THE BROWNS BOARD

Thankful for Baker

AP1

My Mom stormed into 5th grade basketball practice in 1993 to let me know that the Browns cut Bernie.

That's the day I learned the business of professional sports...I would never experience that heartbreak again, but Kenny Lofton to the Braves for David Justice and Marquise Grissom left me feeling a little empty.

Baker is no Bernie, not even close, but I'm thankful for the pendulum swing, of which he was a part, that brought the Browns out of the cellar. He does not have the physical ability to overcome his head and his mouth, the mouth of his wife and, now, Dad. 

In my lifetime, the Clinton Administration ushered in the era of not looking to public figures for morality. I do admit, I did not know the specifics of Deshaun Watson until I spent a half hour reading Friday night. My initial thought was thinking many professional athletes probably patronize similar establishments looking for the same outcome sans the legal and civil issues, of course. 

I'm excited for the upcoming season. We all should have expectations of Conference Championships and the Super Bowl. I live in Colts' Country and local sports talk is always mocking Jim Irsay for a phrase he beats to death but never executes "All In."

Like him or not Jimmy Haslem went all in. I'm thankful for Baker and excited for Deshaun Watson.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Well said, AP. Although I have to admit, I never had a problem with Baker’s ego or his public persona. I appreciated his swagger and truly felt like he was the guy to bring the Browns back to respectability. He gave it his all for the Browns, got them into the playoffs (finally) and won them a game no one gave us a shot in hell of winning.

In the end, he just wasn’t the guy. Not here.  And kudos to Berry et al who had the courage to fight for something better.

While I truly believe that this upgrade at the position is precisely what was required to get the Browns to finally contend, I’ll likely never like Watson like I liked Baker. Wish the dude well wherever he ends up.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Well said, AP. Although I have to admit, I never had a problem with Baker’s ego or his public persona. I appreciated his swagger and truly felt like he was the guy to bring the Browns back to respectability. He gave it his all for the Browns, got them into the playoffs (finally) and won them a game no one gave us a shot in hell of winning.

In the end, he just wasn’t the guy. Not here.  And kudos to Berry et al who had the courage to fight for something better.

While I truly believe that this upgrade at the position is precisely what was required to get the Browns to finally contend, I’ll likely never like Watson like I liked Baker. Wish the dude well wherever he ends up.

I echo these sentiments completely... I wish Baker well.. I don't care what May Kay Cabbage Fart says... I think shes a stone cold liar... Her credibility as a reporter is as shitty as they come.. I personally think she wants revenge on Mayfield because he told her to fuck off!... Other than that.. Whats done is done... Frank Reich will do right by Baker... I can even agree Baker needs to tone it down some.. I still think he's a good kid  whose learning lifes hard lessons along the way... Thank's Kiddo!!

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, darren15 said:

Will Baker be handing in the keys to the stadium now he doesn't live there anymore ?

Will he still do those dorky insurance commercials in the Cleveland BROWNS stadium  ?  I wonder if he has a deal like that   -or-  will that go with him to Indianapolis  ?

Inquiring minds want to know !  :lol:          (I think that was a National Enquirer advertising thing way back when. )