THE BROWNS BOARD

Darian Kennard - complicated Justification regardless of any obfuscation

calfoxwc

Just to elaborate comprehensively:

Kennard was my third round pick in my stupid mock draft.

Perhaps it was stupid...er (more stupid) to some. However.........

As I said in a quick note - he was compared to Brandon Scherf, who was a first round pick, 5th overall.

So, even if Kennard can't play tackle, that is a great value pick in the third round.

There is a huge difference - Scherf entered the NFL, and was quickly moved to OG.

The reason is, he does not have the quick feet to play tackle. Reading profiles on him - he does

not have the quick feet, nor does he have good lateral movement. Of course he went to OG.

But they said Kennard and Scherf "have a similar body type".

Ok, but profile after profile - Kennard is absolutely said to have EXCELLENTLY QUICK FEET.

https://jetsfansunited.com/pages/kinnard_darian-2/

"Standing at 6'5". 345 pounds, Kinnard is truly an eye-catching draft prospect. He has the reach to swallow up opposing defenders in pass protection. His size and length allows him to work with power. He has surprising mobility and exceptional ability to open space with his fast feet is able to climb to the second level. Darian is explosive out of his stance, and he can close ground quickly. He possesses enough short range burst to adjust for stunts and his recovery athleticism allows him to make up lost ground.

D.K. is a fun athlete, but his athletic upside is further compounded by some of his operational tendencies. He is an energetic blocker in motion and drive defenders out of plays with relative ease. He has clear fighter mentality in one on one situations and strategically targets arms to negate rushers."

That is NOT Scherff. Not, not, not.

Now, consider Tristan Wirfs. Big man, I think he lost weight for the NFL - plays RT for the Bucs,

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tristan-wirfs/32005749-5237-0129-a756-9a5ceb881ea0

"

Overview

Right tackle with elite body type and freaky testing potential who might fall victim to elevated expectations based upon traits and Iowa pedigree. He has tremendous core strength and moves smoothly, over-sets and isn't the explosive drive-blocker former Iowa star tackle Brandon Scherff was. Wirfs has tools to handle gap-blocking duties while thriving in outside zone. If Wirfs can learn to play inside out and add a more effective jump-set into his repertoire, he could take a big step forward. Consistency of play could take some time, but he has the ability to become a good starter at either right tackle or guard. "

So, he is amazing for a big man - doesn't have the explosive drive blocking....that Kennard has. I think he is more like Scherff,  right there.

Now - I have always been amazed by Andrew Whitworth. Big man. Was drafted by the Bengals in the second round. Was a tackle in college - but started at OG. amd was put in as a LT because of injuries, and thrived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Whitworth

"Whitworth was selected by the Cincinnati Bengals in the second round (55th overall) in the 2006 NFL Draft. He made his NFL debut on special teams September 10 at Kansas City. He started at left guard in his second game, September 17 against the Cleveland Browns, as part of a line shuffle where left guard Eric Steinbach replaced injured Levi Jones at left tackle. Whitworth helped the Bengals pile up 481 yards against Browns, including 145 rushing yards by Rudi Johnson. He was in the starting lineup for the remainder of the season, in part due to the number of injuries that depleted the Bengals' offensive line. On November 12 vs. the San Diego Chargers, he helped the offense produce a season-high 545 yards and career-high 440 yards passing from Carson Palmer. He also had a key block on Rudi Johnson's seven-yard touchdown run in first quarter. "

Finally, I read up on Andrew Whitworth some more: it wasn't easy to find -

https://sportsforecaster.com/nfl/p/38625/Andrew_Whitworth

" Scouting Report

A bulldozer in the running game. Has great size and even better attitude. A high-character, hard working player who gets the most out of his size and talent. Has problems picking up speedier defenders. Needs to work on his positioning. Lacks fluidity and explosiveness. Not very fast and is only average athletically."

SO - Whitworth plays LT for the Rams, was a tackle for  the Bengals, and he is said to have a lack of fluidity and explosiveness.

Then, I go back to Kennard....I believe he will play tackle in the NFL. Or, with his fast feet etc, he could be an All-pro OG. The Browns want to be a

running team first - you need a guy to dominate the los and blow DL's off the line. That is Kennard.

Like I mentioned, I think a 345 lb guy could lose 15 lbs easily. He should. I think....I believe he would be a huge OL steal in the third round.

btw:

wouldn't you love to have THIS guy blocking for our running backs? lol

image.thumb.png.827491ab7f8e730895b1eb6be1fb033a.png

Darian Kennard - complicated Justification....imo..

He's a... 'Classic NFL O-Linemen Tween'er'...

USATSI_17493740.jpg.724775c920faca0b10442b020ff42353.jpg In my player vision🧐... here's what a pre-NFL Guard looks like...

I'm not into the Browns drafting OL tween'ers in the 3rd... In fact/I'm seeing few NFL Tackles coming out of this draft class.. After the names of..Evan Neil/Ekwonu & Cross... beware!

Lots of labels, as best at run blocking.. Pass Pro? It's not really looking good as 'NFL promising in talent'...(it's a passing game) 

Kennard on 2 games of tape? My notes read... He's funky raw as heck/un-balance at times (top & bottom) & grabby when beaten...

I'm wait & see on most these O-linemen until final Bowl vs their best competition...

Trevor Penning of Northern Iowa fits my 'wait & see'.. After that name.. LT/RT options might run very slim?

Penning in 2 games of tape/ Think starting RT Brian O'Neill at Vikings

#trustCallahan //// @Tour2ma any opinions on OL options 🤞  hope your doing well sir !

• Thanks 1

We've got our starting guards and starting tackles under long term contracts. Three Pro Bowlers and1st Rounder going into year three.

So unless this guy plays Center, he's a backup and a special teamer if comes to Cleveland. 

So ... why?

Z

You could be/are probably right. Kennard does need to lose some weight. "They said Wirfs would probably go inside.

Some mock had Kennard going with the first pick of the second round. What do I know? lol

But as much as I like Hance - watching him have a terrible day vs watt makes me want a big power RT.

If I did another stupid mock draft, maybe I would pick Chad Muma, lb instead in the third round. Penning is all that and more - but first round - not happening, we all know that.

6 hours ago, Zombo said:

We've got our starting guards and starting tackles under long term contracts. Three Pro Bowlers and1st Rounder going into year three.

So unless this guy plays Center, he's a backup and a special teamer if comes to Cleveland. 

So ... why?

Z

I really don't see but 20 players of real 1st round quality this draft... 2.5 rounds of NFL depth in this draft..QB's i'd toss out, all but Pickett as a top 25th long shot..

The Browns are a few good FA qualities away at.. WR/DT/Edge

Draft needs? 2 WR's/ IDL/ Edge/  (Safety/ LB/ Tackle is in a pile of BPA in any round)  Berry has been good at seeing value in drafting early & late/// I'd like to see him get better with his 3rds thru 5th's though..  https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/analyzing-andrew-berrys-two-browns-nfl-draft-classes-going-into-2021/ 

If Schwartz becomes a whiff? I'll never forget the Linemen Berry passed on.. 😑 

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Penning is all that and more - but first round - not happening, we all know that.

ok! I'll note this.. but meanwhile, leave your opinion open to changes 🤔 ... https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Trevor-Penning-OL-NorthernIowa   

What round was your T Trey Pipkins drafted in? I'm digging for a browns 4th/5th/6th round option at OL

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

ok! I'll note this.. but meanwhile, leave your opinion open to changes 🤔 ... https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Trevor-Penning-OL-NorthernIowa   

What round was your T Trey Pipkins drafted in? I'm digging for a browns 4th/5th/6th round option at OL

wait - I meant the Browns wouldn't draft Penning in the first round. I don't remember Pipkins being my OT.... I looked it up, he was drafted in the 3rd round a few years ago. It's interesting. Experts fail to guess right...

this article has the Browns taking a surprise player:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952719-2022-nfl-draft-1-surprise-prospect-every-team-could-target

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I really don't see but 20 players of real 1st round quality this draft... 2.5 rounds of NFL depth in this draft..QB's i'd toss out, all but Pickett as a top 25th long shot..

The Browns are a few good FA qualities away at.. WR/DT/Edge

Draft needs? 2 WR's/ IDL/ Edge/  (Safety/ LB/ Tackle is in a pile of BPA in any round)  Berry has been good at seeing value in drafting early & late/// I'd like to see him get better with his 3rds thru 5th's though.. 

well I'm guessing this thread put some guys #2 pencil to work 🤓

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-positions-to-watch-this-offseason

33 minutes ago, Orion said:

Who's our RT?  I think right now that spot is in question.

Jack Conklin, who suffered a pretty serious injury at the end of last season, and who is on the last year of his contract. 

It makes sense to invest a 3rd rounder on his replacement. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Orion said:

Who's our RT?  I think right now that spot is in question.

it is - Conklin is outstanding, but Nov - he had surgery to repair the torn patellar tendon. It could take up to a year to get back. Hubbard is also on IR. The run game suffered with him out. If they don't have Conklin for half a season, and Teller gets hurt, the Browns are in trouble at this point. A lot of weight goes on a knee - it took a year and a half for my knee to be back, but my situation wasn't just a tear....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Jack Conklin, who suffered a pretty serious injury at the end of last season, and who is on the last year of his contract. 

It makes sense to invest...

Exactly.  (and I think we were without him for half the season)

I listen to The Fan at work sometimes and the morning guys were tossing around the idea of drafting a LT in round 1 and moving Wills back to RT.  Obviously you'd have to know what Conlkin's medical situation is.  And if he's coming back then where do you invest in another?  I mean we DID draft a T last year in the 4th round.  And he of course had to play...which wasn't pretty.  Maybe ya take a flier with our 3rd round compensatory pick that we're getting because Berry lost one of his right hand men.

The next 3 months are going to have to answer Conklin's situation because we suffered without him.  And we'll have to find out if Hubbard is just a Cheerio floating in the milk.  He's been a good utility player. 

Sure, Charles Cross would solidify one of the tackle positions for the next decade.. and would DI in the second with Phidarian Mathis or Drake Jackson actually fix anything?

Chief issues as I see it are the DI and the WR groups.. keeping a WR room that as a group is less athletic than Ohio State's 2022 recruiting class seems unwise, especially if there's a goal of Baker being productive next season.. And when we cut Hooper we'd also need to draft a TE relatively high I'd presume.

Now that we've got an extra 3rd in 2022 and 2023, no more DI excuses!

And when anyone has crazy thread ideas, instead of posting.. please watch bad movies instead.  Today's western stars a Swede who uses a harpoon instead of a pistol.  Terror in a Texas Town

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2022 at 4:01 AM, Zombo said:

Oh, I didn't realize Conklin only has one year left. That is a concern.

Z

And his injury is such he may never be the same again as well..

On 1/26/2022 at 10:02 AM, Zombo said:

So ... why?

Z

Because it'd be nice to have quality O-line depth? Several of those pro bowlers you mentioned were out a significant number of games throughout this year and our offense suffered for it

• Upvote 1

On 1/26/2022 at 9:08 PM, Orion said:

I listen to The Fan at work sometimes and the morning guys were tossing around the idea of drafting a LT in round 1 and moving Wills back to RT.  And if he's coming back then where do you invest in another?  I mean we DID draft a T last year in the 4th round.  And he of course had to play...which wasn't pretty. 

Obviously you'd have to know what Conlkin's medical situation is. <<<<<<THIS again..

Joel Bitonio is a all pro left guard..now getting paid tackle money... I'd almost bet, he could end his career with being a all pro left tackle a few times...

Does finding a starting left Guard sound like a much easier find than finding any starting Tackle? 

Team gms have whiff'd on finding NFL grade tackles/ than move them to playing guard...

#we-make-💩-to-hard   

• Upvote 1