THE BROWNS BOARD

Our Wide Receivers Blow

Zombo

14 hours ago, browns52 said:

i'd put a bet that they finish below 500.......starting to think that maybe they should let baker get that surgery now instead of the end of the season....let keenum finish out what now appears to be a below mediocre season....oh well....this is to be expected with cleveland browns football...

I'm thinking they go into Cincy & NE with Baker starting. If they pull out Ws, it's business as usual. If not, well then Baker & the Browns are surely doomed for 2021 and he gets surgery.

9 hours ago, Soju said:

hard to blame the receiver when Baker's throwing it 5-10 feet above their heads on 50% - 75% of the plays

A little exaggeration there, but yes, virtually all his misses are high.

14 hours ago, hoorta said:

Z, I'm as pissed as anyone about that crap performance...  ESPECIALLY because we had a golden opportunity when the Bengals lost.  I'm not going to watch the replay until tomorrow...  Just calm down, and don't be kicking people off because you're pissed. 

Too late.

Now let's get our shit together and go 13-4.

Landry will be Landry, he just had a horrible day.

But I can't give OBJ excuses anymore, he's the worst #1 receiver in the league, give DPJ a shot at it when he healthy. And get Schwartz involved too. We need to find playmakers ... and quick.

Z

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Too late.

Now let's get our shit together and go 13-4.

Landry will be Landry, he just had a horrible day.

But I can't give OBJ excuses anymore, he's the worst #1 receiver in the league, give DPJ a shot at it when he healthy. And get Schwartz involved too. We need to find playmakers ... and quick.

Z

Yeah, OBJ has been a non factor. Ahem, might as well say it now.. The game this coming Sunday against the Bengals pretty much IS the season.  

Juice fumbling on that 2nd to last drive was the game decider to me. Baker was fired up and in a good rhythm on that drive. That felt the drive that was going to win the game, and of course that happens. He's the one dude I'm willing to give a break, but I for sure agree with the sentiment here overall. outside of Landry going into next year, I think we need an overhaul at the position. I have and am a Higgins supporter, but he's been a net zero at most out there this season. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/31/2021 at 4:29 PM, Zombo said:

Start People's Jones, Landry (horrible day) and Scwartz. Trade OBJ for a stale bag of Doritos.

These guys are of no help at all.

Z

I agree.  I was talking with my son as we drove back from the game today.  How much worse could it be if we replaced both OBJ and Landry?  Maybe not this year in total, but they make a lot of money.  We could bring in someone for a lot less.  Those guys are paid top end money, but if we put some time in to a list, we could probably name 30-40 receivers who are better than those guys.

To piggyback a bit, we have this problem with other position groups.  A. Walker might be a leader, but he can't tackle.  Billings is a tub of lard who gets pushed around.  The guy sucks.  Worse than that, 3rd round pick Tommy Togiai can't even be activated in his place.  How good can that guy be?

15 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

MOM always said, "If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all" So............"........."

Mike

OK, well- the Rams are 100% "all in" on the Super Bowl or bust this year train.  Just traded for Von Miller. Pretty sure they won't have any first or second round picks for the next three years.  

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

How much worse could it be if we replaced both OBJ and Landry?

I like Landry.  He's good for the team.  Except when he's getting 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalties....which he hasn't gotten this year.  I'm all for improving upon things though. 

Edit:  I've always felt that Landry should be used here as the Wes Welker of the Browns.  Wind him up, put him in the slot, and have him run to a void.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, OBJ has been a non factor. Ahem, might as well say it now.. The game this coming Sunday against the Bengals pretty much IS the season.  

This game is enormous. I feel confident in saying that if the Browns lose Sunday, they aren't going to the playoffs. 

Even if they win, if they keep going at the same injury pace, it won't matter. Practically every position room is riddled with injuries, and so many of the players who are able to be on the field are banged up. It just feels like this isn't meant to be this season, unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1

So, some stats.  Our top 3 receivers are  TE,  RB,  TE.  OK?  Two TE's and a RB before you get to a WR.  And who's the WR?  The much maligned OBJ who missed 2 games.  And then Landry who missed 4 games.  Followed by the 1st WR who played every game, Higgins.  Yup, the guy  that has that 'chemistry' with Baker.  He's averaging about a catch and a half per game.  Then DPJ.  Who's missed that last two games because he got injured in pregame warmups.  He was a TC & preseason standout.  But it did not carry over to when the starting DB's  took to the field.  And then finally Schwartz, who is having a slow rookie season.

The WR position hasn't been what we felt it could've been.  We had high hopes for DPJ and Higgins because of coverage being drawn by OBJ & Landy.  But OBJ & Landry have missed 6 games collectively.  And since they're constantly 'limited' in practice, if they practice at all...how is anyone supposed to develop chemistry with the QB?

Receiving
Player   ...... REC    YDS    YDS/REC    LNG    TD

David Njoku  20    323    16.2    71    1

Kareem Hunt 20    161    8.1    23    0

Austin Hooper  18    169    9.4    34    1

Odell Beckham Jr.  17    232    13.7    26    0

Jarvis Landry  16    182    11.4    32    0

Rashard Higgins  14    168    12    21    1

Donovan Peoples-Jones  13    228    17.5    57    2

Demetric Felton  12    125    10.4    33    1

Harrison Bryant  9    117    13    29    0

Anthony Schwartz  7    102    14.6    44    0

Nick Chubb  6    43    7.2    10    0

D'Ernest Johnson  4    36    9    18    0

Johnny Stanton   2    7    3.5    6    1

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Orion said:

I like Landry.  He's good for the team.  Except when he's getting 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalties....which he hasn't gotten this year.  I'm all for improving upon things though. 

Edit:  I've always felt that Landry should be used here as the Wes Welker of the Browns.  Wind him up, put him in the slot, and have him run to a void.

He is without doubt the best rout runner on the team...

11 hours ago, Orion said:

I agree with that, but to me, that is where Felton should be headed next season.  Felton is the Landy replacement.

7 hours ago, nickers said:

He is without doubt the best rout runner on the team...

I agree as well.  It's not that I don't like Landry or OBJ.  I just don't see the fit on this team.  Both make a ton of money.  I don't have a problem with that, but at some point you have to ask the question, what do you pay  the money for?  Production is my answer, and we aren't getting much.

Baker might be a part of the production problem.  The that problem is it is harder to replace the production he brings over the production the others bring, so I don't think that switching QB's is the answer in the short term, meaning the next several seasons.  We are tied in to Baker no matter if one likes him or not. He may not be everybodys idea of a #1 QB, but the guy doesn't suck and replacing him would be a much more painful process over changing out a wide receiver or two.   To me, if you are going to overpay for production, the QB position is where you do that.  You almost have to do that if you want any chance at all.

Just a straight-up statement to explain my position.  I would rather pay Teller $15 mil a year over paying OBJ.  I am not saying I want to do that, but I would rather.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It's definitely true that both Landry and OBJ's contracts are total albatrosses on this team right now. Those guys are taking up over $30 million against the cap and would next year. If I'm reading it right, though, we can cut both those guys loose and only be dead cap about $2 million.

I like Landry a lot, but he would need to restructure to stay next year. I'm guessing he'd be up for that as I'm not 110% sure the market for him would be wild compared to what the Browns could offer. But that OBJ deal? Let me just say I wish I could make that level of money for doing as little as that dude is doing.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I agree as well.  It's not that I don't like Landry or OBJ.  I just don't see the fit on this team.  Both make a ton of money.  I don't have a problem with that, but at some point you have to ask the question, what do you pay  the money for?  Production is my answer, and we aren't getting much.

Baker might be a part of the production problem.  The that problem is it is harder to replace the production he brings over the production the others bring, so I don't think that switching QB's is the answer in the short term, meaning the next several seasons.  We are tied in to Baker no matter if one likes him or not. He may not be everybodys idea of a #1 QB, but the guy doesn't suck and replacing him would be a much more painful process over changing out a wide receiver or two.   To me, if you are going to overpay for production, the QB position is where you do that.  You almost have to do that if you want any chance at all.

Just a straight-up statement to explain my position.  I would rather pay Teller $15 mil a year over paying OBJ.  I am not saying I want to do that, but I would rather.

I would dump OBJ... He looks like hot garbage right now... I would draft WR and DL high in next NFL Draft...

17 hours ago, Orion said:

Receiving
Player   ...... REC    YDS    YDS/REC    LNG    TD

David Njoku  20    323    16.2    71    1

Kareem Hunt 20    161    8.1    23    0

Austin Hooper  18    169    9.4    34    1

Odell Beckham Jr.  17    232    13.7    26    0

Jarvis Landry  16    182    11.4    32    0

Rashard Higgins  14    168    12    21    1

Donovan Peoples-Jones  13    228    17.5    57    2

Demetric Felton  12    125    10.4    33    1

Harrison Bryant  9    117    13    29    0

Anthony Schwartz  7    102    14.6    44    0

Nick Chubb  6    43    7.2    10    0

D'Ernest Johnson  4    36    9    18    0

Johnny Stanton   2    7    3.5    6    1

The above is barf land pathetic...  

7 hours ago, nickers said:

I would dump OBJ... He looks like hot garbage right now... I would draft WR and DL high in next NFL Draft...

Said it in another thread... it's 5 minutes to midnight (trade deadline) and unless something surfaces later, we're keeping OBJ as our $8 million dollar decoy to run patters and draw coverage away from the other WRs. I'm reading between Stefanski's lines there.  :)  

We can dump him next year with little cap damage. .  

OBJ is still riding on what he has done as a Giant. he has not done shit since he came here, We all hoped for a Brady to Moss with him and Baker, baker and OBJ are not even on the same page or the same locker room if we our being honest, Even Jarvis seems like he is not the same or maybe Hurt but either way we need a 3rd down wr that has some exp, Can't have a rookie or even a 2nd year guy to be a 3rd down wr. 

Obj's dad is saying Baker is sabotaging OBJ...lol.  he even posted an 11 minute video of how baker doesnt get OBJ the ball..  OBJ led the giants to a 24-36 record...he sucked wherever he went. He had one amazing one handed catch.  Baker is better without him.  If we score a TD..he sulks off the field instead of celebrating.  Total Diva living in the past.

• Upvote 1

I guess we stuck with OBJ. They tried to trade him to New Orleans. But couldn’t come to an agreement 

For now, OBJ remains in CLE … despite him not wanting to be there. #browns
I’m told there were discussions re: Odell going to the #Saints — but both sides couldn’t agree on a workable deal, given how much OBJ is owed the rest of the year. Plus, there still is optimism in the #Browns building that OBJ can be a big part of their second-half playoff push
Share this Tweet

47 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Obj's dad is saying Baker is sabotaging OBJ...lol.  he even posted an 11 minute video of how baker doesnt get OBJ the ball.

Did you watch the video.  I did.  It has merit.  And it doesn't.  There were times that he was open, Baker saw him, and just didn't throw the ball.  There were other times where he looked open, but he wasn't looking back towards the QB, so how does someone throw him the ball when he's not looking for it?  Also, we don't know how many times he wasn't the primary, or even the secondary receiver.  And there were times where he was becoming open but by that time Baker had other problems around him.  But for sure, there were plenty of times that Baker could've gotten him the ball but did not.  

One of the plays that OBJ's Dad showed was where we needed a 1st down, and Felton was standing past the sticks, ALL ALONE (apparently, OBJ was open also), and Baker did not throw Felton the ball for the easy 1st down and instead ran with it and didn't make it.  Baker does make some bad decisions.  

Under a week ago many thought baker was forcing too many targets to OBJ.  And when you look at targets per game available, OBJ is #1.  Or at least until the last couple, I haven't run the numbers since week6.  But I also wouldn't make any longterm O conclusions off weeks 7 and 8.

I've been in favor of WR/DL in some order for rounds 1&2 this coming spring..