THE BROWNS BOARD

EO Vax Mandate, The Bill of Rights, Polarization

VaporTrail

The hypocrisy from all sides of the government right now is hilarious. 20 years of silence when GWB started using EOs to curb constitutional rights. They cheered on dubya saying "I'm the decider" when it came to killing people and indefinitely detaining them without the approval of Congress. When Obama used EOs to extend that presidential power to kill American citizens, none of them batted an eye. Republicans cheered when Trump promised to lower the standard for who could be droned. The Democrats who did bitch about dubya were cheering on Mueller when he said to hell with attorney-client privilege and raided Trump's lawyer's office, or when he tried to refuse basic discovery to the defense on the grounds that his evidence might end up "discrediting ongoing investigations."

Now that Biden's used an EO to mandate vaccinations. Only now are long time GOPers are now incredulous about how the Bill of Rights is being trampled. Yet very few of them are calling out what their own party did to personal freedoms in the past 20 years. Blue circles are salivating over the prospect that the state unleashes the hounds on the unvaccinated - I've heard that they should be added the No-Fly list, or sent to Gitmo, or basically segregated from the rest of society with a vaccine passport. If a Republican suggested the same thing, everyone blue would be calling them a racist. 

This country is best at overreacting. We overreacted to 9/11 and the Bush admin started us down this awful path of eroding personal freedoms. The Biden admin is now overreacting to the pandemic and treating personal freedoms much the same as Bush did. The country needs a come-to-Jesus moment right now. The people cheering on political and legal consequences for the vaccine hesitant need to know that those same tools will be used when the other side gains power. With the trend of increasing polarization, I can't imagine they'll like where it leads. 

49 minutes ago, VaporTrail said:

The hypocrisy from all sides of the government right now is hilarious. 20 years of silence when GWB started using EOs to curb constitutional rights. They cheered on dubya saying "I'm the decider" when it came to killing people and indefinitely detaining them without the approval of Congress. When Obama used EOs to extend that presidential power to kill American citizens, none of them batted an eye. Republicans cheered when Trump promised to lower the standard for who could be droned. The Democrats who did bitch about dubya were cheering on Mueller when he said to hell with attorney-client privilege and raided Trump's lawyer's office, or when he tried to refuse basic discovery to the defense on the grounds that his evidence might end up "discrediting ongoing investigations."

Now that Biden's used an EO to mandate vaccinations. Only now are long time GOPers are now incredulous about how the Bill of Rights is being trampled. Yet very few of them are calling out what their own party did to personal freedoms in the past 20 years. Blue circles are salivating over the prospect that the state unleashes the hounds on the unvaccinated - I've heard that they should be added the No-Fly list, or sent to Gitmo, or basically segregated from the rest of society with a vaccine passport. If a Republican suggested the same thing, everyone blue would be calling them a racist. 

This country is best at overreacting. We overreacted to 9/11 and the Bush admin started us down this awful path of eroding personal freedoms. The Biden admin is now overreacting to the pandemic and treating personal freedoms much the same as Bush did. The country needs a come-to-Jesus moment right now. The people cheering on political and legal consequences for the vaccine hesitant need to know that those same tools will be used when the other side gains power. With the trend of increasing polarization, I can't imagine they'll like where it leads. 

My body…my choice I believe is the battle cry for the baby killers.

I would say it seems appropriate in this case.

• Upvote 2