THE BROWNS BOARD

Alex Mack not claiming center position would be major disappointment

calfoxwc

The first preseason game? Playing center requires a learning curve that just doesn't happen overnight.

I'm figuring that Mack will be the starter at center before the regular season.

But, there have been other heralded centers to come into the league, and they took time.

I can't get all reactionary about the Browns, until after, well, maybe during the last preseason game.

Until then, it's a new coach, new terminology, new players/new starters, getting ready for the regular season.

I seriously doubt Fraley has an easy time of going up against Rogers...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/239790-...d-articles-body

Alex Mack Not Claiming Center Position Would Be Major Disappointment by Kim Lakner (Contributor) Written on August 20, 2009

Kim LaknerContributor, Featured Columnist

(Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images) If there was one starting position in the Browns' lineup that seemed almost written in stone coming into training camp, it would be at center.

I was reading Tony Grossi’s training camp log yesterday and it appears four-fifths of the Browns starting offensive line is taking shape. With Rex Hadnot going down with a torn MCL and Ryan Tucker not practicing since Monday, the right side of the line could belong to Floyd Womack and John St. Clair.

Joe Thomas and Eric Steinbach will most likely anchor the left side of the line.

Then there is the center position, a spot many thought Alex Mack would have nailed down by now. However, that has not been the case, and incumbent Hank Fraley is not ready to concede his starting position.

There is a chance the loser of this battle could slide over to a guard position. However, it would be a monumental disappointment if the guy the Browns traded down three times does not earn the most important position along the offensive line.

Coming out of the University of California, Mack was considered the top center in the 2009 draft. He was an Academic All-Pac-10 first-team selection in 2008 and was the type of intelligent player head coach Eric Mangini and general manager George Kokinis coveted.

If Mangini did not believe the center position was a problematic area for the Browns last season, he would not have spent a first-round pick on a center.

Considering rookie wide receiver Brian Robiskie has gotten off to a slow start, it makes it even more imperative Mack beats out Fraley for the center spot.

Mack has reportedly been having trouble going up against Shaun Rogers in practice. Learning to help contain arguably the best nose tackle in the NFL will help prepare Mack to go up against the likes of Kelly Gregg, Haloti Ngata and Casey Hampton four times this season.

With three more exhibition games to go until the start of the regular season, Mack will undoubtedly be the “center of attention.”

Cal, I thought Grossi made a good point on STO the other day about Mack. He firmly believes that he will probably end up the starter, but won't become a solid pro until next year. The disparity from Pac Ten ball to our division is sick, and Mack has some growing to do this year.

However, given the kid's work ethic, athleticism and smarts he should be able to add another ten pounds of muscle and become much more complete by next season. Let's just hope he can hold his own at least this year. He's got to be better than Fraley.

Mack has reportedly been having trouble going up against Shaun Rogers in practice.

Practicing against has to help but what kinda concerns me is Rogers has not been practicing nor his backup Purceil. I would think he would be looking good in camp at least this week he must be going against someone pretty low on the depth chart. Has anyone herd?

Heck I be happy getting any clear cut starter THIS year from this draft class. We need someone, anyone to step up make some noise.

Practicing against has to help but what kinda concerns me is Rogers has not been practicing nor his backup Purceil. I would think he would be looking good in camp at least this week he must be going against someone pretty low on the depth chart. Has anyone herd?

He's had good and bad moments against Aytuba Rubin. He is the backup to Rogers and not too bad a player. Purcell plays end and got hurt this week, but he is probably going to get the axe anyway. He's also out of practice squad options I'm pretty sure.

Mack won't be playing guard, that's a guarantee. He will end up as the starting center (discounting any injury). Center isn't the easiest position to learn in the NFL. Especially when you are looking at 3-4's (one gap and two gap) and 4-3's and zone blitz scheme's and other fronts he never dreamed of. Then to have a monster like Rogers setting up right over you while you are trying to make the blocking calls is a real SOB.

At this point he is already holdiong the point of attack better then Fraley and he run blocks better then Fraley, but he can be tricked and that will only come with some experience. So, by game one, he will be solid and by next season we will be a very nice center. I don't think we are going to the super bowl this year so you play the rookie, let him learn by his mistakes and then he will become a core player of this team for years to come.

Starting Fraley would be dumb as hell. Fraley is there only in case of injury or until Hadnot comes back.

The only thing that concerns me with this thought (letting him learn through his mistakes) is the additional pressure and potential for injury (sacks, etc) it puts on the QB. But, I agree, he will get better with experience.

Well, he isn't that bad. I do think he is better then Fraley at this point. within a few weeks and a couple of preseason games he will learn alot about the line calls. Remember he will be flanked by two veteran guards.

Archived