THE BROWNS BOARD

The Interception That Changed our fortunes

BobPOUND!

I am sure we all remember it.. That fateful throw from Baker to OBJ during the Cinci game. (follow link)..

From that interception started a whole new Cleveland Browns team, with Baker Mayfield leading the way... I have never heard OBJ talk of that interception nor lay the blame for his season ending injury on Baker. But they both have to have been thinking about it... From what I saw of Baker, he took that interception to heart in a big way.. From that day on, I saw a different Baker Mayfield. One who takes his job dead serious.. I think he realized he could have ended the career of a very dynamic Wide Receiver, one that could have been his Jerry Rice to his hopefully Joe Montana.. Those type of chances don't come very often...  After that play and after that game, it was a tale of two teams.. Let's be honest, before the Cinci game, not many of us had the confidence in this team we had after the last game of the season against Pittsburgh...

I think Baker grew up after that play. Realizing that these men he's surrounded by are relying on him to not only make them look good, but TO NOT INJURE OR KILL THEM.. He made infinitely better choices after that game. The team responded by stepping up and making great plays and doing the little things correct. Penalties went down after that game, dropped balls went down after that game... Just a completely different team...

I hope that this will continue into this new season. I was one of those people in the few weeks after that game that posited that Baker might be better without OBJ.. But that was incorrect. I think Baker got better because he realized he may have ended a great career and made a commitment to himself to NEVER do that again.... 

Go BROWNS!!!

39 minutes ago, BobPOUND! said:

I am sure we all remember it.. That fateful throw from Baker to OBJ during the Cinci game. (follow link)..

From that interception started a whole new Cleveland Browns team, with Baker Mayfield leading the way... I have never heard OBJ talk of that interception nor lay the blame for his season ending injury on Baker. But they both have to have been thinking about it... From what I saw of Baker, he took that interception to heart in a big way.. From that day on, I saw a different Baker Mayfield. One who takes his job dead serious.. I think he realized he could have ended the career of a very dynamic Wide Receiver, one that could have been his Jerry Rice to his hopefully Joe Montana.. Those type of chances don't come very often...  After that play and after that game, it was a tale of two teams.. Let's be honest, before the Cinci game, not many of us had the confidence in this team we had after the last game of the season against Pittsburgh...

I think Baker grew up after that play. Realizing that these men he's surrounded by are relying on him to not only make them look good, but TO NOT INJURE OR KILL THEM.. He made infinitely better choices after that game. The team responded by stepping up and making great plays and doing the little things correct. Penalties went down after that game, dropped balls went down after that game... Just a completely different team...

I hope that this will continue into this new season. I was one of those people in the few weeks after that game that posited that Baker might be better without OBJ.. But that was incorrect. I think Baker got better because he realized he may have ended a great career and made a commitment to himself to NEVER do that again.... 

Go BROWNS!!!

I’m going with time in the new system under a new coach and coordinator.  They needed Reps. It took a half a year to get it down. I believe it would have happened sooner had they had an actual preseason.  It was a better offense after the bye week too when they all admittedly reviewed the season and made adjustments.