THE BROWNS BOARD

LaPorta the Real Deal?

ClevelandFanForLife

Since coming back he has gotten a hit in 7 straight games and has raised his average about 60 points. In my opinion, this is the LaPorta we are going to get used to seeing in the big leagues. He re-tuned his swing and is hitting the cover off of the ball. I think that this guy will be a staple in our outfield for years to come. However I am not so foolish to already put LaPorta in Cooperstown. He obviously still has to show us he can clutch hit and hit with power more consistently. However, for right now, he looks great. The CC trade last year is already looking better. Hopefully Zach Jackson comes around as well.

We haven't even seen the best of him yet. He hasn't drawn a single walk since his return, and he hasn't really shown his true power yet. Once the game slows down a bit and he gets more patient (like he's been his whole career in the minors), he'll be even better.

I think his floor is "Good" and has the po to be way better than that.

We will have a pretty good idea once he gets 4-5 hundred big league at bats under his belt.

I think you would have seen a lot more from LaPorta when he was first called up, had they just played him. Very, very few players can play one day, take 3 off, pinch hit, take 4 days off, play, etc. He was hitting something like .450 for the month leading up to his call-up, and Wedge sits him for two days immediately after, then platoons him.

Anyway. While he's hitting now, I don't think we've seen much of what he will be in the future. I have no doubt that he's a legit bat in a contending lineup, so I'm most interested in how his defense shapes up.

I think his floor is "Good" and has the po to be way better than that.

We will have a pretty good idea once he gets 4-5 hundred big league at bats under his belt.

Agreed. With his bat, worst case scenario is he turns into a Carlos Pena, Adam Dunn type who'll hit around 30 homers with a weak average. Best case he keeps improving and turns into a more prototypical, Miguel Cabrera, Ryan Braun type cleanup hitter.

.300 avg and 30 homers would look pretty good in the middle of this lineup...

As for his defense...I'm not worried at all. He's looked pretty good in Left, certainly hasn't embarrassed himself out there. With Crowe and moreso Brantley available, I think the team will take the speed/defense approach and stick LaPorta in the 1B/DH mix. I think he can handle himself in either one.

He put one into the 12th row tonight. Why this guy was splitting time with Delucci on his first callup is beyond me.

If I haven't said it yet, I'm officially on the "new manager" bandwagon.

I know it's pretty much the same story as last year...but I'm really excited about next year. I've explained why enough times...but since this game is terrible I'll do it again.

LaPorta > Francisco/Garko

Sizemore - should be healthy, rested

Masterson, Carrasco, Rondon > Scott Lewis, Sowers, Huff

Laffey > Pavano

Chris Perez, Sipp > anyone else who started this season in the pen

Joe Smith - healthy

Westbrook - Anything is better than what he's done this year

Valbuena - improving every day

Rafael Perez - bouncing back

Peralta - has a full time position

Santana, Brantley - dynamic. One middle of the order monster and one 40-steal guy.

I think that's about it.

Archived