THE BROWNS BOARD

Pre-Bears game starter analysis.....

Drunkandstoopid

I figure if Mangini doesn't name a Viking's game starter by Thursday, immediately after the game there will be tons of speculation on who the starter will be based on who started this game, or who got in the most or least work....

With that in mind, rather than listening to the typical post game player bias based speculation, I'd like to hear thoughts ahead of the game. Let's face it, after the game if Brady starts we'll be hearing from 80% of the posters on this board that it's because he was predetermined to be the regular season starter, if Derek starts the same posters will say it's because they're resting the predetermined starter in and either showcasing DA for a trade or giving him one last opportunity too make his case to stick around. Same deal with whichever QB gets the most work during the game.

So I'd like to hear people comment on their feelings on this matter BEFORE the Bears game:

Assuming they have a season starter in mind.... will that person start the game, make a second quarter appearance, get the most work, get the least work, sit and watch?

My thoughts are; I don't think it matters taht much to the Vikings, so why all the drama?

IMO, I can't see it not being Quinn. You aren't going to get enough of a sniff of the first stringers on Thursday to change anything. The decision has been made, just not announced.

Hey, Maybe Mangini will come out with the announcement that for all games this season Brady Quinn will be the first half starter and DA will be the second half starter.

Could happen. Once the LA Rams had both Bob Waterfield and Norm Van Brocklin playing QB for them at the same time and went to the NFL title game, and both made the HOF!

Mangini has not deviated from anything he's said he would be doing. Timugen (I'm 95% sure it was Tim) indicated the most telling move was not putting DA back in the Titans game. Meaning, I think Quinn's the guy, and whatever happens on the Thursday wont' change that unless Quinn shits the bed & DA puts 2-3 in the endzone.

It really doesnt matter much mangini has already decided the winner and he is the guy with a probowl and an big roster bonus i think mangini is just waiting for DA to get on a hot streak then he will announce the winner...hehehehe

I think that if they haven't made a decisions by now, we're xxxxed this season. I think that the Vikings don't give two shits about who our starter is - they are planning on blitzing whomever is behind our line. If it's Quinn, you blitz him because he's still a new starter; if it's DA, you blitz him because he makes bad decisions when pressured.

This is a bunch of drama; if Mangini thinks this is going to make a difference to the Vikes, we're doubly xxxxed. I also believe that Mangini knows this, and either isn't sure who the starter is (in which case, see my first point), or has chosen the 'wrong' guy in the eyes of (most) of the fans and media, and doesn't want to see the heat turned up already.

Frankly, I fully expect Derek Anderson to trot onto the field as the starter come game 1.

TO be fair, I think D&S is trying to prevent folks from making thier determination about who plays when on thursday and what it means AFTER the fact.

I'm not sure it matters who starts. and I predict that the 1s play longer than some on here will expect. I believe the guy that plays the most series is the winner. And that acutally could be decided DURING the game. If one guy gets hot, Mangini may leave him in there to see more. That would mean alot for me.

Yup. Everyone has their spin after the fact. It'd be nice to get people to state a position up front and see if it happens, or, not come in after the fact and say it played out a certain way based on who Mangini was naming the starter.

It would be interesting to see inside Mangini's head. I suspect they're looking at tapes, not stats, from the games and practices to see which QB is making what kind of decisions. Neither QB has been what I consider to be "hot" this preseason, they've both been reasonably steady. Football can be such a game of momentum though, that I don't necessarily see one QB getting a very good run this particular game making the final decision for Mangini.

Thanks for answering the question.

I don't see how Mangini will vary from his current course: balanced reps. I think they'll be brief as is the custom in the last preseason game. I don't expect any conclusions if it plays out this way.

Now, if he deviates and doesn't spread the playing time..... we'll have something to banter about. (Not that it changes my opinion that Quinn will start against the Vikes.)

I don't see how Mangini will vary from his current course: balanced reps. I think they'll be brief as is the custom in the last preseason game. I don't expect any conclusions if it plays out this way.

Now, if he deviates and doesn't spread the playing time..... we'll have something to banter about. (Not that it changes my opinion that Quinn will start against the Vikes.)

That is just it - there really isn't much playing time to spread around. The 1s are going to get maybe two series, so I think it highly unlikely Mangini will give each QB one possession with the 1s and another with the 2s to give them both two possessions (or play the entire first unit twice as long as normal). He basically has to give all of the first team possessions to one guy just because a coach would be run out of town by a mob with pitchforks and torches if a starter got lost to injury in the second quarter because a QB decision couldn't be made without another two possessions-worth of data.

My opinion - I think Mangini names the starter immediately before the last preseason game. The gig is up soon as we see who gets the start in game 4.

I agree with Greythan I think DA starts because of the alternating turns.... I still think he waits until right before Game one opener to make the Vikings game plan for both QBS because both are distinctly different.

I do however think regardless (barring a major meltdown by either) Quinn has the edge because of Mangini's career. IF BQ sucks he was someone else's round one draft pick that he was willing to try vs DA staying and him choosing a 6th rounder over a first round draft pick would be a decision he could have his career dismantled by.

Regardless of the "team" Mangini is all about his Career ultimately.....

Quinn is named the starter plays 1st quarter, DAsecond quarter. scrubs in the second half.. Quinn starts vs Vikings

Vikings punch us in the mouth showing they are a playoff team and show us we are what we are.. a struggling franchise. Adrian Peterson who I prayed we would draft.. goes for around 130 and 3 td's.. and another 45 yards in receiving.. just to piss me off all over again that we passed on him.

DA starts - goes a series or two

Quinn - goes one series

Ratliff and Bartel the rest of the way.

I feel he'll adhere to his balanced competition plan, but he's going to go with Quinn as the regular season starter regardless of tomorrow's results.

And if he's doing this to keep Minnesota on its toes, I think he's mistaken on how effective it will be. Minnesota will plan for Quinn as the game plan for DA is well known. Pressure him in the pocket and just follow his telegraphed passes. Some of those passes will be beautiful and indefensible, but an INT will eventually happen.

Email from Marty of CBS RapidReports

I asked him about the first team QB play in practice this week.

He says it continues, as it has all pre-season, with both QB's switching on and off every practice. Zero change after the Titan's game. Pure Mangini.

I'll stick with my (and others) prediction. DA starts tomorrow as Mangini has kept this competition rigidly even.

Archived