THE BROWNS BOARD

★ It's a BLAST from the past in old rediscovered pictures ! Me at 23. Got any of yours ?  

mjp28

It's a BLAST from the past in old rediscovered pictures !   Me at 23.  Have you got any ?

We were cleaning out my mother's house on the old homestead the past few months and found some gems. My dad's old NAVY pictures from the Korean War era, a picture of my mother when she was 16 and many others.

And from 1974 some 52 years ago that's me at 23 standing in from my latest used car buy a exceptionally clean red 1969 Mach 1 with the gold bullet stripes ........ that I paid (about)  $1,500 for, today's price $ xxx,xxx ???

In the background is my mother's house that we built when I was 12-13 years and finished in 1963 part of our 5 acre property.   The original house that my grandfather built that I grew up in and the old big barn were gone.   All that remains and will be up for sale will be the 5 BR 2 car garage brick ranch house,  the adjacent 4 car garage, the small barn and the property.

None of the remaining sons need or want all of that so after nearly 60 years away it goes  " Gone With the Wind ".

Sad but great memories.

PhotoRoom-20211129_211648.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

And my wonderful old 1978 Chevrolet C-10 shortbed  pickup truck.  The only new vehicle that I bought for myself I paid  $4,180 with tax title out the door.

I always had linkage issues with the 3 on the tree shifter so I put in a really neat 3 speed shifter on the floor with a comfortable big white shifter knob........cool !  Also put that cap over the bed on it.

I did buy two new motorcycles including my all time favorite  HONDA 350 Scrambler really fun on or off road riding.

PhotoRoom-20211129_212001.png

And where it all began my first car a red 1965 Mustang  289  4 speed. 4 barrel a really fun car.  I bought it used in 1968 for a whoppin'  $1,300 the price today  name your price !

What a great car to have when you're in college....... and I was working down the mill,. Some really unreal times.

The pictures are changing tires and first day I had the car where else but at home.

20211128_184732.jpg

Michael '65 Mustang

Michael '65 Mustang

• Like 1

One of the very few remaining pictures  of my favorite  all time  car my super cherry  1969 Chevrolet blue with white stripes Camaro Z-28  that only had 16,000 miles on  for $1,800 in 1971 !  Price today  $×××,xxx  ???    This was the rival for the  1969 Mwch 1 which I bought  one later.    The winner was the  Z  hands down.

This picture was taken at my aunt's house that I bought in 1975.

What a muscle car  era.    I also bought a used 1966 Austin Healy Mark III around  1970 and  always  had a motorcycle.  

Car on top my Z  car on bottom my cousin's  about  1965 Belvedere. 

20211128_184755.jpg 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
41 minutes ago, Orion said:

I used to have Camaros.  And I also had a Belvedere.  Was his push-button automatic transmission like mine?

My 1969 Z-28 was the best car I ever had !  

My cousin tried to make his Belvedere into a muscle car I don't think that it was an old " juke box drive ". 

The only memorable thing about it was when he was in the NAVY and on his way home and it broke down in Sweetwater Tennessee.  and he had to wait there for parts.  Sounds like a country & western song.

• mjp28 changed the title to ★ It's a BLAST from the past in old rediscovered pictures ! Me at 23. Got any of yours ?  

Had a used 1967 Mustang 289 V-8 when my wife and I were 23. Sold it upon return from Vietnam and got a new Toyota Corona and a Honda 350 motorcycle. The Corona had the acceleration of a land terrapin, but we sure went everywhere on that Honda together. Lots of rides in the Hill Country near Austin. Funniest (in retrospect) was driving beside a shooting range we did not know was there and almost crashed it trying to get out of the "ambush". Hadn't even been back a month at that point. LOL! Funny now.😂

Here is where it started in 1968 my 1st car a used red 1965 Ford Mustang with a 289 V8 with a 4 barrel, 4 speed even the spinner hub caps, cute little car great for going to college and work and wherever.  I paid about $1,300 for it, when I went to sell it a few years later I was having a hard time finding a buyer the market was loaded with little muscle cars even with the little goodies that I added,  sold it for about $600  -but- someone stole it from the US Steel parking lot the night before for the wheels and tires, geeeezzzz.

I worked down the mill with a millwright who drag raced 1966 Mustang HiPo (High Performance) cars at the strip and street.  He was big time all in with a trailer and the works.  I wired up his garage and cellar for a welder, compressor,  wheel changing machine,  lights, plugs the works all in conduit in exchange he gave me a boat load of stuff he didn't need for his car and worked on it in his garage.  A nice win/win for both of us. 

But here's where it started day 1 in my mother's driveway with the 10 day tag in the rear window.   A nice little car that was replaced by my 1969 Z-28 and on it went with my love of motorcycles and muscle cars.  

Michael '65 Mustang-1.jpg

Michael '65 Mustang~3.jpg

And my favorite two out of four HONDA motorcycles pictured here.

1st - A well used 1962 HONDA Dream a real pig. A 305 ci Super Hawk engine, 4 speed desperately needed a 5th, 384 overloaded lbs. Paid $200 should have put it in our barn and left it there as an old classic. No pictures that I can find.

2nd - A red 1970 new HONDA 350 Scrambler the most fun bike I ever had, I have a spec sheet somewhere for it   -but-  I think it was 33 hp, about  90 mpg and 100 mph top speed which I tried once on a freeway like an idiot.  Never did that again.  Got it on sale in January about $735 +/- a real steal.  Went on off road, hill climbed plus drove it to YSU often and over every inch of roads in Mill Creek Park.  Great gas mileage.  I  absolutely loved  this bike.  

3rd - A nice 1974 new HONDA 500 Four  nice but not enough engine for me.  A smooth cruiser but it won't keep up with your friends.  Got rid of it quick.

4th -  A real nice used  1975 HONDA 750 Four  and a real nice cruising bike. Decent gas mileage and quick enough to get going in traffic. I paid exactly  $1,600 and got $1,600 for it about 4 years later.   The guy said when I called to bring some help to get the bike out of his apartment one flight down.  No problem I was working midnight and got two big millwrights to help us.  He had it in his apartment all winter it was super clean and polished.  Great bike !

When I sold it in 1979 I wasn't sure if I wondered if I wanted a new HONDA with a radiator (BAD IDEA !)  or a new Harley.   Well I met my wife that year and guess what..... ...yeah I never bought another bike.  Smart ?  Maybe but down deep I always wanted another one.  

1970-honda-cl350-scrambler-1.jpg

1977_honda_cb750k_dsc_0358-copy-4-44241.jpg

IMG_8313 (1).jpg

My first motorcycle was a used Honda 175. But back from Vietnam it was a new CB 350. Later had a used Honda 750, then a new one in the early 90's and my last one was a brand new 1999 Honda VFR-800 with linked braking system. Best damn all around motorcycle I ever owned and boy with that fuel injected engine you could kick it down a gear or two going 60 and be rocketing well past 100 in a NY minute. It was like having access to an afterburner. And it lost no power in the higher altitudes of Colorado either. That thing loved mountain curves. Sure miss it.

• Like 1

HONDA motorcycles start everytime,  run great, no complaints (if you're sized right for the task) I'll take them every day of the week. 

images (5).jpeg

• Thanks 1