THE BROWNS BOARD

Recent viewing

Series  I have watched lately,  full seasons of partial within say the last couple of months

Paradox

Shadows and Bone

The Irregulars  (one episode)

Superman and Lois  (currently watching)

The Lost Pirate Kingdom

The Age of the Samurai

WWII in Color

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

His Dark Materials

The Roman Empire

The Nevers  (one episode)

Murder Call   (old Australian cop show from the 90s)

There may have been a few others here and there, plus, as you see, there are some I need to continue to watch after only seeing an episode or 2. 

Opinions of any of these?  Some of the documentary type ones were as good as any:  Samurai/Pirates. 

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I've been doing a fair amount of audio books. When of which is the golden compass which I believe his dark material is based on.

Also some early sixties hard boiled crime novels from Richard Stark.

Cw Superman and Lois?

WSS

Yes. Its ok 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve watched a few episodes of the Nevers. Good concept for a show, and it’s got a couple things going for it that l generally dig (sci-fi/super power stuff and a period show set in 1800 something England), but it’s not really grabbing me yet. 

I think part of it is Joss Whedon’s stuff is pretty predictable. Also, with a mostly English/Irish cast l have a tough time easily following the dialogue sometimes. Accents are cool and all, but l find l have to pay attention a little harder to follow along and l’m not always wanting to do that with lazy tv watching. I have a similar issue with Shadow and Bone which l recently tried to watch.

5 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I’ve watched a few episodes of the Nevers. Good concept for a show, and it’s got a couple things going for it that l generally dig (sci-fi/super power stuff and a period show set in 1800 something England), but it’s not really grabbing me yet. 

I think part of it is Joss Whedon’s stuff is pretty predictable. Also, with a mostly English/Irish cast l have a tough time easily following the dialogue sometimes. Accents are cool and all, but l find l have to pay attention a little harder to follow along and l’m not always wanting to do that with lazy tv watching. I have a similar issue with Shadow and Bone which l recently tried to watch.

Have done a couple episodes of shadow and bone. Not loving it so far. No characters that I particularly like or really dislike. The accents and the sound mixing make it hard to figure out what the fuck they really saying.  I am also wondering if some of these actors are Americans doing a British accent… 

WSS

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Have done a couple episodes of shadow and bone. Not loving it so far. No characters that I particularly like or really dislike. The accents and the sound mixing make it hard to figure out what the fuck they really saying.  I am also wondering if some of these actors are Americans doing a British accent… 

WSS

I had the same issue with it,  but it got better  as it went along. 

54 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Saw one episode, and was so so about it.   May come back to it,  but we went on to other stuff we got into. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Shadows and Bone season 1. It was pretty meh for me. 

Also just finished part 1 of the first season of The Nevers. It got good. I’m into it. Episode 6 takes a wild turn. You’ll think there was a programming mistake and you’re watching a totally different show at the start. I’ll eat my words about Joss Whedon being predictable, though l’m sure the writers had more to do with that.

• Like 1