THE BROWNS BOARD

The Many Saints of Newark: The Sopranos'

Well... I won't divulge too much info but to say... I thought it was pretty good... But not great... The Actors did a great job fulfilling their respective roles.. And Michael Gandolfini did a very good young Tony Soprano... But as I watched this movie... I always just got the feeling it just lacked something that the original series had.. I'm not sure I can put my finger on it... The only thing is maybe there is another series on the horizon (rumoured) to fill in some of the obvious gaps this movie has... I really hope so... Because the movie just leaves you wanting more.. Ray Liotta did a nice job as always and it's always nice having a big name in the picture... The movie is very entertaining and not a total loss.. But was not what I really expected.. You decide for yourselves.. Its running on HBO/MAX through Oct 31st and playing at various movie venues... I give it 4 stars...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nickers said:

Well... I won't divulge too much info but to say... I thought it was pretty good... But not great... The Actors did a great job fulfilling their respective roles.. And Michael Gandolfini did a very good young Tony Soprano... But as I watched this movie... I always just got the feeling it just lacked something that the original series had.. I'm not sure I can put my finger on it... The only thing is maybe there is another series on the horizon (rumoured) to fill in some of the obvious gaps this movie has... I really hope so... Because the movie just leaves you wanting more.. Ray Liotta did a nice job as always and it's always nice having a big name in the picture... The movie is very entertaining and not a total loss.. But was not what I really expected.. You decide for yourselves.. Its running on HBO/MAX through Oct 31st and playing at various movie venues... I give it 4 stars...

Just got back from it. I went for the brick and mortar. A true prequel.

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Just got back from it. I went for the brick and mortar. A true prequel.

One thing I will say... They did a great job capturing the 60's/70's vibe...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One thing that was consistent.. Every time you turn around... People are eating food LOL.. Just like in the series...

I just finished it up. I liked it pretty well. I think the biggest kick l got out of it was seeing younger actors pull off the mannerisms of their older counterparts, especially the guys who played Sil and Junior Soprano. 

I always love period stuff too so it was cool seeing the backdrop of the 60s and 70s throughout the film with the cars, props snd music. 

I also liked how they tied in historical events and how they tied in the civil rights movement, mostly because it really does relate to the mob’s activity in the 70s. From what l gather, there was a span of time where the mob “let” black gangs “take over” some of the things they had been doing. This led to police crackdowns being directed at those gangs, who were smaller and less centralized in structure, instead of them and allowed them to morph into the more corporatized version of the mob that we see in the Sopranos. 

As a side thing, l recently learned about an episode of the Rockford Files which is believed to be what inspired the Sopranos. The episode was written by David Chase, the creator of the Sopranos.

https://slate.com/culture/2014/07/the-rockford-files-episode-that-inspired-the-sopranos-1979s-just-a-coupla-guys.html?fbclid=IwAR17XR-yB35oPmOo2F-7zbJ5FPFMMcDfI7Ks9CTMI97RwOCZPjrtbpqYlYc

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1