THE BROWNS BOARD

The tragedy of Macbeth review

The Tragedy of Macbeth

Apple

R.      105 min

Gang, I admit it's a pain in the butt trying to get a grip on Shakespeare. First of all, for the actors it's almost like having to learn a second language, either by learning that language or learning to deliver the lines phonetically like Ritchie Valens and La Bamba. The thespian has to know the meaning of his lines so he can get that idea across regardless of the unfamiliar and confusing speech patterns. It's even tougher for the audience who would need to study the script to get a grip on what's going on.

If the audience can hang on to the story even while only understanding a fraction of the language then the producers, directors and actors have done their job.

Two major ways Shakespeare is brought to the screen is either by a complete paraphrase a modernization of the cast language and set keeping nothing but the basic plot. WEST SIDE STORY is an example. The second way is keeping the original language, as best they can, and sticking with how it might have been heard at the Globe Theater in the 16th century. (Fun fact, in the mid-1400s Old English had been replaced by what they call early modern English which is closer to what we use today) That's the path director screenwriter Joel Coen has taken. I’d call him more of an editor than a writer since I felt it was more of an arrangement of the original Shakespeare but that's a minor point.

Macbeth (Denzel Washington) as we should remember from Senior English, is it mighty Scottish General driven by ambition and the urgings of his grasping wife Lady Macbeth (Frances McDormand), to achieve power by any means necessary. Tragically that includes treachery deceit and murder.  They will learn this age-old lesson the hard way: it's usually a bad idea to take the advice of three witches gathered around a cauldron. I'm just saying. Then again if everyone involved had done the right thing it wouldn't have been a tragedy.

Now let's address the elephant in the room. I have a good friend, a very liberal friend of Sicilian heritage. When GODFATHER 3 cast Andy Garcia, a Cuban, as Sonny Corleone's bastard son he had an absolute fit. Keep in mind the modern-day woke liberals would have the same kind of fit if Native Americans, for instance, for played by white actors. Apparently in the last few years they've reversed course almost demanding that White characters now be recast with African Americans, in this case the aging Denzel Washington portraying Scottish Macbeth. I would imagine that part of the reason for that was the shock value to grab attention from a subject that probably wouldn't appeal to most Americans, namely Shakespeare. That being said Washington, one of the best actors in the business regardless of race, played that role as well as any non Scottish actor. When I majored in theater in college there was a difference of opinion as to whether or not American actors should adopt a British accent to speak 14th century dialogue. I never thought it was necessary and Denzel doesn't do it here and I'm fine with that. And face it, it could have been a lot worse. It could have been Wesley Snipes.

THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH  is a fine and traditional production featuring superb acting, a look that harkens back to the 1930s film versions with state-of-the-art sound and technique. Just be sure you know forehand what you're in for.

A

WSS