THE BROWNS BOARD

Play calling DA VS QUINN

Sez.EJ

I watched the game this morning. DA played better than last week. Thank goodness it could not get much worse. He shined where we knew he would.... Going down the field. The short passes are still a disaster. He gunned a speedball 2 yards behind Brayon on a slant and chest high. That ball needs to be out in front and much lower. The high fastball on the interception.. well, we have seen that too many times. Too nervous when the pocket begins to collapse. He stopped looking up field and just ran up the middle. He had a guy open if he would have only stepped up.

I don't believe the play calling really was fair to Quinn to be successful. First St. Clair killed a nice first down pass to furry..We get backed up 3rd and 10 then we run a DRAW play.. Not real fair for him to have a chance to move the chains.

The following series Another St. Clair good during the drive.. Quinn has 3rd and 10 and we run a WR screen type play to furry.. So Overall Quinn did not get the opportunities due to some playcalling.. Quinn looked sharp.. he did miss on a couple but he did't get many reps in this game. Harder to critique Quinn in this game with so few opportunities and good plays that were called back.

THe pass protection for these guys seemed to be night and day also. DA had it, Quinn didn't. Not making excuses for Quinn. Just making observations since DA had the chance on 3rd downs to let the receivers run downfield routes. I still have quinn slightly ahead in this competition. DA just does not get it with the short passing game. We run a west coast offense..If you cannot make the short throws Forgetaboudit.

Next week 2 weeks will be interesting as we play teams with REAL defenses.. unlike Detroit.. I see why they are 0-16.

What part of RIGGED competition do you guys not get?

DA will be our starter for better or worse through touchdown and anderception from jekyll to hyde so watch the games with a keg of beer and drink until your fried..hehehehe ;)

Greenbay is no joke and detroit is the worst team in the nfl no the competition hasnt been fair...

we were up by 20-0 no coach would risk an int on 3rd and long. he stayed with safe plays. it wasnt' biased playcalling

Risk? There is no risk in preseason. I don't think it was biased necessarily, just the way it shook out.

I can't believe I watched the same game as the rest of you....

Is it so hard to give credit when credit is due?? DA played great that 1st quarter... Moved the ball down field, made good reads and adjustments and executed a nifty screen pass... What does the guy have to do to get some props??? The man had a 106 QB rating in the 1st quarter, if that were Quinn you'd all be saying the competition is over....

Quinn clearly outplayed DA in Green Bay and DA clearly outplayed Quinn against Detroit---nothing more, nothing less...

The bias on this board is unbelieveable....

Peace

T.Dawg

Is it so hard to give credit when credit is due?? DA played great that 1st quarter... Moved the ball down field, made good reads and adjustments and executed a nifty screen pass... What does the guy have to do to get some props??? The man had a 106 QB rating in the 1st quarter, if that were Quinn you'd all be saying the competition is over....

Quinn clearly outplayed DA in Green Bay and DA clearly outplayed Quinn against Detroit---nothing more, nothing less...

The bias on this board is unbelieveable....

Peace

T.Dawg

It's not that most of us don't think he had a good game...he did. It's the fact that his body of work up until now has proven he cannot be the type of QB needed to get to the next level, whereas Quinn has yet to prove himself one way or the other. Hence, logical fans want Quinn to start.

It's not that most of us don't think he had a good game...he did. It's the fact that his body of work up until now has proven he cannot be the type of QB needed to get to the next level, whereas Quinn has yet to prove himself one way or the other. Hence, logical fans want Quinn to start.

I was never trying claim there was a "bias" or a conspiracy against Quinn with the play calling. I was just noting (from what I saw)...that was the way the play calling washed out... The 3rd down calls just did not give Quinn the same opportunities to try to pass the ball downfield to keep drives going. That is all I was saying.

I agree with Highway gal. Mangini is not going to show us who the starter is until AFTER next week. I believe each guy will get a quarter with the starters and mangini will name the winner and they guy will go the full first half in game 4 and into the season.

I could see Mangini not announcing his qb up until kickoff on week 1. Against a team that has us overmatched, it would make sense for him to make the Vikings prepare for both QBs. Meanwhile, Mangini should have a great strategy against the Vikings QB whom he coached last season

Risk? There is no risk in preseason. I don't think it was biased necessarily, just the way it shook out.

because in the season it is a risk, hence they practiced it in preseason. just because the games don't count doesn't mean they are just gonna do boneheaded shit that makes no sense. they practice what they will do in the regular season.

we were up by 20-0 no coach would risk an int on 3rd and long. he stayed with safe plays. it wasnt' biased playcalling

I agree.....it crazy to think the staff is rigging the playcalling....AND...if they are, that means they do like Anderson more for whatever reason and are wanting that to show on the field. They see how players interact...it could be there is a tighter knit group with DA at the helm. That is only an example and nothing I know to be fact, but with all the talk of BQ's intangibles, it could be DA brings his own set as well and his are deemed more important by the staff than those of Quinn.

It is that 07 season that Anderson has in his favor...and that is big. Coaches see that sort of thing and they don't easily toss it to the curb.

The man had a 106 QB rating in the 1st quarter

Yeah but there is three more quarters in the game. If BQ looked sweet in the first and had a 106 rating and shit the bed in the second I would say something about his performance too. I am glad he started strong but he didn't finish the half strong and I doubt with the way he has played in the past that he would have gotten his rating anywhere back near 106. Manigini definitely was not happy about the int right before the half. Said Da should have ate it in his post game.

He was plagued by penalties, conservative playcalling, few opportunities, and he got hit trying to go deep to Braylon.

and in his opening statement after the game he made sure to throw everybody under the bus.

what a guy.

QB Brady Quinn (On his performance)- “I think it went well but we had some penalties there that stopped a couple drives, and some unfortunate circumstances, and there are some things that we are still trying to work out. I didn’t have as many reps as last week so you just try to do the best you can with what you have to work with.”

Hey I thought we used to have a saying on here.

"If the team gets penalties it's because the QB doesn't know what the hell he's doing."

Is that rule no longer in effect?

Guest Masters
"If the team gets penalties it's because the QB doesn't know what the hell he's doing."

Is that rule no longer in effect?

Um, that is never what people have said. But you keep going with the broad stroke. It works well for you :rolleyes:

Guest Masters
and in his opening statement after the game he made sure to throw everybody under the bus.

what a guy.

QB Brady Quinn (On his performance)- “I think it went well but we had some penalties there that stopped a couple drives, and some unfortunate circumstances, and there are some things that we are still trying to work out. I didn’t have as many reps as last week so you just try to do the best you can with what you have to work with.”

And where pray tell is the throwing under the bus? Seeing as how Brady said WE, WE and I. So who did he throw under the bus again?

Guest Masters
If he didn't want to throw somebody under the bus he wouldn't have mentioned penalties, because we know well and good who he's throwing under the bus.

If he wanted to throw somebody under the bus, he'd have mentioned St. Clair specifically.

Now why don't you go look up what the question BQ was asked prior to that statement, and you'll get your answer as to why he said what he said.

Archived