THE BROWNS BOARD

Leonard traded to Panthers

ballpeen

Panthers.com---CHARLOTTE -- The Carolina Panthers have traded an undisclosed draft choice to the Cleveland Browns for defensive tackle Louis Leonard, the club announced Tuesday.

Leonard, 6-foot-4 and 325 pounds, appeared in 20 games with four starts over two seasons with Cleveland in 2007 and 2008, posting 33 tackles. He was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by San Diego in 2007 and spent two weeks on the Chargers' practice squad before being signed by the St. Louis Rams to the active roster Sept. 12, 2007. Leonard was waived by St. Louis on Oct. 6, 2007 and was signed by Cleveland as a free agent on Oct. 8.

A native of Los Angeles, Calif., Leonard, 25, played in 43 games at Fresno State with 28 starts, registering 68 tackles and 6.5 sacks. He was a teammate of current Panthers cornerback Richard Marshall at Fresno State.

Guest Masters
I think he would have been kept. We usually keep 7-8 DL and he was #7, I think. Good backup DE, but was forced to backup up Rogers some last year and NT isn't his spot.

Right now the DL roster looks like Rogers, Rubin, Mosely, R. Smith, C. Williams, Coleman, and maybe Thomas.

I'm thinking the same thing. Gotta be.

I think for now it is a conditional 7th rounder. If Leonard hits some targets, it gets better...6th round....maybe even a 5th if he plays well.

Guest Masters
I thought he played both end and Olb...or is it that he plays both OLB and MLB.... either way haven't seen him play a down of football yet...!

He's all OLB as far as I know. Though he might be able to play some ILB.

He hasn't played any preseason football. Been nursing an injury.

Guest Aloysius
He's all OLB as far as I know. Though he might be able to play some ILB.

He hasn't played any preseason football. Been nursing an injury.

Bowens proved his versatility last year by starting five games inside, replacing the injured David Harris. He can also line up at DE on passing downs, much like David Veikune is currently doing.

I think the Leonard trade makes a lot a sense. As weak as our pass rush looked against the Titans, it makes sense to keep Corey around at least one more year as an interior rusher. Hopefully, he and Rogers can get after the QB when we go to a four man line.

And D'Qwimbley's right: in a 3-4, Leonard's a better fit at end than at the nose. He & Williams actually formed a decent LE rotation late in the year; I think the reduced snaps were part of the reason why Williams' play picked up slightly in the second half of '08.

If the plan is to keep Williams around, the team might as well get value for Leonard. And as Russ said, there may be a "don't mess with Cox" message in there as well.

from James Walker this morning:

The Cleveland Browns traded defensive lineman Louis Leonard to the Carolina Panthers for an undisclosed draft pick.

Morning take: This was a "sell high" situation for the Browns. Leonard was a raw project who was coming into his own this summer, and Carolina was willing to pay the right price to get him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post?id=2427

Archived