THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker demands trade...

Zombo

9 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Again, I applaud the aggressive thinking in pursuit of a Franchise QB, but IMHO this is the first “poorly thought out” move by this front office. I’m glad it didn’t work - if it had, they’d all be fired 2 years from now or sooner - It would have been a PR.nightmare. And having gauged the low probability that DW would have selected Cleveland, the resulting issues with Baker, their lack of trust, their lack of morales, - what a mess! The FO should have been smarter than this. If pushed by ownership, then I hope they read this post and hear fans calling them morons (amongst other things),

I don't think it was poorly thought out..I think its a desperate move and they should be desperate. You go with Mayfield and youre fired in 2 years. There's been 4 coaches in 4 years, right? This FO see Mahomes in the AFC champ every year, Allen, Herbert, Burrows in the Superbowl, Russel Wilson, now Carr has Devante Adams....we have problems beating Lamar Jackson when he has no one around him. What solves PR, Marketing...etc issues? Winning. You know good PR and Marketing can't solve losing. Now reports had the locker room saying go get Watson, .....Maybe Baker's antics wore thin along with seemingly as talented as Kirk Cousins......ijs

11 hours ago, Frenchie said:

Does anyone else think DW said no to Cleveland because we didn’t draft him when we had the chance? He’s been quoted before that he hates Cleveland for doing that.

That was so long ago...alot of things have happened...we would've been out the mix immediately if that was it....we were the only AFC team in the mix

6 minutes ago, laiccm said:

That was so long ago...alot of things have happened...we would've been out the mix immediately if that was it....we were the only AFC team in the mix

Seems Retarded to offer multiple first round picks, when they could’ve had him with one pick several years ago.

Editor's Picks

The trade request comes after Watson was reportedly unhappy with the process used by the team to hire Caserio in early January. If the Texans choose not to trade Watson, he could opt to not report to mandatory team activities or training camp, but at a cost.Jan 28, 2021

So thats your  boy. Now you can shop online for a Falcons jersey

WSS

20 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:
Editor's Picks

The trade request comes after Watson was reportedly unhappy with the process used by the team to hire Caserio in early January. If the Texans choose not to trade Watson, he could opt to not report to mandatory team activities or training camp, but at a cost.Jan 28, 2021

So thats your  boy. Now you can shop online for a Falcons jersey

WSS

And you can go get a Lions jersey with Mayfield on the back   lol

48 minutes ago, laiccm said:

And you can go get a Lions jersey with Mayfield on the back   lol

Hopefully he will still be starting for the Browns. The Browns front office just did a crappy job trying to get somebody they knew didn't want to be here. Don't know why you picked the Lions, maybe you're just stupid but...

WSS

Perhaps Baker could use this as a moment of maturity.    Tell Front Office and Stefanski that there are mulligans all around and he plays out his final year.   One would then hope that he "balls out" and has a great year - which would be good for him and the Browns. 

27 minutes ago, mohican said:

Perhaps Baker could use this as a moment of maturity.    Tell Front Office and Stefanski that there are mulligans all around and he plays out his final year.   One would then hope that he "balls out" and has a great year - which would be good for him and the Browns. 

Hey, anything is possible. But I think the odds are that he’s gone in a trade before or during the draft. 

3 hours ago, laiccm said:

super true

I was shocked when they didn’t run to the podium with the pick! A national collegiate champion with all the tools falls into your lap ...

4 hours ago, laiccm said:

I don't think it was poorly thought out..I think its a desperate move and they should be desperate. You go with Mayfield and youre fired in 2 years. There's been 4 coaches in 4 years, right? This FO see Mahomes in the AFC champ every year, Allen, Herbert, Burrows in the Superbowl, Russel Wilson, now Carr has Devante Adams....we have problems beating Lamar Jackson when he has no one around him. What solves PR, Marketing...etc issues? Winning. You know good PR and Marketing can't solve losing. Now reports had the locker room saying go get Watson, .....Maybe Baker's antics wore thin along with seemingly as talented as Kirk Cousins......ijs

Not so sure their jobs are on the line. They’ve drafted well, make great pick-ups and trades, made the playoffs, coach of the year, etc.They also work well together. Need to take a Steelers approach and maintain stability. Be patient ... and the right opportunity for a QB will come. As long as you recognize one when it’s available.

9 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Not so sure their jobs are on the line. They’ve drafted well, make great pick-ups and trades, made the playoffs, coach of the year, etc.They also work well together. Need to take a Steelers approach and maintain stability. Be patient ... and the right opportunity for a QB will come. As long as you recognize one when it’s available.

That's a fact. Regardless if anybody's love or hate for Mayfield the organization seems to have been so fickle for the last million years or so. Crash and Burn every couple years. Too lazy to look it up but I have to imagine that's a higher rate of rebuilding than most teams especially these successful ones.

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Hopefully he will still be starting for the Browns. The Browns front office just did a crappy job trying to get somebody they knew didn't want to be here. Don't know why you picked the Lions, maybe you're just stupid but...

WSS

Atlanta is another team that has been actively courting Watson. The difference is, Matt Ryan has wisely remained silent throughout the whole thing and hasn't been writing "poor me" letters on social media like Baker has.

At the end of the day, football is a business. Watson is a far more talented QB than Baker and the Browns were smart to pursue him. Baker can be butt-hurt all he wants to be, but the Browns hold all the cards on whether they want to trade him or not. I'm not mad at all for the Browns trying to improve the team and make a winner.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Atlanta is another team that has been actively courting Watson. The difference is, Matt Ryan has wisely remained silent throughout the whole thing and hasn't been writing "poor me" letters on social media like Baker has.

At the end of the day, football is a business. Watson is a far more talented QB than Baker and the Browns were smart to pursue him. Baker can be butt-hurt all he wants to be, but the Browns hold all the cards on whether they want to trade him or not. I'm not mad at all for the Browns trying to improve the team and make a winner.

Let me repeat the 36 or 37 year old quarterback have the 7 and 10 Atlanta Falcons, on his way out preparing for a sweetheart deal that will be something of the NFL's version of Social Security. As opposed to the quarterback who is 10 years younger and proposed to be the starting quarterback this year by the head coach the general manager and everybody involved. Until we got blindsided to? Speaking of just business was it the Saints coach that put the bounty on opposing players? Did anybody use the defense it's just business and he was doing what he could to help his team win?

🤣

WSS

PS I rooted for Rocky Balboa not Clubber Lang in Rocky 3.

You know, I've thought on this debacle for a day now, and here's the thing I'm struggling with more than anything. There's no doubt the landscape of the NFL is rife with elite NFL QB talent. I'm not sure in the 20+ years I've seriously watched the NFL you point at over 1/3rd of the league (which is exactly the number of QB's I have as "franchise QB" level). That includes two dudes in our own division. I'm actually not even including Prescott or someone like Mac Jones who may easily get to that level too. The vast majority of those dudes are also going to be the league for 10+ years, too.

My point is, this team showed last year it could win football games as well as showing that in 2020 despite this climate. I understand this FO wants to find a dude at the level of the guys I'm talking about above. But, the reality was that outside of courting a sexual deviant no one rises to that level in the free agent market. It is a well known secret that teams see this draft as extremely poor. Given all this, why would staying with Baker for one more season not be the obvious decision? In terms of NFL decisions, its easily the lowest risk, highest reward given the landscape of the NFL. 

It leads me to believe strongly that the team and Mayfield just don't like each other, and we're at the "Flores being fired" out of Miami scenario in Cleveland. 

9 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

You know, I've thought on this debacle for a day now, and here's the thing I'm struggling with more than anything. There's no doubt the landscape of the NFL is rife with elite NFL QB talent. I'm not sure in the 20+ years I've seriously watched the NFL you point at over 1/3rd of the league (which is exactly the number of QB's I have as "franchise QB" level). That includes two dudes in our own division. I'm actually not even including Prescott or someone like Mac Jones who may easily get to that level too. The vast majority of those dudes are also going to be the league for 10+ years, too.

My point is, this team showed last year it could win football games as well as showing that in 2020 despite this climate. I understand this FO wants to find a dude at the level of the guys I'm talking about above. But, the reality was that outside of courting a sexual deviant no one rises to that level in the free agent market. It is a well known secret that teams see this draft as extremely poor. Given all this, why would staying with Baker for one more season not be the obvious decision? In terms of NFL decisions, its easily the lowest risk, highest reward given the landscape of the NFL. 

It leads me to believe strongly that the team and Mayfield just don't like each other, and we're at the "Flores being fired" out of Miami scenario in Cleveland. 

You maybe right.....If you are the FO if you're gonna take Aaron Rodgers-level nonsense...then it better be...Aaron rodgers. Forget the league..the AFC is insane...

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

Cuz that's where he's going and nothing is wrong with going after a much better guy...You can hope all u want....he ain't coming back buddy

19 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Baker can be butt-hurt all he wants to be, but the Browns hold all the cards on whether they want to trade him or not.

On the contrary, Baker has a guaranteed contract this year which means he gets paid whether he plays or not.

Given the availability of quality FA quarterbacks (or lack there of) and an abysmal crop of QB’s in this years draft, I would say Baker has all the leverage.

I believe Jimmah’s willingness to fly down to Austin and mend fences is a clear indication of who’s holding the high ground.

Just now, Canton Dawg said:

On the contrary, Baker has a guaranteed contract this year which means he gets paid whether he plays or not.

Given the availability of quality FA quarterbacks (or lack there of) and an abysmal crop of QB’s in this years draft, I would say Baker has all the leverage.

I believe Jimmah’s willingness to fly down to Austin and mend fences is a clear indication of who’s holding the high ground.

The Browns are....See if Mayfieild can find a top 5 oline, defence, rushing attack with a Ameri Cooper somewhere else?Kirk Cousins can get you to a wildcard with our squad

The bottom line is if Baker was good enough, they wouldn't need to attempt to clumsily upgrade the position. He should man up, play lights out this season (if he can) then walk out as a free agent not whine and request a trade. Joe Burrow went to the SB on a team with half our talent.

18 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

Joe Burrow went to the SB on a team with half our talent.

On the Oline* 

Cincy has some great young weapons at the skill positions and a solid defense.    Their Achilles heel, which showed its ugly head in the 2nd half of the SuperBowl, was their Oline.    Keep in mind I'm saying was*, because it looks like their IOL has been fixed now.   Which makes them, IMHO, probably the most complete team in the AFC if not the entire NFL.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Does that guaranteed contract mean he gets paid if he refuses to play?  Or just if he is injured or cut.

48 minutes ago, laiccm said:

The Browns are....See if Mayfieild can find a top 5 oline, defence, rushing attack with a Ameri Cooper somewhere else?Kirk Cousins can get you to a wildcard with our squad

The Browns can trade him, or he can sit and get paid, and walk at the end of the season.

Its that simple.

So in your infinite wisdom, what else can happen?

10 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

The Browns can trade him, or he can sit and get paid, and walk at the end of the season.

Its that simple.

So in your infinite wisdom, what else can happen?

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that his contract, like any contract, has a clause that says if you refuse to play you don't get paid. This is conjunction with fines all teams are able to levy to players for skipping required workouts, etc does not in any capacity he would still get paid. 

If that's not the case, the whole FO deserves to be fired.

14 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that his contract, like any contract, has a clause that says if you refuse to play you don't get paid. This is conjunction with fines all teams are able to levy to players for skipping required workouts, etc does not in any capacity he would still get paid. 

If that's not the case, the whole FO deserves to be fired.

I’m not an attorney, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stipulations.
Here’s what I was able to find out.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/baker-mayfield-contract-details-salary-bonuses/

09F21230-79F0-4547-A5EA-6B8BEB12D09A.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I’m not an attorney, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stipulations.
Here’s what I was able to find out.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/baker-mayfield-contract-details-salary-bonuses/

09F21230-79F0-4547-A5EA-6B8BEB12D09A.jpeg

Yeah, but I'd be absolutely shocked if all NFL (and all pro athletes) don't have a clause as part of that guarantee that says "you must play if healthy or you owe us it back/don't get the money"

Antonio Brown, for example, was voided of his guaranteed money for "conduct detrimental to the team". I feel pretty strongly refusing to play despite being healthy falls under that sorta thing.

10 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Yeah, but I'd be absolutely shocked if all NFL (and all pro athletes) don't have a clause as part of that guarantee that says "you must play if healthy or you owe us it back/don't get the money"

Antonio Brown, for example, was voided of his guaranteed money for "conduct detrimental to the team". I feel pretty strongly refusing to play despite being healthy falls under that sorta thing.

I would agree, but since the Browns forfeited their future for Watson…the point is moot.