THE BROWNS BOARD

Oklahoma reimagined

https://www.koco.com/article/okc-broadway-mixed-reviews-production-changes/38931563

I had the ill Fortune to see this production of the touring cast in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago. Disgusting and ugly beyond comprehension.. ironically it wasn't destroyed by what usually destroys woke Productions this one just seemed to s*** on the original production for no reason. Oklahoma has never been one of my favorite Broadway shows but if you've ever seen it unless you were you know who, I dare you to find any trace of toxic whiteness or sexism or patriotism in the original production. And again it wasn't about race. I didn't even mind the musical productions being stripped down to guitar bass drums. No doubt it's cheaper than an orchestra.. Granted this wasn't the original Broadway cast but the Broadway touring companies are still world-class performers. Here the dancing and singing might have been considered okay in a High School production. Of the three female weeds, something of a love triangle, one was in a wheelchair one was so fat the male character couldn't get his arms around her. I could have maybe overlooked The Bleak and minimalist staging but not the bad performances even though they were meant to be poorly performed. Had a chat with the guy at the door on the way out who told me that 30% of the audience bailed during intermission.

I understand race-baiting it movies and films, I don't like it but I understand it. Ugliness for ugliness sake is beyond my comprehension. I'm sure someone out there owns and enjoys Yoko Ono records but...

WSS