THE BROWNS BOARD

🏈🟫⬜🟧Official Gameday Thread Browns at Patriots 🟧⬜🟫🏈

gumby73

55 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Lions and Steelers going to OT. 

I'm sure the Steelers will win, because fuck us, I suppose.

Some Team has to win this division ... Can't tell whom at this point.. Heck, just beat the Lions next week 

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

Baker has to have EVERYTHING go his way to succeed. 
If his first read isn’t there, he’s in trouble. 
He seems to panic when he has to start looking around

I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the NFL salary cap. 

@Unsympathetic might be someone who could speak on this with more authority.

But a year ago, I would have doubted a team run by analytics-driven individuals like the Browns are would pony up big money on a RB (Chubb) and OGuards (Teller and Bitonio). Those positions generally aren't what guys like Berry, Depodesta, et al like to commit big money to, but they did.

It makes me wonder if the reason they did this was because they know they are not going to offer Baker a huge contract. Oh, they'll probably try to extend him, but he isn't getting one of those huge QB contracts from the Browns. (I'm just speculating on this, as a result of Chubb, Teller and Bitonio getting extensions)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FALCON7 said:

Which team will show up next week

That's what I don't understand, the consistency. Especially on D. D makes decent plays on 1st & 2nd down, but can't stop anyone on 3rd down. Attack the opponent instead of this soft zone coverage.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

But a year ago, I would have doubted a team run by analytics-driven individuals like the Browns are would pony up big money on a RB (Chubb) and OGuards (Teller and Bitonio). Those positions generally aren't what guys like Berry, Depodesta, et al like to commit big money to, but they did.

It makes me wonder if the reason they did this was because they know they are not going to offer Baker a huge contract. Oh, they'll probably try to extend him, but he isn't getting one of those huge QB contracts from the Browns. (I'm just speculating on this, as a result of Chubb, Teller and Bitonio getting extensions)

I would think and hope Baker is civil enough to take a team friendly deal... Between that and his endorsements.. He'll make out okay...

• Upvote 1

OK here’s the game in a nutshell gang… Tell me if you’ve heard this one before

Front to back

Inside out

and at that intersection is what position? Yes that would be defensive tackle. Bill Abused ours today. 

Are interior defense of line needs a little attention this off-season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Good question and I’d say us. 
Top to bottom we had what many talking heads called the best roster in the NFL.  Looking back at last season we caught some breaks (even though COVID hit us harder than most teams) this year it has swung the other way. 

The Browns caught some breaks last year? News to me, and sorry I'm not trying to be an A hole.

They played pretty brilliantly offensively, and the D was banged up bad in the secondary IMHO. Yeah, they got blown out by the Ratbirds & Steelers, but Stefanski seemed to do a great job despite all the obstacles Covid created in the NFL. 

Today was obviously horrendus. Not sure what that was about, kind of like last week, I never saw a beatdown of Cincy coming. 

Stefanski & his staff need to hash it out. This team is schizoid.

12 minutes ago, Gofish said:

Baker and Landry both need surgery now. Season’s over for them.

Honestly, I think it’s just time to ease into this skid. You consider these positions have all had serious injury or guys have missed 2+ games:

WR, QB, RT, LT, MLB, OLB, RB, and the secondary overall? On paper being 5-5 is actually not bad. Just really sucks how damn hard the injury bug has hit this damn team. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Honestly, I think it’s just time to ease into this skid. You consider these positions have all had serious injury or guys have missed 2+ games:

WR, QB, RT, LT, MLB, OLB, RB, and the secondary overall? On paper being 5-5 is actually not bad. Just really sucks how damn hard the injury bug has hit this damn team. 

It always seems to happen just as we're getting our feet under us... I would be looking at a new strength and conditioning program for nex season... The guy who is doing the job now just isnt cutting it...

Landry is definitely not feeling it. I don't think I've seen him catch a ball and not go for a give up slide in a while.

That leaves the offense with two 6th round picks and Scwartz, who I'm not believing for a second is as smart as the coach staff thinks he is. 

Natson proved a few times why he is a practice squad guy. 

WR is a real bad spot right now, and not having your two big guys at RB really hurts

19 minutes ago, nickers said:

It always seems to happen just as we're getting our feet under us... I would be looking at a new strength and conditioning program for nex season... The guy who is doing the job now just isnt cutting it...

Our secondary has been hurt for 5 years, I don't get it.

Well, that was a disaster. The Browns roared right down the field and scored.

Then, Wood's defense was completely out-coached. and to me, my dumb opinion,,,, he did not make ANY adjustments at halftime.

The Browns wr's are going to have to be upgraded. We don't even have a #1. Landry has admirably played hurt, Schwartz isn't quite ready for prime time, Peoples-Jones will be a star next year, and..........tight ends? Njoku whiffs blocks and drops passes. I'm done. Need a new DC I think. I hope the Browns can trade Njoku. He will never get it consistently.  And "Where in the World is Rashard Higgins??? No targets at all? I think this weeks defensive game plan made a fool out of the coaches.

I missed by Togiai was in there ....

NOBODY getting open. This defense works for some teams, and is a disaster vs others. It needs a Jordan Davis.

Wr or two in the draft. or something. This team can't overcome injuries, AND covid, AND bad defensive coaching, AND a lacking talent in the WR room consistently.

But, I'm just totally disgusted. I lost a whole dollar on the game.....

That was disgusting and I can't believe our team played so poorly. I don't know where they go from here and it might be time to put money on Detroit. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

That was disgusting and I can't believe our team played so poorly. I don't know where they go from here and it might be time to put money on Detroit. 

Browns have the second hardest schedule in the NFL. We played a great franchise and got beat. Move on......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

The Browns caught some breaks last year? News to me, and sorry I'm not trying to be an A hole.

They played pretty brilliantly offensively, and the D was banged up bad in the secondary IMHO. Yeah, they got blown out by the Ratbirds & Steelers, but Stefanski seemed to do a great job despite all the obstacles Covid created in the NFL. 

Today was obviously horrendus. Not sure what that was about, kind of like last week, I never saw a beatdown of Cincy coming. 

Stefanski & his staff need to hash it out. This team is schizoid.

Schedule…we played the NFC East.  We didn’t have any team in either Championship game on our schedule Bills, Chiefs, Bucs, or Packers.  

we aren’t a good team…hence the inconsistencies.  

what is really sad about all this if we had our $hit together this year like we seemingly had it together last year we can win the whole dang thing because the AFC is weak as hell and even some the juggernauts in the NFC are vulnerable. And If we can somehow make it to the the playoffs playing good football…who knows this year…but we’ve pissed away far too many games and hole may be too big to dig out of

35 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I've had this nagging feeling at times that this season is a lot like 2019. 

Huge expectations coming into the season, mediocre start, every time it felt like they might be figuring something out, they'd implode. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hx214 said:

Landry is definitely not feeling it. I don't think I've seen him catch a ball and not go for a give up slide in a while.

That leaves the offense with two 6th round picks and Scwartz, who I'm not believing for a second is as smart as the coach staff thinks he is. 

Natson proved a few times why he is a practice squad guy. 

WR is a real bad spot right now, and not having your two big guys at RB really hurts

Schwartz is not ready for this kind of action…he’s a bubble screen, deep crosser, end around…10 play a game type guy.  That was kind of my expectation going into the year.  He needs major work on route running and just general deep ball tracking.  He needs a few offseasons with Professional WRs learning the tricks of the trade.

Landry is playing hurt.  

Not calling you or anyone out specifically but I don’t know the fascination with Natson and he’s definitely not a WR.

Higgins is JAG material.

DPJ is a 2/3 type on a good team.  But looks like we are expecting 1 type stuff from him now. 

Felton has shown the most YAC ability of this group.  He was out today and when he is available I think I’ve seen Schwartz get his opportunities- don’t understand why. 

But Baker and OBJ have did this group in more than anything and when we split out Njoku, Bryant and Hooper you begin to see the coaching staffs confidence in this group. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

OK here’s the game in a nutshell gang… Tell me if you’ve heard this one before

Front to back

Inside out

and at that intersection is what position? Yes that would be defensive tackle. Bill Abused ours today. 

Are interior defense of line needs a little attention this off-season.

Ogbah and  Ogunjobi were inadequate on the inside... Unfortunately- they're playing good football for other teams.   

Our not so stud defense was getting shredded right up the middle....  That's when Mac Jones wasn't throwing laser guided bombs into decent coverage.  

& yeah- I'm getting tired of Garrett getting held on every damn play.  

The more I think about the success of the first offensive drive, the madder I get that Stef went away from handing the ball to 30 on the next drives. Even at 14-7 there was no excuse to go away from what worked so well on the opening drive. Someone on this thread said 'panic' and thinking back that seems to be a fair accusation.

36 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

This team is so inconsistent, good luck trying to work out why and or how. I can't.

They can beat anyone but they can also be embarrassed, I still think we'll make the playoffs 

By going 5-2 or 6-1 down the stretch? 

Against the Steelers in Pittsburgh, twice against Baltimore and the Packers in Green Bay on Christmas Day? 

I like your optimism, but that's a tall order. 

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

By going 5-2 or 6-1 down the stretch? 

Against the Steelers in Pittsburgh, twice against Baltimore and the Packers in Green Bay on Christmas Day? 

I like your optimism, but that's a tall order. 

We will win that game in Pitt and Im not scared of Baltimore at all

Packers on xmas day is a sticking point

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

what is really sad about all this if we had our $hit together this year like we seemingly had it together last year we can win the whole dang thing because the AFC is weak as hell and even some the juggernauts in the NFC are vulnerable. And If we can somehow make it to the the playoffs playing good football…who knows this year…but we’ve pissed away far too many games and hole may be too big to dig out of

Agree, but after giving up 47 to the LAC, 45 today, 37 to the Cardinals sadly it doesn't look like a playoff team. Plus, the offense is sputtering for the most part. 

If somehow they do get it together, it's going to have to be an AFC North title...like others have noted too many conference losses. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I think the opposite. The teams that win Super Bowls don’t have the highest paid QB. 
They get a QB that wins with a great team around him. 
I’m no salary cap guy, but when did the highest Paid QB win a SB?

Mahomes? But didn’t he get paid after winning?

1 minute ago, Browns149 said:

I think the opposite. The teams that win Super Bowls don’t have the highest paid QB. 
They get a QB that wins with a great team around him. 
I’m no salary cap guy, but when did the highest Paid QB win a SB?

Mahomes? But didn’t he get paid after winning?

I don't quite understand what you are saying...

I didn't say anything about anyone being the highest paid QB. I did say that my theory of why the Browns have spent a lot of money of guys playing positions I wouldn't have thought our front office would pay a lot of money to was because they know they will not pay Baker huge money. They will either sign him to a contract they feel comfortable with (hence why they paid Chubb, Teller and Bitonio) or they will look elsewhere for a QB. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't quite understand what you are saying...

I didn't say anything about anyone being the highest paid QB. I did say that my theory of why the Browns have spent a lot of money of guys playing positions I wouldn't have thought our front office would pay a lot of money to was because they know they will not pay Baker huge money. They will either sign him to a contract they feel comfortable with (hence why they paid Chubb, Teller and Bitonio) or they will look elsewhere for a QB. 

I agree. Maybe I didn’t express it that way

This front office is trying to build a team around team first. They are trying to win with a bunch of Joe’s vs a few Bro’s. 

Plus the salary cap is going to go up and up in the next 2-3 years. They keep signing guys in that window. 

Are they setting this up for a QB free agent?  It sure isn’t going to happen in the draft

• Upvote 1