THE BROWNS BOARD

A brilliant true war movie

have a cold, just finished watching it - free to watch on Spectrum  TV free movies channel.

About the work a young politician got involved in, to get a hero Air Force Airman a Purple Heart.

He was a Medic in the Vietnam War - there are flashbacks to the violent action of our Soldiers being overrun,

eventually you find out a lot of hidden truth, which ends up being told as the young, self-driven on the move man starts

interviewing Veterans who lived through that time and were saved by the Hero of the story.

There is corrupt self-interest, threats to derail the young politicians career and personal life....

a lot of outstanding acting, a ton of heart break, and the young politician learns that he will fight

for that Purple Heart no matter what. It's an evolved true story - it takes different turns you don't expect.

A really, really great movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Full_Measure_(2019_film)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/4/2022 at 1:55 AM, calfoxwc said:

have a cold, just finished watching it - free to watch on Spectrum  TV free movies channel.

About the work a young politician got involved in, to get a hero Air Force Airman a Purple Heart.

He was a Medic in the Vietnam War - there are flashbacks to the violent action of our Soldiers being overrun,

eventually you find out a lot of hidden truth, which ends up being told as the young, self-driven on the move man starts

interviewing Veterans who lived through that time and were saved by the Hero of the story.

There is corrupt self-interest, threats to derail the young politicians career and personal life....

a lot of outstanding acting, a ton of heart break, and the young politician learns that he will fight

for that Purple Heart no matter what. It's an evolved true story - it takes different turns you don't expect.

A really, really great movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Full_Measure_(2019_film)

Great movie... I could totally identify with it... My Stepfather was a Vietnam Vet.. If I remember right... He did 2 tours of Duty.. He never got the Purple heart he truly deserved for pulling soldiers out of a foxhole to safety.. My Stepfather was not a big man...Butt he was as mentally tough as they come... I knew deep down he had a lot of mental scars from the war.. Here is a piece of music that I wrote called Fallen Soldiers in honor of all the men and women who died for freedom and our way of life and video to accompany it... Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 1:29 AM, nickers said:

Great movie... I could totally identify with it... My Stepfather was a Vietnam Vet.. If I remember right... He did 2 tours of Duty.. He never got the Purple heart he truly deserved for pulling soldiers out of a foxhole to safety.. My Stepfather was not a big man...Butt he was as mentally tough as they come... I knew deep down he had a lot of mental scars from the war.. Here is a piece of music that I wrote called Fallen Soldiers in honor of all the men and women who died for freedom and our way of life and video to accompany it... Enjoy!

Not to be picky but you get the Purple Heart for wounds received. But he should have been put in for a Bronze Star with Valor at a minimum for what you described. My hat is off to him for that effort. I saw some guys do something like that together, but I don't think they were put in for anything either. Very selflessly took some chances to make sure others were not left alone to their on devices.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Not to be picky but you get the Purple Heart for wounds received. But he should have been put in for a Bronze Star with Valor at a minimum for what you described. My hat is off to him for that effort. I saw some guys do something like that together, but I don't think they were put in for anything either. Very selflessly took some chances to make sure others were not left alone to their on devices.

My stepdad didn't care about medals.... He was a man of very few words.. But , He got his point across fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, nickers said:

My stepdad didn't care about medals.... He was a man of very few words.. But , He got his point across fine.

My grandfather never talked about his experiences in WW I as an 8" artillery battery commander either. But my brother and I followed his footsteps on the ground from his daily diary from that time through the Saint-Mihiel and Meuse Argonne Offensives. In it he actually felt sorry for the German soldiers on the receiving end of thousands of their rounds in the opening early morning hours of the Meuse Argonne. He said it was so lit up by the concentrated fire across the front that it looked as though the sun was trying to come up. But we never heard him talk about it directly. We just read it in the diary from the location from where he had set up his guns that we had found on the battlefield.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My grandfather never talked about his experiences in WW I as an 8" artillery battery commander either. But my brother and I followed his footsteps on the ground from his daily diary from that time through the Saint-Mihiel and Meuse Argonne Offensives. In it he actually felt sorry for the German soldiers on the receiving end of thousands of their rounds in the opening early morning hours of the Meuse Argonne. He said it was so lit up by the concentrated fire across the front that it looked as though the sun was trying to come up. But we never heard him talk about it directly. We just read it in the diary from the location from where he had set up his guns that we had found on the battlefield.

Yeah my stepdad said very little regarding the War other than what was being reported on nightly televsion when Satlelight coverage was in its infancy.. So information still wasn't quite instant... I just remember guys like John Chancellor, Howard K.Smith and Harry Reasoners nightly reports in the late 60's early 70's.. Of course Walter Cronkite and David Brinkley , were household names back then

My Dad was in the Navy back then - he drove a personnel landing craft by himself. He was on an equipment transport with two other guys, but the officer in charge needed someone to volunteer to the single manned craft, so he did.

On the way over to the Philippines, he and some friends got on his boat and they drove around Hawaii to see the destruction. Weren't allowed onshore, ...he said it was devastating.

Once he got to the Philippines, it was toward the end of the war, and he was busy transporting officers from one ship to another. One time, a storm was up, and he still got them over there - the twin engines were great fun - he could park any kind of way he needed to. Once, in that storm, he got the officers to the other ship - and when he got back, he had to tie up his boat to another one, side by side. When he went to step a long step to the other boat to get on the ship again, the swell caught him off guard, took the boats apart just as he was stepping over, and he fell down into the bay in-between the two. Every time the two boats went apart, and started to come back together, he had to go under to keep from getting smashed. He finally had to swim all the way under his boat to the other side, and went up the ladder. The war ended, and he said that was the only danger he was ever in. lol. He was a long ways from the mountains of WV. The Greatest Generation.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Funny story from a landlocked mountain guy. Had a similar occurrence when we took a Vietnamese destroyer one night out to an island many miles offshore for a little PR work. My interpreter and I went to a topmost deck and went to sleep only to be awakened by a huge wave that was tipping the top so far over we had to catch the chain rails to keep from going overboard. We had gotten into a cyclone and everyone else had already gone inside with hatches all close. Made our way down and banged on one until they let us it. By then we had been totally drenched by waves coming over those lower decks. No more Navy for me, you betcha!!!!    🌊🤣

BTW the movie sounds very much like the real story of MOH winner Roy Benavidez whom we had come speak at the opening of the Austin Vet Center in the mid 1980's. Really decent guy who went out of his way to personally meet and thank every veteran in attendance for his or her military service. Here is how it reads in Wikipedia. The details of what it took to get the MOH well after the fact are uncannily similar. But what a story!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Benavidez

On 4/6/2022 at 2:29 AM, nickers said:

A purple heart is awarded for being wounded in combat.  Such as shot or hit by shrapnel, etc.

• Upvote 2