THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Woods

SdBacker80

I think we all knew there could be growing pains with the D, with all the new faces. 

It's still maddening to watch at times, especially the 3rd & long conversions that happen far too often- but it does appear the D is settling in a tad. 

To Joe Woods' credit he's implemented some good blitz schemes the last several games. 

I was surprised by today's result. I figured the Browns might lose a close, high scoring game. GLAD I was wrong, and hope the D continues to improve. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I have  to go with the Belichick mantra of each game is a season unto its self. Stefanski is trying to make this happen

Unless you are the ‘85 Bears, you need to plan a game plan for each opponent 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I think we all knew there could be growing pains with the D, with all the new faces. 

It's still maddening to watch at times, especially the 3rd & long conversions that happen far too often- but it does appear the D is settling in a tad. 

To Joe Woods' credit he's implemented some good blitz schemes the last several games. 

I was surprised by today's result. I figured the Browns might lose a close, high scoring game. GLAD I was wrong, and hope the D continues to improve. 

Me too! I saw aggressive D, which I love!!

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I know I know….

I just wanted to say after the first two drives I thought he did a great job bringing pressure at the right time and the secondary did an excellent job in man coverage. They looked prepared this week. 

I still struggle with some of our non-aggressive back-end looks..

but we got to give Joe Woods big credits..

1) I don't see guys taking plays off.. Rotation groups, get balance snap counts.. I'll enjoy flipping that 1st quarter on this week.. closed out that 2nd half

2) from 1 practice week to the next? A Corner or* combined with Safety's.. seems to be on the weekly injury report.. Troy Hill should be awarded team captain next week, just for avoiding this list alone..Hill balled his butt off Sunday.. AJ Green gets better week by week! and Good Luck to Greedy getting back 🤞

3) I struggle with DB's that can't get their heads around.. Newsome... I'm looking at YoU, champ! That tech is not on Joe Woods! Yesterday, was a coaching clinic moment that Joe Woods has got Newsome head...heading in the right direction. Newsome's speed? Ja'marr Chase may think differently on Monday ! 

4) JOK..... Man! we miss WuSu flying around bro ! Get back Soon      Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah Looks As Good As Advertised In Debut

Great game plan, we had the advantage in the trench and their running backs don't like to block, and we took advantage of that with our pressure.

Our defense reacts well to run plays too, lot's of gang tackling.

Troy Hill for Defensive Player of the Week?

Z

13 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Troy Hill for Defensive Player of the Week?

Z

Easy! up maybe until SNF.. ?

Titans DT Jeffery Simmons played like a Myles Garrett poe'g possessed.. 😤.. 3 sacks 1st half.. not sure what he finished up with?

I'm guessing we played as much man / press coverage / blitz schemes than we have all year yesterday. The results speak for themselves-I don't claim to be some all knowing defensive dude in the slightest. But in simple terms we didn't pay $50 million in contracts and use two first round picks to play as much bail coverage than we have been the first two months of the season. I loved how aggressive the scheme was today and it showed, strongly. We can play the EXACT same way against the Pats and the Lions coming up. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

I still struggle with some of our non-aggressive back-end looks..

but we got to give Joe Woods big credits..

1) I don't see guys taking plays off.. Rotation groups, get balance snap counts.. I'll enjoy flipping that 1st quarter on this week.. closed out that 2nd half

2) from 1 practice week to the next? A Corner or* combined with Safety's.. seem to be on the weekly injury report.. Troy Hill should be awarded team captain next week, just for avoiding this list alone..Hill balled his butt off Sunday.. AJ Green gets better week by week!

3) I struggle with DB's that can't get their heads around.. Newsome... I'm looking at YoU, champ! That tech is not on Joe Woods! Yesterday, was a coaching clinic moment that Joe Woods has got Newsome head...heading in the right direction

4) JOK..... Man! we miss WuSu flying around bro ! Get back Soon     

REALLY miss Owusu back there. And Troy HIll, Ohio kid, (Youngstown) had a GREAT game. I think Newsome is amazing as a rookie, he has done a few rookie things like not being looking back to the ball at the last moments, but that is easy to coach, I suppose.

Troy Hill was outstanding. About Troy Hill - a very special story about him:

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/how-family-and-football-saved-browns-cb-troy-hill

In five plays, Greedy re-injured his shoulder that had the nerve problem. Not good. Hope he's okay.

Was wondering what the difference was with Ward. I think he was playing hurt some weeks prior, but seemed his old self yesterday.

The Browns really missed Takk McKinley last week vs the squealers.....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/browns-takk-mckinley-says-he-lost-himself-in-atlanta-but-means-nothing-but-business-now/ar-BB1eLjno

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

I'm guessing we played as much man / press coverage / blitz schemes than we have all year yesterday. The results speak for themselves-I don't claim to be some all knowing defensive dude in the slightest. But in simple terms we didn't pay $50 million in contracts and use two first round picks to play as much bail coverage than we have been the first two months of the season. I loved how aggressive the scheme was today and it showed, strongly. We can play the EXACT same way against the Pats and the Lions coming up. 

Absolutely. I don’t know the numbers but Cincy from what I’ve watched has some athletes on the perimeter and a QB that can sling it deep which made our approach even more surprising. 

And That Nickle blitz off the edge - it has worked numerous times this year. We’ve Disguised it really well.

I also think the Browns secondary picked up something (tell) from Chase and his route running.  We were very confident and poking in on his short patterns. I was waiting for a double move - maybe that’s next meeting 

Moving on, The Pats will dink and dunk you to death and take 8 yards a pass with very few pressure type 3rd and longs if we allow it.  We need to get the rookie qb off schedule which means shutting down the run and forcing bad throws when they do throw it on first down.  If the Front 4 isn’t getting home we need to dial up some additional pressure we can’t wait three quarters to make that adjustment.  We need to do a better job this week of covering the flats they have some pass catching backs that can hurt us.   And it Looks like we are pretty comfortable in man coverage so play it more.