THE BROWNS BOARD

Power of the dog review

The Power of the Dog

Netflix

R.        125 min

Around this time of year there are dozens of articles from various sources predicting nominations and possible winners of the upcoming Awards. One might guess it's because each of the Articles was based in part on the ones before it, not unlike this one. Anyway, there are some factors that might point to future success, winners of different film festivals different International Awards Etc. but one that seems to be mentioned in the top few is Jane Campion’s psychosexual Neo Western THE POWER OF THE DOG chronicling repression and misery among four characters on a 1925 Montana ranch.

Rancher Phil Burbank (Benedict Cumberbatch) is a nasty son of a bitch with a chip on his shoulder and nary a kind word to say to or about the other people in his immediate circle. All except for his sainted mentor called “Bronco Henry” a kind of mythical figure to him. Other members of that circle include his weaker overweight brother George (Jesse Plemons) who previously left the ranch but after failing in the academic world returns. George will fall in love with and marry Rose Kirsten Dunst) sensitive but damaged woman whose addiction to alcohol overcomes her as the tale drags along. Her artistic and probably gay son Pete (Kodi Smith McPhee) will take the brunt of Phil’s abusive behavior, that is until the turning point of the film as the basis of the relationship between Phil and Bronco Henry becomes clear and Phil and Pete's relationship begins to take a similar path.

Here are a couple key points. Bronco Henry gifted Phil with a handmade saddle which is his most prized possession. When his bond with the boy takes a turn Phil's will begin the painstaking process of making a rawhide rope for Pete. Before we understand what's going on, the drunken Rose gives a stack of hides to some Indians and Philip becomes inexplicably enraged

Apparently, they had been set aside to be used for the lariat.

That scene is important to the climax because in order to soothe the rage Pete cuts strips of hide from another cow which has died of anthrax. That disease will enter Phil's bloodstream through a cut on his hand and he dies.

And that, my friends, leads us to the most interesting part of this film which, not knowing the mind at the director, is pure speculation. We know that Pete is planning a career in medicine so exactly how aware was he of the dangers of giving Phil the infected rawhide strips? Is he completely unaware and this is just a tragic accident or does he know the consequences all along? And if it's the latter is it an act of revenge from the abuse in the first half of the film or a mercy killing to free his mentor from the pain of repressed sexuality he has carried his whole life? I guess you can think about that if you choose to heed my spoiler alert. At any rate despite whatever ulterior motives, I didn't enjoy this one but I don't think it's meant to be enjoyed.

C-

WSS