THE BROWNS BOARD

Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

Herman M

I think it would be a good thing, we could then move forward with change. No opposition to have to deal with. We wouldnt have to deal with all the hecklers at town hall meetings it would be a civil place. And if they dont agree then we should have people like town hall hecklers go take some mandatory classes on how to behave as a citizen.

Sure. Lock down a means for free people to communicate.

Makes sense to me...if stifling freedom is the goal.

Afganistan. China. North Korea. United States?

Why would something like this even be considered. Makes The Patriot Act - supported by both Parties - look like kids stuff.

What is there to consider, Coco?

To be honest, I cannot see something like this actually come to a vote. It is does, batten down the hatches.

I agree Dan.

All partisanship aside...our freedoms are being attacked one by one.

We need a total wildcard candidate....like a Ron Paul to be elected (am not saying he is or was the guy...just an example)

The problem is too many people feel like they would be wasting a vote...dems afraid a rep will be elected and the other way around....when in reality we are wasting our votes on people who really don't give a damn about America and the American way.

This is beginning to make movies like Rollerball, Running Man, and Soilent Green and several others look a little more than simply si fi flicks. In all of those you saw newscasts and I remember thinking it will never be like that....well....here we are.

Here we go again, The obama machine wanting total control over every aspect of our lives.

This would be a good way to stop everyday people from sharing information. I dont want government controled media.

We dont live in Russia or N Korea.

Our history has shown how we have gone to war and un-seated many dictators, so why do we want to become one?

The patriot act was squeezed in during the worst fear this country had seen since pearl harbor. Doesnt make it right and im not blaming any party but you arent going to close pandoras box.

I agree with you, Danamal.

Apparently, things are only going to get worse. Ironically, most people will likely support such attacks on our Constitution. It is like a piece of Swiss Cheese as it is.

welcome to the boards, Mr. Jong Ill.

no problem with a repressive gov't removing your rights under the guise of "protection"? never thought that'd come from you...

First of all Choc. we've given up most of what some may call "freedoms" for less worthy reasons than national securuitty IMO.

If you have the time make me a list of "constitutionally guaranteed" freedoms that haven't been corrupted since the bill of rights came to be.

And even though I'm at odds with the Obama administration on many issues I do NOT believe the guy is Hiltle, Il, Pol Pot or Castro.

(Well maybe Castro..... ;) )

WSS

Unless there's an extremely specific clause that states EXACTLY when the gov't can control it and for how long, etc, they'll just declare an emergency and control it any time they want. That's why the bills they write are 1,000 pages long and super vague. So they can do crap like that.

General Motors was essentially taken over by the gov't and Obama said it will be run by a board who will make all the decisions EXCEPT "in the case of an emergency" where the gov't will be able to make the decisions. All he has to do to take it over completely is cry "Emergency!" and it's his.

Prior to the Patriot Act, there wasn't a means that would allow us to seize information about terrorists. We could do it for people laundering money, smuggling drugs, people inciting conspiracies, etc, but not for terrorists trying to destroy our country. It was a good move.

I think it would be a good thing, we could then move forward with change. No opposition to have to deal with. We wouldnt have to deal with all the hecklers at town hall meetings it would be a civil place. And if they dont agree then we should have people like town hall hecklers go take some mandatory classes on how to behave as a citizen.

Yeah, lets just violate the 1st Amendment and make it so people can't do anything but write a yes or a no down on a card at the town hall meetings. If they write anything else, they're arrested. If they whisper to their neighbor, they're handcuffed and flogged. If they talk out during the meeting at all, they're tear gassed and thrown in prison for 3 months. I do hope you're being sarcastic.

I agree with you, Danamal.

Apparently, things are only going to get worse. Ironically, most people will likely support such attacks on our Constitution. It is like a piece of Swiss Cheese as it is.

"They that would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

welcome to the boards, Mr. Jong Ill.

no problem with a repressive gov't removing your rights under the guise of "protection"? never thought that'd come from you...

It's ok if it offers them protection. But to give a poor man prescription medication would be the work of the devil.

Yeah, lets just violate the 1st Amendment and make it so people can't do anything but write a yes or a no down on a card at the town hall meetings. If they write anything else, they're arrested. If they whisper to their neighbor, they're handcuffed and flogged. If they talk out during the meeting at all, they're tear gassed and thrown in prison for 3 months. I do hope you're being sarcastic.

Better yet, why not simply engrave a number or other comparable mark right into our foreheads?

If anything, all this bill really does is prove how much more hip & cool this administration is compared to the last. Wiretapping phones?? ppsssssshhhh! Who uses a landline phone anymore?

If you want to shove the Bill of Rights up anyone's ass these days, start with their face(book).

Archived