THE BROWNS BOARD

QB group rankings reveal teams in trouble if starter goes down

OconRecon

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

1. Eagles Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick, A.J. Feeley (Kevin Kolb)

Comment: McNabb is a top quarterback with excellent weapons. Vick, as a former starter in Atlanta, is the best backup in the league. Feeley has 23 career starts and has won in the Eagles system. Depth is not a concern here.

30. Browns - Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn, Brett Ratliff

Comment: Quinn will probably be first up this season but after he struggles we should see Anderson and then Ratliff. Combined, the three quarterbacks have not thrown a touchdown pass in two preseason games. (the article says its 11 hours old, so I guess he's not counting the Titans game)

Is there any category where we're ranked at least in the top half?!

I would LOVE to beat Favre and the Vikes. It would make all of these guys eat a little crow in week #1.

Thing is, this article is kind of B.S. Because if it's true that both Quinn and DA suck, we are no worse off if Quinn goes down. We should be #1 on this list.

My 2 cents.

That, and I'm always skittish lending too much weight to arbitrarily created statistical information. Because it has the appearance of fact. But even if you lend credence to the system, you have to look at the fact that two teams quarterbacks that are essentially equal could be given either of two numbers. That seems arbitrary.

But it renders this little exercise even more useless when you consider that more than half of the league (#14 - #30) fall in a two point span (13.1 - 11.1).

Sorry to the author, but his chart reveals nothing. I'd place more weight on the decimal places on the judges cards at the Miss Universe pageant.

-jj

Here's another opinion:

Backup QB breakdown

September 1, 2009 12:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com’s James Walker

Cleveland: If the Browns' starting quarterback is unavailable, their situation is still solid. Cleveland’s is one of the few teams in the NFL which has two young, starting-caliber quarterbacks in Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson. Based on preseason performance, Quinn is expected to be the starter Sept. 13 against the Minnesota Vikings, but the two remain in an open competition under new Browns coach Eric Mangini. Both quarterbacks have different playing styles. Anderson is more of a vertical threat but also more prone to turnovers, while Quinn is a solid game manager who is cerebral. Mangini eventually will choose one quarterback, but he still has to feel good about his No. 2

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post?id=2341

Here's another opinion:

Backup QB breakdown

September 1, 2009 12:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com’s James Walker

Cleveland: If the Browns' starting quarterback is unavailable, their situation is still solid. Cleveland’s is one of the few teams in the NFL which has two young, starting-caliber quarterbacks in Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson. Based on preseason performance, Quinn is expected to be the starter Sept. 13 against the Minnesota Vikings, but the two remain in an open competition under new Browns coach Eric Mangini. Both quarterbacks have different playing styles. Anderson is more of a vertical threat but also more prone to turnovers, while Quinn is a solid game manager who is cerebral. Mangini eventually will choose one quarterback, but he still has to feel good about his No. 2

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post?id=2341

I always feel good about my No. 2's. Unless I eat too many hot wings.

Per Schefter just now on ESPN: Kyle Orton's finger is dislocated. May not start for the opener. Chris Simms also unavailable on day 1.

Trade possibility or re-affirmation of Mangini's plan to "keep both guys."??

That Sucks for them,

If they call make them pay.

Archived