THE BROWNS BOARD

OVERTIME?

SdBacker80

Your thoughts…And Lots of debate this offseason and proposed solutions.  The Bills are whining that they didn’t get a possession last postseason.  Nevermind that they gave up a scoring drive in 13 seconds or a TD on the Chiefs first overtime drive.

What is the solution?  

Everyone gets a drive?  
One full period tally the score at the end?College Rules?

Others?

Or do we Keep it as is?

...Everybody gets a trophy!

Look, it's the same for both teams.  One guy from each team goes to midfield.  A coin will be flipped.  Either team has the same odds.  

If you get the ball, you need to go down the field and score a TD.   If you don't, then your D has to stop the opponent.   Kinda' like....football.

If you lose the coin flip, then your D needs to stop the opponent from scoring a TD.  If your D cannot, then you're not good enough to be declared the winner.

The game has to end at some point.  It cannot be allowed to go on like a baseball game where you sit on the bench for half the game and then go stand around on the field for the other half.  It's a brutal game that cannot be allowed to go 6 quarters.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bbedward said:

I think both teams should get at least one offensive possession regardless of a TD or not in OT.

OK...so both teams score TD's.  Then what?  You're right back where you started. 

10 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

College OT rules are stupid as hell.

The new changes after the 7 OT win of A&M over LSU has made it far better than before. I don't like the fact that an NFL team can win on first possession without the other team having a shot as well. 

I would prefer another whole quarter winner take all when the clock runs out. If it's a tie in the regular season, then it's a tie after that extra Q. In the playoffs just play on with the college rules if it's still a tie after the extra Q. Two point attempts until somebody fails when the other doesn't with both teams getting their fair shot.

12 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

College OT rules are stupid as hell.

Yep, they start in FG range at the 25, it's stupid.

The NFL should only have OT for playoff games. Play it like the "old days" where you have to actually play defense if you lose the coin flip. Teams have 60 minutes to win it, so OT should be "sudden death." 

And as far as the Buffalo Bills situation, they gagged like the Oilers did vs them in the 90s. I never hated or liked the Bills, but I'm tired of hearing about how they should have had a possesion in OT. Frankly, I have a funny feeling they will sink a bit this season, teams usually don't shake that kind of a gag off easily.

• Upvote 1

NFL agrees to alter overtime rules — for the postseason only

The rules came under scrutiny during the NFL playoffs

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-agrees-alter-overtime-rules-postseason-only

The NFL on Tuesday approved an alteration of the league’s overtime rules for the postseason beginning with the 2022 season.

Each team in overtime during the NFL playoffs will get possession. The rule was brought to the NFL's annual meeting in Florida by the Philadelphia Eagles and the Indianapolis Colts.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Josh Allen of the Buffalo Bills at Arrowhead Stadium on Jan. 23, 2022 in Kansas City, Missouri. 

Josh Allen of the Buffalo Bills at Arrowhead Stadium on Jan. 23, 2022 in Kansas City, Missouri.  (David Eulitt/Getty Images)

Previously, the first team who scored a touchdown in overtime would win the game. If the team possessing the ball didn’t score or only got a field goal, then the opponent would get a chance on offense.

The overtime rules came under scrutiny during the divisional round playoff game between the Buffalo Bills and the Kansas City Chiefs.

NFL MAKES ADJUSTMENTS TO ROONEY RULE TO AID MINORITY HIRING

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Gabriel Davis celebrates with teammate Jon Feliciano during playoff football game against the Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, Jan. 23, 2022, in Kansas City, Missouri.

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Gabriel Davis celebrates with teammate Jon Feliciano during playoff football game against the Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, Jan. 23, 2022, in Kansas City, Missouri. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

The Chiefs got the ball first in the overtime period after winning the coin toss. Patrick Mahomes led an eight-play, 75-yard drive that was capped by a touchdown pass to All-Pro tight end Travis Kelce. The Chiefs would win the game 42-36.

The gripe was that the Bills didn’t have a chance to get the ball and match the Chiefs. Josh Allen was having the game of his life. Allen finished with 329 passing yards with four touchdown passes. Each of his touchdown passes went to Gabriel Davis, who finished with eight catches for 201 yards.

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes scores on an 8-yard touchdown run ahead of Buffalo Bills safety Micah Hyde during the first half of an NFL divisional round playoff football game, Sunday, Jan. 23, 2022, in Kansas City, Missouri.

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes scores on an 8-yard touchdown run ahead of Buffalo Bills safety Micah Hyde during the first half of an NFL divisional round playoff football game, Sunday, Jan. 23, 2022, in Kansas City, Missouri. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Buffalo missed out on a chance to play in the AFC Championship and the Chiefs went onto lose in the game to the Cincinnati Bengals.

9 hours ago, Bob806 said:

And as far as the Buffalo Bills situation.....................................................I have a funny feeling they will sink a bit this season, teams usually don't shake that kind of a gag off easily.

They just added Von Miller, a key to the SB run of the LA Rams.  I think they will prove you wrong.

40 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

They just added Von Miller, a key to the SB run of the LA Rams.  I think they will prove you wrong.

They might, but seriously look at the way they lost. Lots of teams in NFL history never got their mojo back after crushing playoff losses. 

I don't know what their schedule looks like, I could look it up, but I'm betting they won't go better than 10 wins in 2022. 

On 3/28/2022 at 8:15 PM, Orion said:

...Everybody gets a trophy!

Look, it's the same for both teams.  One guy from each team goes to midfield.  A coin will be flipped.  Either team has the same odds.  

If you get the ball, you need to go down the field and score a TD.   If you don't, then your D has to stop the opponent.   Kinda' like....football.

If you lose the coin flip, then your D needs to stop the opponent from scoring a TD.  If your D cannot, then you're not good enough to be declared the winner.

The game has to end at some point.  It cannot be allowed to go on like a baseball game where you sit on the bench for half the game and then go stand around on the field for the other half.  It's a brutal game that cannot be allowed to go 6 quarters.

This is a bad take. 

Explain how it is like the game if football for only one phase of the game to matter in a win or loss? 

10 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Explain how it is like the game if football for only one phase of the game to matter in a win or loss?

That's easy!  You had all game, 60 minutes, to score more points than your opponent.

The game has to come to an end.

15 minutes ago, Orion said:

That's easy!  You had all game, 60 minutes, to score more points than your opponent.

The game has to come to an end.

You're letting a coin flip decide which phase of the game is going to matter. That's stupid. Especially when the solution is literally just one more drive to make it even. 

Using your logic you might as well just flip a coin in OT to determine the winner

just for the playoffs…
Both teams get possession now.  If the score is tied after that scenario it is sudden death.  Next score wins.  Coin flip IMO is still important 

The strategy will be do you go for two.  So If the Bills would have gotten the ball back after the Chiefs scored they would have had an opportunity to score and go for two for the win or kick the extra point and put Mahomes back on the field.  You could back it up and say maybe the Chiefs score and go for two and force the Bills to score and go for two just to force sudden death.  

On 3/28/2022 at 7:19 PM, SdBacker80 said:

Your thoughts…And Lots of debate this offseason and proposed solutions.  The Bills are whining that they didn’t get a possession last postseason.  Nevermind that they gave up a scoring drive in 13 seconds or a TD on the Chiefs first overtime drive.

What is the solution?  

Everyone gets a drive?  
One full period tally the score at the end? College Rules?

Others? Or do we Keep it as is?

I've been saying this for years... Both teams should get a possession in overtime. First team scores a touchdown, other team has to score a TD, or the game is over.  Next score wins. 2nd team could go for 2, get it, and then the game IS over...  Meditating on this- the only exception I can imagine is if the first team in overtime gets sacked for a safety, (it's never happened) then the game IS over, as they'd be kicking off to the other team.  :) 

BTW, I HATE the college OT rules...   

On 3/28/2022 at 7:37 PM, ATOM said:

fuck it if either team cant win just let it end in a tie

Except in the playoffs, can't happen... Someone has to win.  I agree, eliminate overtime during the regular season though.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

just for the playoffs…
Both teams get possession now.  If the score is tied after that scenario it is sudden death.  Next score wins.

Here's the thing.  We're ALREADY tied.  Played for 3 hours.  Why create another scenario to be tied?  Cut to the chase.  

On 3/29/2022 at 8:01 PM, Bob806 said:

They might, but seriously look at the way they lost. Lots of teams in NFL history never got their mojo back after crushing playoff losses. 

I don't know what their schedule looks like, I could look it up, but I'm betting they won't go better than 10 wins in 2022. 

Regular season or do you include playoffs?

Here are the opponents. https://www.buffalobills.com/schedule/future-opponents

5 hours ago, Orion said:

Here's the thing.  We're ALREADY tied.  Played for 3 hours.  Why create another scenario to be tied?  Cut to the chase.  

Well, I'll give you a couple "what ifs" from other sports to show you why it's not fair. 

1) Basketball tied. Team recovers jump ball, immediately scores... GAME OVER.  

2) Even worse.. Baseball...   Visiting team scores first in the 10th, home team never gets their at bats... GAME OVER.   

On 3/28/2022 at 9:17 PM, bbedward said:

College overtime rules are the best and always have been the best.

The fact ties exist at all is stupid.

But as is, I think both teams should get at least one offensive possession regardless of a TD or not in OT.

Obviously, you can't have a tie in a playoff game.  I think both teams should get a shot on the first go.  After that, 1st to score in any form.  In the regular season, no overtime works for me.  Ties can work against you, they can help you.  If not being in a tie is the goal, you can take steps the entire game to reduce that chance.

It shouldn't just be a thought process in the last minutes of a game.  Like I said, sometimes a tie is just fine.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Last season they were 11-6 and I expect they will match or beat that with Miller added to an already excellent D. You're on for a 🍺.😁

No problem, bet is on!!!

Point/counter point lol. Their excellent D gave up 42 points vs KC. Yes, only 1 game. but good teams find ways to score. Looking at their schedule, they have to play 5 "subpar offenses" ( NYJets x2, Miami x2, Detroit) based on the 2021 season, and a couple "iffy offenses" (Cle, Pitt). 

I maintain this gut feeling they'll be something like the 1989 Browns....good, not great.

24 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

No problem, bet is on!!!

Point/counter point lol. Their excellent D gave up 42 points vs KC. Yes, only 1 game. but good teams find ways to score. Looking at their schedule, they have to play 5 "subpar offenses" ( NYJets x2, Miami x2, Detroit) based on the 2021 season, and a couple "iffy offenses" (Cle, Pitt). 

I maintain this gut feeling they'll be something like the 1989 Browns....good, not great.

And I have followed one of the very best pressure players in the NFL for years. He really was the key to a change of attitude with the Rams this past year. Brings his diligence right into the locker room and convinces everyone they can win it all. He hasn't lost a step.

I am good with the as is over time resolution in the NFL. Seems to me to strike a balance between player exposure to injury and fair resolution of a tie. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I am good with the as is over time resolution in the NFL. Seems to me to strike a balance between player exposure to injury and fair resolution of a tie. 

I agree.

this issue brought out a lot of “we can’t extend the game for player safety”.  If that is the case, Why did the NFL extend the season to 17 games?  We know this answer $$$$ but the safety argument is weak IMO if you consider this and other actions by the nfl 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

this issue brought out a lot of “we can’t extend the game for player safety”.

Risk / Benefit is always a consideration. Extending the season produced a clear and sizeable bennie for the league, which ulitimately will trickle down to the players in future CBAs . Can't see that being the case for more OT snaps.

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Obviously, you can't have a tie in a playoff game.  I think both teams should get a shot on the first go.  After that, 1st to score in any form.  In the regular season, no overtime works for me.  Ties can work against you, they can help you.  If not being in a tie is the goal, you can take steps the entire game to reduce that chance.

It shouldn't just be a thought process in the last minutes of a game.  Like I said, sometimes a tie is just fine.

Nothing wrong with that. 

I prefer NO OTs in regular season games   -but-  if they do have OT 15 minutes may be too long, 12 or at least 10 minutes is OK.    Try not to over complicate things wherever possible including penalties