' Last Drive

dencyguy

Two things stuck out for me:

1) What was up with the Jags' player getting the personal foul without time coming off of the clock? I would imagine that was what RAC was so upset about on the sidelines--insert food delivery joke here--but it seems like there should have been a run-off inside of two minutes and with them out of timeouts. If they weren't going to stop the clock for the penalty, then it should have re-started before the next play; it seems like the Jags got at least one free throw into the end zone out of that.

2) I had to rub my eyes--a blitz on the final drive? And a sack? I hate that "Prevent defense prevents you from winning" line, because it presupposes two things: 1) That schmucks like us who watch football on our days off and/or court appearances have magically stumbled onto the truth that everyone in the NFL and NCAA is trying to suppress, and/or 2) That coaches just run prevent defenses to annoy us--teams run the prevent because, more often than not, it works. That said, it was great to see Pool's blitz on the last drive.

They give up more yards than I would like to see, but I'm becoming a big fan of our defense.

Dennis

Two things stuck out for me:

1) What was up with the Jags' player getting the personal foul without time coming off of the clock? I would imagine that was what RAC was so upset about on the sidelines--insert food delivery joke here--but it seems like there should have been a run-off inside of two minutes and with them out of timeouts. If they weren't going to stop the clock for the penalty, then it should have re-started before the next play; it seems like the Jags got at least one free throw into the end zone out of that.

2) I had to rub my eyes--a blitz on the final drive? And a sack? I hate that "Prevent defense prevents you from winning" line, because it presupposes two things: 1) That schmucks like us who watch football on our days off and/or court appearances have magically stumbled onto the truth that everyone in the NFL and NCAA is trying to suppress, and/or 2) That coaches just run prevent defenses to annoy us--teams run the prevent because, more often than not, it works. That said, it was great to see Pool's blitz on the last drive.

They give up more yards than I would like to see, but I'm becoming a big fan of our defense.

Dennis

I have been saying all season our D is not the problem on this team. When the offense is even just decent, the D improves. It's not championship-quality but it's serviceable and today it was slightly more than that.

Rogers stood out today, obviously, as did BMac and Sean Jones. Actually, all four DBs looked pretty good.

It is obvious we need a real LB and another impact DL. Corey Williams is becoming a joke out there. He looks fat and slow and I watched him give up on numerous plays today. He really is worthless out there.

All in all, the key to our D is our O scoring first. I ran the numbers from last year -- John, if you need a topic to run, try this one -- and we win a ridiculous percentage of the games we score first. That's held up this year too.

The one thing that hurt us all day today was Garrard escaping so much. A few more sacks and this game isn't so close.

It's true..the clock stopped for the penalty and wasn't even started again till the ball was snapped. They didn't even start the clock when the ball was set. It would've eliminated the last play for sure and quite possibly even the previous play where my heart almost stopped 3 times.

Archived