THE BROWNS BOARD

New scam

Westside Steve

Got one of these yesterday. It was reasonably clever. Didn't take more than a couple exchanges to figure out it was BS but I imagine some people could be suckered in by it.

Text comes in say hi Orlando I'm in town for a few more days so if you wanted to get together I'd love to. No doubt they could use any fake name but the response will almost always be sorry you got the wrong number. The next text will be I'm so sorry to bother you this is really frustrating I think somebody gave me a fake phone number. Normal response would be sorry to hear it. Hope things work out. Scammer reply: thank you, it's nice to know that all men aren't jerks. Next text is a photograph obviously a selfie, of a reasonably attractive woman and something about she's stuck in town for a few days what's my name? At that point you know it's a scam and block the number. Area code was Portland by the way.

I think you would have to be pretty stupid to go any further but I thought it was a clever scam. Now I wish I'd have kept it up to see exactly what they were fishing for.

WSS

13 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Got one of these yesterday. It was reasonably clever. Didn't take more than a couple exchanges to figure out it was BS but I imagine some people could be suckered in by it.

Text comes in say hi Orlando I'm in town for a few more days so if you wanted to get together I'd love to. No doubt they could use any fake name but the response will almost always be sorry you got the wrong number. The next text will be I'm so sorry to bother you this is really frustrating I think somebody gave me a fake phone number. Normal response would be sorry to hear it. Hope things work out. Scammer reply: thank you, it's nice to know that all men aren't jerks. Next text is a photograph obviously a selfie, of a reasonably attractive woman and something about she's stuck in town for a few days what's my name? At that point you know it's a scam and block the number. Area code was Portland by the way.

I think you would have to be pretty stupid to go any further but I thought it was a clever scam. Now I wish I'd have kept it up to see exactly what they were fishing for.

WSS

Portland ? want me man

I’ve said this on here before

I get calls and texts all the time for “Mike”

I tell them they have the wrong number and my name isn’t “Mike”

They say they have the correct number, but the wrong name 

I have had the same cell number for over 20 years. No one has ever had it named “Mike”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

I’ve said this on here before

I get calls and texts all the time for “Mike”

I tell them they have the wrong number and my name isn’t “Mike”

They say they have the correct number, but the wrong name 

I have had the same cell number for over 20 years. No one has ever had it named “Mike”

I've had a couple of similar phone calls asking for somebody other than me when I say they have the wrong number they will continue I wonder if you can help me... they will have some sort of an offer they wanted to give to the fake guy and wondered if I was interested.

WSS