THE BROWNS BOARD

Intentional food shortages?

jbluhm86

Yep, I'll be having a real nice garden. And I've been dehydrating foods once in a while, and pressure canning....etc.

yep:

Are Tomatoes A Berries? - Updating 2022

Tomatoes, peppers, cranberries, eggplants and kiwis come from a flower with one ovary, and so are also berries, she said. Other plants, such as the strawberry

The Real Reason Tomatoes Are Berries - Foodiosity

Tomatoes are berries due to their structure: they come in three layers, with the seeds growing in the innermost layer. All berries have very small, seeds surrounded by a thick pulp. And all berries come from a single flower ovary, and are a single fruit. Other examples include blueberry, banana, grapes, gooseberries.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Yep, I'll be having a real nice garden. And I've been dehydrating foods once in a while, and pressure canning....etc.

yep:

Are Tomatoes A Berries? - Updating 2022

Tomatoes, peppers, cranberries, eggplants and kiwis come from a flower with one ovary, and so are also berries, she said. Other plants, such as the strawberry

The Real Reason Tomatoes Are Berries - Foodiosity

Tomatoes are berries due to their structure: they come in three layers, with the seeds growing in the innermost layer. All berries have very small, seeds surrounded by a thick pulp. And all berries come from a single flower ovary, and are a single fruit. Other examples include blueberry, banana, grapes, gooseberries.

This is actually the first year I'll be growing vegetables in the back yard; I'll be mostly container growing since the yard is on the smaller side. So far I got Red Pontiac potatoes, Marglobe tomatoes, bell and habanero peppers going. I'm also looking into later season vegetables as well.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

This is actually the first year I'll be growing vegetables in the back yard; I'll be mostly container growing since the yard is on the smaller side. So far I got Red Pontiac potatoes, Marglobe tomatoes, bell and habanero peppers going. I'm also looking into later season vegetables as well.

containers work well. You can put up a small trellis and grow pole beans - I like blue lake, trying some different varieties. Early Girl and Rutger tomatoes are terrific.

15 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

Tomatoes in season here (summer) are great.   I don't like the off season (winter) variety too much.

tomatoes grown by the large farmers tend to be sprayed a lot - or too much damage to be profitable. The tomatoes are stored in a cooler filled with one gas  to have them ripen. When we sold tomatoes at the farmer's market - people all over loved them, and always they would say the tomatoes in a store taste like nothing. It's how mass produced food is prepared all too often, as far as some veggies and fruits are concerned. Maybe meats, too.

https://produceprocessing.net/article/processed-tomatoes-market-mainstay/

Your Apples Are A Year Old - Food Renegade

Here in the U.S. apples generally ripen between August and September. They pick the apples when they're slightly unripe, treat them with a chemical called 1-methylcyclopropene, wax them, box them, stack them on pallets, and keep them in cold storage warehouses for an average of 9-12 months. I guess we should be grateful.

14 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

containers work well. You can put up a small trellis and grow pole beans - I like blue lake, trying some different varieties. Early Girl and Rutger tomatoes are terrific. A wonderful cherry tomato is "Sunsugar". Ripe and terrific/sweet ripe when light golden. Another cool one is Ground Cherry.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TomorrowSeeds-Strawberry-Ground-Cherry-Seeds-300-Count-Packet-Physalis-Pruinosa-Groundcherry-Berry-Cape-Gooseberry-Tomatillo-Vegetable-Fruit-Seed-For/195822171?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101086957&adid=22222222222585348387&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=75110542367218&wl4=pla-4578710082438670&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Online&wl12=195822171_10001106321&wl14=ground+cherry&veh=sem&msclkid=f7f73834d3aa181c69d95a50d2e7f2c9

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-grow-organic-ground-cherries-2539577

I used to sell out of those, too - at every market. Used to sell wild blackberries just picked....for 4.99 a pint. But I started keeping all of them to make my jam.