THE BROWNS BOARD

FWIW - Browns tried to claim QB O'Connell

AZBrowns

Obviously it didn't go down, but the guy was a third round pick in the 2008 draft, so obviously the Pats liked him at the time. Maybe the Browns did this so they could move either BQ or DA; or maybe they tried because Mangini and Daboll weren't impressed with Ratliff or Bartell and wanted to make sure they had some type of insurance in case a situation like last year takes place.

Considering that Ratliff didn't even play against the Titans... I wonder if they're looking to find some competition for Bartel for the third spot and drop Ratliff. Probably not since he's Mangini's guy but it's possible.

Guest Aloysius
Obviously it didn't go down, but the guy was a third round pick in the 2008 draft, so obviously the Pats liked him at the time. Maybe the Browns did this so they could move either BQ or DA; or maybe they tried because Mangini and Daboll weren't impressed with Ratliff or Bartell and wanted to make sure they had some type of insurance in case a situation like last year takes place.

One thing to keep in mind is that Mangini kept four QB's on the Jets' initial 53 man roster last year, including a guy who'd been drafted two rounds after O'Connell (Erik Ainge).

Could be that Mangini's somewhat disappointed in Ratliff. But if O'Connell had come in and both he & Ratliff impressed Thursday night, it's entirely possible that Mangini would have once again made the unconventional move and kept four.

I'm going to come out and say it, I think Bartel is better than Ratliff with some nice upside. He throws a very nice ball at camp and has the physique and the tools. Hard to believe Mangie would go against his own, but than again he is all about competition and playing the best.

IMO, Ratliff was a pretty big disappointment this camp and I for one whiffed on him. O'Connell could have been considered competition for Bartel.

Or, he wanted another warm body to play QB in the 4th quarter of Thursday's game, and was going to cut him after it... is that possible?

ya, thats another possibility. i've seen that done before, but i don't belive with a team thats had 4 QBs before. usually just 3 with 2 competing.

Very interesting.

What team do we think DA is going to?

I'm kind of upset we didnt give Harrel more of a chance.

I think he is in a Browns uniform as #2 unless they get an offer for him (which I think is unlikely at this point). I agree with the Harrel decision. I really think that they would have brought him into camp mid way through once they saw what they had in Bartel and Ratliff (who have not looked good), but he signed with the CFL. Hence the waiver they placed for O' connell. Question I have is will they keep 3 QB or will they just keep 2 and Have Cribbs as the Emergency #3?

Archived