THE BROWNS BOARD

A nick-name for a powerful defense

BrownsfaninPa

The Browns are coming up in the rankings as a dominate team. Major additions to our defense is a big deference. If our defense can become as dominate as the classic Steelers Steel Curtin, what would be a good name for our dominating defense? Maybe something like - The Browns Bolder Blockade ?

47 minutes ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

The Browns are coming up in the rankings as a dominate team. Major additions to our defense is a big deference. If our defense can become as dominate as the classic Steelers Steel Curtin, what would be a good name for our dominating defense? Maybe something like - The Browns Bolder Blockade ?

I see this defense being improved, but certainly not that dominant.   Not such that it would compare to the Steeler Curtain, or the Purple People Eaters, or the Fearsome Foursome,  or the Doomsday Defense,  Monsters of the Midway,  Big Blue Wrecking Crew,  the Sack Exchange,  the Grits Blitz, The Legion of Boom.   etc.  

I don't even think that the 2000 Ravens,  one of the best defenses of all time, had a nickname.

Of course, hopefully these names come about organically, as a result of  fan effort, or as a result of a team member's comment;  which is what happened with the Dawg Defense when  Dixon and Minnifield started barking at each other.     Unfortunately,  some, many of them are conjured up by team marketing departments,  thus they are affected,  forged, spurious. 

I suggest we wait until we see how this defense does  before we start giving it a nickname. Last year they were ranked in the lower half of the league in both yards and points given up.  They were Top 10 in turnover ratio though.  But, I doubt that a pastry type nickname is what anyone would be looking for.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I don't even think that the 2000 Ravens,  one of the best defenses of all time, had a nickname.

They did....Ratbirds, Scum of the Earth, A$$holes, etc....

• Haha 1

The rule changes to favor offenses and the era of the super QBs with scrambling abilities make consistent dominant defenses almost extinct.

the hope is to make a few stops, force a timely turnover and force a couple FGs and win 35-27.

But I’ll play Something dog pound let’s stay nostalgic and please no stupid “Dawg Check” chants.

• Upvote 1

The Big Bad Browns sounds good to me... Keep it simple and fun... Just enjoy whatever success comes.. I think we're due for a fun ride...

8 minutes ago, nickers said:

The Big Bad Browns sounds good to me... Keep it simple and fun... Just enjoy whatever success comes.. I think we're due for a fun ride...

The Brown Bomber(s) is already spoken for by Joe Louis.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

What's wrong with what they are?........THE DAWGS!

Mike

Old and worn out.   and really should have only applied to the Dixon/Minnifield group.  You don't see the Vikings still calling their defense the Purple People Eaters, or the Rams  the Fearsome Foursome. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

A rock and roll related theme ?  Cleveland "D" rocks ?  Something else simple but still but rockin' good.

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

A rock and roll related theme ?  Cleveland "D" rocks ?  Something else simple but still but rockin' good.

We could take them on one of those ole Bear Bryant style illegal football retreats like he did with the Junction Boys to Junction, Texas in the 50's. Except in this case

we take them to a ranch in Texas. 

http://site.rockingdtx.com/

On 4/22/2021 at 6:54 PM, Orion said:

The Great Filter

Am I the only one who sees this as a great name... For a vacuum cleaner company's product? :D

On 4/23/2021 at 7:20 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

We could take them on one of those ole Bear Bryant style illegal football retreats like he did with the Junction Boys to Junction, Texas in the 50's. Except in this case

we take them to a ranch in Texas. 

http://site.rockingdtx.com/

So why did Texas A&M let Bear Bryant get away to Alabama?

6 hours ago, Nero said:

Am I the only one who sees this as a great name... For a vacuum cleaner company's product? :D

The Great Filter is the filter that keeps life from progressing.  It's the reason that we do not see life anywhere else in the universe.  In theory, the filter is still ahead of us.  

Anyway, The Great Filter is impenetrable...so you are correct, it's a great name for a defense.  :)

13 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

So why did Texas A&M let Bear Bryant get away to Alabama?

Bear Bryant was a former Bama player and as he said, "Mama called, and when mama calls you just have to come running."

Ironically the cat got out of the bag with two games left in an undefeated season following a once tied season and they were #1 at the time. A&M lost the next two games and their bowl game by a total of 6 points. You just could not mend all those broken hearts of the Junction Boys that had brought him there. Also ironically one of those boys coached Bama to a National Championship after Bear died. Gene Stallings.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

The Brown Eye

Cuz you can’t go through the Brown Eye without going through some shit.

Dammit dude. Some of us drink hot coffee with our computers in our laps and reckless posts like this forces us to choose between a burnt throat or a dead laptop. 

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Dammit dude. Some of us drink hot coffee with our computers in our laps and reckless posts like this forces us to choose between a burnt throat or a dead laptop. 

At my age it's just better to take the lap scalding and save the computer. 😱😂