THE BROWNS BOARD

Record holders trivia

The Gipper

I know a lot of you aren't down with the trivia necessarily, but I did promise that I would hit you with some on occasion, so here you go:

Here is some trivia about certain record holders. Some of this, I agree is pretty obscure. I guess that is why they call it trivia. Browns mostly. As always, try your hand without googling:

1. What defunct NFL franchise won the most games before folding?

2. What defunct franchise played (and lost) the most games before folding? (Hint, not the same as question 1)

3. What active franchise has won the most games in NFL history?

4. What active franchise has lost the most games in NFL history? (Hint, not the same as question 3)

5. What year did the Browns attain the highest home attendance in regular season games?

6. Who holds the Browns record for most sacks in a career?

7. What QB/WR combination hooked up for the most TD passes in Browns history?

8. Who holds the Browns record for highest career kickoff return average (minimum 50 attempts)?

9. Which opposing quarteback holds the record for most TD passes in a game vs. the Browns?

10. Which opposing player hold the record for most punt return yards in a game vs. the Browns?

11. Which opposing QB holds the record for most pass attempts in a game vs. the Browns?

12. Which opposing player holds the record for most rushing attempts in a game vs. the Browns?

13. In which season did the Browns QBs suffer the fewest sacks, and how many?

14. What opponents have had the most sacks in a game against the Browns, and how many?

15. True or false. Ozzie Newsome has double the number of career catches for the Browns as the next Browns player?

I'll give a couple a shot:

6. Clay Matthews--IIRC, I was at a game where he broke the team record, only to have it taken back later when the stats guys said that the QB was at the LoS when he tackled him, but I would imagine he broke the record eventually, and I don't think there has been anyone close to that number since.

14. I'll take the Colts as one of the teams--I was at the opener in Indy in (I think) 1992, when they sacked Bernie 11 times, and it's hard to imagine a line sucking more in front of more of a statue QB than Bernie.

15. That sounds just crazy enough to be true.

Dennis

I'll give a couple a shot:

6. Clay Matthews--IIRC, I was at a game where he broke the team record, only to have it taken back later when the stats guys said that the QB was at the LoS when he tackled him, but I would imagine he broke the record eventually, and I don't think there has been anyone close to that number since.

14. I'll take the Colts as one of the teams--I was at the opener in Indy in (I think) 1992, when they sacked Bernie 11 times, and it's hard to imagine a line sucking more in front of more of a statue QB than Bernie.

15. That sounds just crazy enough to be true.

Dennis

You got the first 2 you answered right (though there is a second team that also got the Browns for 11 sacks). The last one is up for debate. I will explain when I give the answers to all questions.

(That was a lovely O-line we had in '92, wasn't it.)

alright, here are some guesses from the top of my head, no googling:

I know a lot of you aren't down with the trivia necessarily, but I did promise that I would hit you with some on occasion, so here you go:

Here is some trivia about certain record holders. Some of this, I agree is pretty obscure. I guess that is why they call it trivia. Browns mostly. As always, try your hand without googling:

1. What defunct NFL franchise won the most games before folding? Canton Bulldogs

2. What defunct franchise played (and lost) the most games before folding? (Hint, not the same as question 1) Akron Pros

3. What active franchise has won the most games in NFL history? Green Bay Packers

4. What active franchise has lost the most games in NFL history? (Hint, not the same as question 3) Cardinals

5. What year did the Browns attain the highest home attendance in regular season games? 1987

6. Who holds the Browns record for most sacks in a career? Clay Matthews

7. What QB/WR combination hooked up for the most TD passes in Browns history? Graham / Lavelli

8. Who holds the Browns record for highest career kickoff return average (minimum 50 attempts)? Bobby Mitchell

9. Which opposing quarteback holds the record for most TD passes in a game vs. the Browns? Charley Johnson

10. Which opposing player hold the record for most punt return yards in a game vs. the Browns? Lemar Parrish

11. Which opposing QB holds the record for most pass attempts in a game vs. the Browns? Scott Mitchell

12. Which opposing player holds the record for most rushing attempts in a game vs. the Browns? Gary Brown

13. In which season did the Browns QBs suffer the fewest sacks, and how many? 2007 20

14. What opponents have had the most sacks in a game against the Browns, and how many? Colts 11 (thanks dency)

15. True or false. Ozzie Newsome has double the number of career catches for the Browns as the next Browns player?

True

alright, here are some guesses from the top of my head, no googling:

True

OK, Zombo got #4 right, (Cardinals and Bears are the two oldest franchises in the league...that ought to give you a clue to the answer to #3) and #9 (we did just have some conversation about Charley Johnson's feat on this board), and as I said before #15 is debatable.

The others were good tries but not right.

Since I am going to not be around the next couple of days I will go ahead and give the answers to these questions:

1. What defunct NFL franchise won the most games before folding?

This is the Frankford Yellow Jackets of Philadelphia who won 69 games, going 69-45-15 from 1924-1931, including winning the 1926 NFL title.

2. What defunct franchise played (and lost) the most games before folding? (Hint, not the same as question 1)

This is the Brooklyn Tigers, 100 losses. They were 60-100 from 1930 to 1944. Considering their longevity, if they could only have survived WWII this franchise may have still been in existance today.

3. What active franchise has won the most games in NFL history?

Da Bears with 686 victories.

4. What active franchise has lost the most games in NFL history? (Hint, not the same as question 3)

The Cardinals with 674 losses. It should be no surprise that these two bookend these lists as they are the only 2 surviving franchises from the original 1920 NFL season. (Packers joined in 1921)

5. What year did the Browns attain the highest home attendance in regular season games?

1980 The Kardiac Kids season with home attendance of 620,496, 8 game home season. Of course, in the new stadium with 8 games that figure could not be matched as that averages out to 77,562 per game. The new stadium only holds 72 or 73 thousand.

Clay Mathews with 76.5 sacks in his Browns career. His longevity helped certainly. Second on the list was Jerry Sherk, third is Walter Johnson.

7. What QB/WR combination hooked up for the most TD passes in Browns history?

Ryan to Collins connected for a TD 49 times. Second most were Graham to Lavelli and Sipe to Newsome, 29 times each.

8. Who holds the Browns record for highest career kickoff return average (minimum 50 attempts)?

Greg Pruitt with a 26.26 return average. According to the Browns official site, Cribbs is only 4th in this category.

9. Which opposing quarteback holds the record for most TD passes in a game vs. the Browns?

As discussed in a previous thread, good ole Charley Johnson of the St. Louis Cardinals scorched the Browns for 6 TD passes on 9/26/1965.

10. Which opposing player hold the record for most punt return yards in a game vs. the Browns?

The Immortal Bob Hayes, the fastest man on Earth had 141 yards in punt returns on 12/24/1967.

11. Which opposing QB holds the record for most pass attempts in a game vs. the Browns?

Immortal Burnout #1, Todd Marinovich of the Raiders threw 59 passes vs. the Browns on 9/20/1992.

12. Which opposing player holds the record for most rushing attempts in a game vs. the Browns?

Immortal Burnout #2 Ricky Williams had 40 rushing attempts for the Saints on 10/31/1999. Happy Halloween

13. In which season did the Browns QBs suffer the fewest sacks, and how many?

1994 the Browns suffered only 14 QB sacks. Vinny T. was the primary QB that year.

14. What opponents have had the most sacks in a game against the Browns, and how many?

Twice the Browns were sacked 11 times. In 1992 by the Colts, and in 1984 by the Chiefs.

Note that in one year they only get our QB 14 times, yet in a single game they can get them nearly as many times.

Here is the controversy: The Browns official website has Newsome with 662 career catches. It then shows in second place Gary Collins with 331 career catches, exactly 1/2 of Newsome's total. However, looking at Pro-football-reference.com it shows that both Dante Lavelli and Mac Speedie having more catches than Collins. Lavelli with 386 and Speedie with 349.

What I don't know is if the Browns official website is not including AAFC games. I know pro-football-reference does include those games. I don't know why the Browns official website would not include those stats. They do include the list of the scores of the AAFC years. So, the answer could be true or false depending on which source you reference.

1. What defunct NFL franchise won the most games before folding? Akron Indians

2. What defunct franchise played (and lost) the most games before folding? (Hint, not the same as question 1) I know this, Brooklyn Tigers

3. What active franchise has won the most games in NFL history? If it wasn't the Packers, must be da Bears

5. What year did the Browns attain the highest home attendance in regular season games? 1999

7. What QB/WR combination hooked up for the most TD passes in Browns history? Kosar/Slaughter

8. Who holds the Browns record for highest career kickoff return average (minimum 50 attempts)? Greg Pruitt

10. Which opposing player hold the record for most punt return yards in a game vs. the Browns? Not even a clue

11. Which opposing QB holds the record for most pass attempts in a game vs. the Browns? Joe Montana

12. Which opposing player holds the record for most rushing attempts in a game vs. the Browns? Franco Harris

13. In which season did the Browns QBs suffer the fewest sacks, and how many? 2007 - 19

15. True or false. Ozzie Newsome has double the number of career catches for the Browns as the next Browns player? True and False :)

Here is the controversy: The Browns official website has Newsome with 662 career catches. It then shows in second place Gary Collins with 331 career catches, exactly 1/2 of Newsome's total. However, looking at Pro-football-reference.com it shows that both Dante Lavelli and Mac Speedie having more catches than Collins. Lavelli with 386 and Speedie with 349.

What I don't know is if the Browns official website is not including AAFC games. I know pro-football-reference does include those games. I don't know why the Browns official website would not include those stats. They do include the list of the scores of the AAFC years. So, the answer could be true or false depending on which source you reference.

I've always been of the opinion that AAFC records, championships, etc. shouldn't count. It doesn't take anything away from the legacy of the 1950-1964 Browns to acknowledge that the first four years were played against inferior opponents. Just like it doesn't take anything away from Jim Kelly or Warren Moon if people don't count their USFL or CFL stats. They were great NFL players, but it's just as silly to include the Browns' epic victory over the Buffalo Bisons in 1948 as it is to respond to someone who calls Bobby Hebert a loser by saying, "Ever heard of a little thing called the USFL Championship?"

Dennis

Bobby Hebert sucks.

Archived