THE BROWNS BOARD

Ten Reasons The Cleveland Browns Will Make The Playoffs

Mr. T

Ten Reasons The Cleveland Browns Will Make The Playoffs

article

10. New Coach – Eric Mangini isn’t currently viewed as a top tiered coach, but he definitely appears to be an upgrade over Romeo Crennel. The Jets let Mangini go, and really their problems were partially Mangini’s fault, but also the Brett Favre circus derailed any hopes of a playoff appearance last year. Romeo Crennel was a statue on the sidelines, and Mangini will definitely change the energy level on the team. Last year all three teams with new head coaches made the playoffs, and of course this season that won’t happen since so many teams changed coaches. A few probably will though, and of the teams with 6 or less wins, Detroit and St. Louis have to see benefits since they were both so bad, and Kansas City and Cleveland should see upgrades because their previous coaches were so mediocre.

9. Clean Slate – Luckily the 2008 season is in the past, and the Browns have nothing to build off of. Most people are predicting bad things for the Browns this year because they were so bad last year. Consider that they scored 29 points against the Bills, and then 31 points in their final 6 games. The offense is most likely not going to be as bad this year. They have a new head coach and new GM. They also don’t have to start the season the way they did last year. They were basically penciled in for 0-3, with home games against Dallas and Pittsburgh and a road game versus Baltimore. They aren’t likely to go 1-7 at home this year. The Browns start the season 0-0, and 2008 means nothing, and the Browns took the correct steps in the changes they made to emphasize that point.

8. Getting rid of malcontents – A lot of the criticism of the Browns is about their terrible offense and that they traded away their best offensive player, Kellen Winslow. How can they possibly get better? Simple, the Browns offense was terrible with him. They can’t get worse. However they can get better since he was a major distraction on the team. There is a lot to say about that strategy, especially in football, for getting rid of a cancer on the team. The Dolphins perceived Jason Taylor would be one last year, they sent him to Washington, and the vibe of the Dolphins improved. Donte Stallworth got rid of himself, but guaranteeing that he will not be on the team this year helps to remove distractions. No Kellen Winslow and no Donte Stallworth may take away weapons from Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson, but they weren’t good with them and both guys being absent will help team chemistry. Yes I realize the Browns still have Braylon Edwards, and have to hope he will lead a group of young receivers instead of being a distraction. One is better than 3.

7. The Browns aren’t the Bengals – Seeing the list of the 6 or less win teams, the two that stood out to me were the Browns and Bengals. Kansas City and Oakland are very tempting as sleepers because the AFC West should once again be a weak division, but both teams face really challenging schedules otherwise. Kansas City faces the entire NFC East and San Diego in the first 7 weeks and Oakland have no easy road games out of division. The Browns and the Bengals therefore stand out from the list in point 10, and Cleveland has definite advantages over Cincinnati. The Bengals defense was improving last year, and Carson Palmer is set to play this year, and may tease people into believing they will be a sleeper. Remember, they are the Bengals. They still have their malcontents, Marvin Lewis is still the head coach, and Mike Brown is still the general manager. The Bengals just signed their first round pick, and have to rely on Chris Henry to be a star receiver this year. Yeah, the Bengals may get to 7 or 8 wins because of a similar schedule to the Browns, but Marvin Lewis is really a strong coach at turning victory into loss. The Browns should finish ahead of the Bengals in the AFC Central (Oh my god, the idiot wrote AFC Central again. He knows nothing about football. So what if he's actually predicting great things for my team, I have to mock this loser for being so dumb.)

6. Low expectations – Is anyone besides me predicting the Browns to make the playoffs? I’m having a really difficult time finding 10 reasons to say they will make it. The fans just want anything better than the drivel they saw to end last season, and the Browns are on nobody’s radar and the only reason people have any interest in week 1 is because Brett Favre and Minnesota are playing in Cleveland. The Browns have a great opportunity during this pre-season to develop that sense of us versus the world and underdog mentality that so many athletes tend to feed off of.

5. Added depth – The Browns offseason looked odd at times, because they appeared to give up opportunities to gain talent and instead traded down during the draft and traded away Kellen Winslow. What the Browns did is add a lot of protection against injuries, a very important factor for any team during a long season. They signed two free agents on the offensive line and acquired Hank Fraley and drafted Alex Mack in hopes of building a group to protect Quinn or Anderson. They drafted two receivers and signed two guys who are very solid as possession receivers. The trade with the Jets provided a lot of bodies on defense, and players who are very familiar with the style of play Eric Mangini encourages. With so many teams relying on bad backup QB’s, at least Quinn or Anderson can step in and look good if given the opportunity. The Browns have some trouble spots, but are deeper than last year in many areas. Running back is the one position they appear to really lack depth, yet it’s also the one position where random people come out of nowhere, so a James Davis or Jerome Harrison may be a lot better than anyone knows.

4. Quarterback Play – This is just a hunch, but I think Brady Quinn starts for the Browns, and I think he will have a pretty solid season. The offensive line should perform very well, and Jamal Lewis and whatever changeup back will provide some help, but the success of the team will depend on how the QB does. Brady Quinn doesn’t have to be great; he just has to be smart. This will be the 3rd year for Quinn, and it should be the 1st year where he truly understands the pace of the NFL. Braylan Edwards can’t possibly have as bad of a season as last year and should provide a big name target to Quinn while the other receivers take the pressure off Edwards to catch tons of balls. I know that I’m stretching a bit and this is irrelevant if Anderson wins the starting job, but Quinn just seems ready to take a jump.

3. The New Quarterback Circus to Start the Season – Last year, the Browns had a QB controversy and had to start with two games at home and it was a mess. This year, the crazy QB situations are on the other side the first two weeks. The Brett Favre fiasco comes to Cleveland in week 1, and if ever there is an opportunity to steal the spotlight, they have it. A 3 interception game for the Cleveland defense is the perfect remedy to build confidence for the season. Week 2 the Browns go to Denver. The Broncos fans must cringe at their team currently. The Browns will be playing at the debut of Josh McDaniels and Kyle Orton in Denver, and if the Broncos don’t play well in Cincinnati, the Denver fans will turn bad quickly. The Browns will have the perfect opportunity to start the season against opponents with plenty of flaws and QB’s who make plenty of mistakes.

2. History – Someone has to be the surprise team. In 7 of the last 10 seasons, there have been at least 3 teams that have had 6 or fewer wins in the previous season and then made the playoffs the next year. Last year, Miami, Baltimore and Atlanta all fit that category. One factor against the 3 teams from last year, those 6 wins or less teams are then 8-17 in making the playoffs the next year, meaning probably 2 of the Miami, Baltimore and Atlanta group will not return to the playoffs this year. Only 9 teams last year had 6 wins or less in the NFL. Seattle, Jacksonville and Green Bay are recent playoff teams looking to rebound and look to be the most likely candidates, but there is a stat that provides opportunity for the other teams. In 8 of the last 10 years, at least one of the 6 wins or less teams had not made the playoffs in any of the previous 3 seasons. Miami and Atlanta were in this category last year, providing hope to what seem to be the 6 cellar dwellers in the NFL. Detroit and St. Louis have long roads to respectability. The only teams left are Cincinnati, Oakland, Kansas City and Cleveland. One of these 4 teams has a good shot to make the playoffs, as hard as that may be to believe.

1. The Schedule – I’m realistic, I had to pull a lot of the 10 reasons out of my behind, and throw out a hypothetical. The Browns schedule is the best reason why they have a legitimate shot to make the playoffs. Yes, 4 games against Baltimore and Pittsburgh will be challenging, but the rest of the schedule is a blessing for a rebuilding team. Although 4 of the first 6 games are on the road, they get their Baltimore and Pittsburgh road games out of the way early, and Denver and Buffalo on the road aren’t that difficult (A 4-12 Browns team won in Buffalo last year). After that 6 game stretch, their most difficult games are all at home. For a team that went 1-7 at home last year that’s not a really good thing, but they will definitely be better at home this year. The Browns final 4 road games are at Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati and Kansas City. Four of their last 5 games are at home. The Browns can start the season 2-4 and still have a pretty interesting road to the playoffs. If they can get to 8-6, they get Oakland and Jacksonville the last 2 weeks. The Baltimore and Pittsburgh games are both at night, and last year showed that the Browns at night morph into a completely different team. Baltimore is after a bye week. The Browns can definitely get on a roll in the 2nd half of the season because of the schedule.

If this schmuck thinks its only because of schedule, then we better not start DA, we know what he did with the 2007 schedule. :P

He's only writing it to be different. People do this all the time... maybe hes right but lets stay objective and not get our hopes up... Not sure if I can handle that kind of let down EVERY year. My friend Ward thinks were going to the super bowl, id be happy with the wild card.

Im thinking 9-7 in a much improved and polished overall team... There are still glaring gaps however at Safety and LB and we need a RT and an improved J Lewis this year.

I do not see this team as super bowl ready but I dont see them as the P.O.S most people are predicting us to be.

Go Brownies!

It is refreshing to actually read something positive about the Browns, I get sick of all the shit that gets piled on us.

I also feel its possible to make the playoffs, the largest bump will be the first 6 games, if we go 1-5 or 2-4 in that time frame it will be hard to build any momentum at trying to salvage anything out of the season. I want a reason to watch every game other than just being a diehard fan.

From watching i would say about 60% of saturdays game. I will say that ouyr Defense looked good they were swarming and attacking. i felt we did good against the run, but we need a lot of help against passing teams.

Roderick Hood is a good athlete but he got turned around by the WR to many times.

As far as offense, definate Quinn is the starter, he was able to make reads and call audibles like a veteran QB. Not only that he could execute the play.

It is refreshing to actually read something positive about the Browns, I get sick of all the shit that gets piled on us.

I also feel its possible to make the playoffs, the largest bump will be the first 6 games, if we go 1-5 or 2-4 in that time frame it will be hard to build any momentum at trying to salvage anything out of the season. I want a reason to watch every game other than just being a diehard fan.

From watching i would say about 60% of saturdays game. I will say that ouyr Defense looked good they were swarming and attacking. i felt we did good against the run, but we need a lot of help against passing teams.

Roderick Hood is a good athlete but he got turned around by the WR to many times.

As far as offense, definate Quinn is the starter, he was able to make reads and call audibles like a veteran QB. Not only that he could execute the play.

Lets take a Look :

vs MINNESOTA VIKINGS L

@ Denver Broncos W

@ Baltimore Ravens L

vs CINCINNATI BENGALS W

@ Buffalo Bills W

@ Pittsburgh Steelers L

vs GREEN BAY PACKERS W

@ Chicago Bears L

vs BALTIMORE RAVENS L

@ Detroit Lions W

@ Cincinnati Bengals W

vs SAN DIEGO CHARGERS L

vs PITTSBURGH STEELERS L*

@ Kansas City Chiefs W

vs OAKLAND RAIDERS W

vs JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS W

So...9-7 *10-6 IF they grow a set of Balls and Finally Beat The Steelers Once this Year. Thats Probably Playoffs. Either way Better Days for Cleveland. I know most of You guys dont Give a FREAK what My opinion is. But I have predicted the Steelers Record with in One Win each year for 6 of 7 years now.

( The Last defense of the SuperBowl was the expection I Predicted 11-5)

(Pittsburgh 13-3 this year ...*12-4 IF the Browns are ready to make a series of this again)

Lets take a Look :

vs MINNESOTA VIKINGS L

@ Denver Broncos W

@ Baltimore Ravens L

vs CINCINNATI BENGALS W

@ Buffalo Bills W

@ Pittsburgh Steelers L

vs GREEN BAY PACKERS W

@ Chicago Bears L

vs BALTIMORE RAVENS L

@ Detroit Lions W

@ Cincinnati Bengals W

vs SAN DIEGO CHARGERS L

@ Kansas City Chiefs W

vs OAKLAND RAIDERS W

So...9-7 *10-6 IF they grow a set of Balls and Finally Beat The Steelers Once this Year. Thats Probably Playoffs. Either way Better Days for Cleveland. I know most of You guys dont Give a FREAK what My opinion is. But I have predicted the Steelers Record with in One Win each year for 6 of 7 years now.

(Pittsburgh 13-3 this year ...*12-4 IF the Browns are ready to make a series of this again)

You know i actually have to agree with you there. i would say switch the Packers to an L and the Vikings to a W, but overall i see big strides for the browns this year. I would have to say Mangini has done well this year addressing the issues of depth and the mind set of the organization. No playing around give 100% or get replaced. As for us beating the Steelers this year, look back at the 10-6 game from last year. I believe we have substantially improved our depth while also improving our o-line and running game. If we can play like that game again this year i think itll be a Win. Time will tell though.

Lets take a Look :

vs MINNESOTA VIKINGS L

@ Denver Broncos W

@ Baltimore Ravens L

vs CINCINNATI BENGALS W

@ Buffalo Bills W

@ Pittsburgh Steelers L

vs GREEN BAY PACKERS W

@ Chicago Bears L

vs BALTIMORE RAVENS L

@ Detroit Lions W

@ Cincinnati Bengals W

vs SAN DIEGO CHARGERS L

@ Kansas City Chiefs W

vs OAKLAND RAIDERS W

i'm not debating, but just wondering why you think the browns would get swept by the ravens but steal one away from the Steelers?

do you think the ravens to be the cream of the AFCN crop? or do you think the hatred of the Steelers will motivate the team moreso than it would against the ravens?

You know i actually have to agree with you there. i would say switch the Packers to an L and the Vikings to a W, but overall i see big strides for the browns this year. I would have to say Mangini has done well this year addressing the issues of depth and the mind set of the organization. No playing around give 100% or get replaced. As for us beating the Steelers this year, look back at the 10-6 game from last year. I believe we have substantially improved our depth while also improving our o-line and running game. If we can play like that game again this year i think itll be a Win. Time will tell though.

Thats part of the Reason I mentioned the "Beating of Pittsburgh" in there. The Steelers are a Damn Good Team , but Cleveland is not a Creme Puff. On the Verge of being an actual Threat to go to the Postseason. Not being Cruel but Romeo and his "Im thinking Arbys " Mentality just wasn't what C-town Needed. I expect 2 good games vs. the Browns. And If the Steelers aint on top of their game , a Trip up is possible . we will see.....

i'm not debating, but just wondering why you think the browns would get swept by the ravens but steal one away from the Steelers?

do you think the ravens to be the cream of the AFCN crop? or do you think the hatred of the Steelers will motivate the team moreso than it would against the ravens?

Well , I am not a Pie in the Sky fan. I look at things realistically so , Yes at this Point the Ravens are a MAJOR THreat to my boys repeating as Div. Champs. We won 3 by the Skin of our Teeth last year , and Flacco is Better and will continue to Get better. While Baltimore's D is weaker The Offense is forming into something a tad scary. I see us Splitting with Baltimore. I see the Browns getting swept by Baltimore. As far as the Browns beating Pittsburgh I factor in the Odds of so many wins in a row for Pittsburgh. Karma has to start to turn at some point. This is Pro Football, not college where one team just dominates for long long periods of time... but its Just my Opinion.

Lets take a Look :

vs MINNESOTA VIKINGS L

@ Denver Broncos W

@ Baltimore Ravens L

vs CINCINNATI BENGALS W

@ Buffalo Bills W

@ Pittsburgh Steelers L

vs GREEN BAY PACKERS W

@ Chicago Bears L

vs BALTIMORE RAVENS L

@ Detroit Lions W

@ Cincinnati Bengals W

vs SAN DIEGO CHARGERS L

@ Kansas City Chiefs W

vs OAKLAND RAIDERS W

I think this just about right i hope to see a steal from the steelers but i think we can get one from the Ravens to. I also believe we can sneak a win out of Chicago the key part is to not mess up on games we know that were capable of winning remeber the 2007 season a missed field goal in Oakland cost us the playoffs

Well , I am not a Pie in the Sky fan. I look at things realistically so , Yes at this Point the Ravens are a MAJOR THreat to my boys repeating as Div. Champs. We won 3 by the Skin of our Teeth last year , and Flacco is Better and will continue to Get better. While Baltimore's D is weaker The Offense is forming into something a tad scary. I see us Splitting with Baltimore. I see the Browns getting swept by Baltimore. As far as the Browns beating Pittsburgh I factor in the Odds of so many wins in a row for Pittsburgh. Karma has to start to turn at some point. This is Pro Football, not college where one team just dominates for long long periods of time... but its Just my Opinion.

And take into account that nearly half of those games "in a row" the Browns have lost could actually have gone either way. The other half, yes, the Browns were out of it.

I, however, think that Baltimore is primed for a major falloff. Flacco will suffer a sophomore jinx, and some of the age on that defense will catch up to them. I am not saying they are going to be 3-13, but I think they only come in around .500.

Baltimore doesn't have a good history of making the playoffs in consecutive seasons. Not to mention that the Ravens defense, while stout, is getting older and lost a few "glue" players (i.e. Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard). Flacco won't be flying below the radar either.

I see them as the team that falls off the map. I really don't think the Steelers have much to worry about there.

vs MINNESOTA VIKINGS W

@ Denver Broncos W

@ Baltimore Ravens L

vs CINCINNATI BENGALS W

@ Buffalo Bills W

@ Pittsburgh Steelers L

vs GREEN BAY PACKERS L

@ Chicago Bears W

vs BALTIMORE RAVENS L

@ Detroit Lions W

@ Cincinnati Bengals L

vs SAN DIEGO CHARGERS L

vs PITTSBURGH STEELERS W

@ Kansas City Chiefs W

vs OAKLAND RAIDERS W

I would say is doable. It's possible we could split wins with both Cin and Pitt this season. Baltimore is an interesting situation as well. On the Bengals: It's always hard to say what will happen there. I believe we can sweep them but you never know. It's hard to predict which version will show up from game to game. My best guess is we beat them early in the season then they turn it on later in the year after they're out of contention and pull off a win.

Pitt depends as well. Mangini has an excellent record gameplanning against them, so I say we tie wins against them this season. Maybe not but more then possible IMO.

Baltimore is interesting. It could go any number of directions. They could show up hot this year and sweep us. Or they could show up with a significant drop off in talent this season and split wins. Or also possible they could suck all year. Too many ? marks. For all anyone knows Flacco could hit a sophomore slump, Bart Scott really could have been carrying the old man Lewis who could @ 35 years old start having troubles, Suggs got his new deal and could show up and sandbag it, who knows? That's just excluding injury.

you have us winning against Steelers and losing against bengals ? no way - we will beat em bengirls !

And take into account that nearly half of those games "in a row" the Browns have lost could actually have gone either way. The other half, yes, the Browns were out of it.

I, however, think that Baltimore is primed for a major falloff. Flacco will suffer a sophomore jinx, and some of the age on that defense will catch up to them. I am not saying they are going to be 3-13, but I think they only come in around .500.

I agree ..thats why I worry every time The Steelers Play the Browns. Of course half my Steeler Friends say "Come on Man , its the Browns" I Have actually pointed out ho many of the Game were in deed GAMES. But a win is a Win ... I will take them as well !! Obviously the Steelers are a better team , but I really thing Cleveland is making some Good moves could get interesting If not this year then next for sure. Baltimore will be much improved on Offense , D will have Cracks in the Armor though.

you have us winning against Steelers and losing against bengals ? no way - we will beat em bengirls !

I think , You guys will lose to Cinncy Once. They are going to Improve this

year. Just my Opinion ... dont mean Jack but , we will see.

I think this just about right i hope to see a steal from the steelers but i think we can get one from the Ravens to. I also believe we can sneak a win out of Chicago the key part is to not mess up on games we know that were capable of winning remeber the 2007 season a missed field goal in Oakland cost us the playoffs

Well, that and 4 interceptions from our QB against Cincinnati.

Archived