THE BROWNS BOARD

Lost City review

The Lost City

Paramount

PG-13.       112 min

Okay, I knew better, I really did. I select movies to review for various reasons at various times; one of which is impressive box office numbers and as of this writing an action / adventure / romance / comedy, THE LOST CITY starring Channing Tatum and Sandra Bullock is Numero Uno with moviegoers around the world. Don't get me wrong I really don't think that public opinion has any correlation whatsoever with the quality of a motion picture, far from it, but neither do I think that pure snobbery is either, anda good indication either. Also at the end of the day what you enjoy is the most important factor there is.  Sandra Bullock has always been among the names mentioned when it comes to America's sweetheart as well as having won a best actress Academy Award, but I don't think I'm going out on a limb by predicting that she won’t win one for this stinker. Tatum, on the other hand, was probably at the top of his acting game in the Mountain Dew ads.

The plot is a typical chick flick situation in which polar opposites are thrown into a dangerous situation,  learn to truly appreciate each other, and wind up falling in love. Here Bullock is reclusive and bitter romance novelist Loretta Sage, who,  Since the death of her husband years ago, seems to actually resent the popularity of her books.  To make matters worse Alan, the Fabio-type male model who portrays Dash, her leading man on the cover of her books (Tatum) has grown just as popular so the two are  forced to suffer through a series of book tours for every novel.   For some inexplicable reason a nasty little bad guy (Daniel Radcliffe) has decided that there is actually a key to a lost treasure hidden in one of her books. He  kidnaps Allen and Loretta and takes them to a remote spot in South America where he forces them to find the spot the treasure is hidden.   Meanwhile her publicist Beth (Da Vine Joy Randolph)  a fat sassy black woman follows them to South America  to attempt a rescue, and to supply yet more non funny comic relief. Yes I know even with suspension of reality necessary in any movie that's just ridiculously unbelievable. The dialog the plot and the acting are among the worst I've seen in a good many years. The slapstick comedy falls flat across-the-board but wait..  Now for the saving grace which, is kind of. There is a scene in which Allen confronts Loretta about her  terrible attitude about the books she has written. How can she possibly be so embarrassed by something that's brought so much joy and happiness to others? A couple of rows behind me at the Cinemark Bistro there was a group of women laughing their asses off at every single joke and comedic scene in the movie.   I thought to myself what the hell, even if I hated every single minute of this dog there are people out there that actually loved it.  I guess that's why it's often a bad idea to take the word of somebody that gets paid to bitch about movies.  So whatever gets you through the night folk. Anyway,  I still think it sucks but instead of an F I’m going to give it a…The plot seems like your typical chick flick Situation In which Polar opposites are thrown into a dangerous situation and wind up falling in love. Here Bullock is reclusive romance novelist Loretta Sage,.

D-

WSS

On 5/3/2022 at 6:37 AM, Westside Steve said:

The Lost City

Paramount

PG-13.       112 min

Okay, I knew better, I really did. I select movies to review for various reasons at various times; one of which is impressive box office numbers and as of this writing an action / adventure / romance / comedy, THE LOST CITY starring Channing Tatum and Sandra Bullock is Numero Uno with moviegoers around the world. Don't get me wrong I really don't think that public opinion has any correlation whatsoever with the quality of a motion picture, far from it, but neither do I think that pure snobbery is either, anda good indication either. Also at the end of the day what you enjoy is the most important factor there is.  Sandra Bullock has always been among the names mentioned when it comes to America's sweetheart as well as having won a best actress Academy Award, but I don't think I'm going out on a limb by predicting that she won’t win one for this stinker. Tatum, on the other hand, was probably at the top of his acting game in the Mountain Dew ads.

The plot is a typical chick flick situation in which polar opposites are thrown into a dangerous situation,  learn to truly appreciate each other, and wind up falling in love. Here Bullock is reclusive and bitter romance novelist Loretta Sage, who,  Since the death of her husband years ago, seems to actually resent the popularity of her books.  To make matters worse Alan, the Fabio-type male model who portrays Dash, her leading man on the cover of her books (Tatum) has grown just as popular so the two are  forced to suffer through a series of book tours for every novel.   For some inexplicable reason a nasty little bad guy (Daniel Radcliffe) has decided that there is actually a key to a lost treasure hidden in one of her books. He  kidnaps Allen and Loretta and takes them to a remote spot in South America where he forces them to find the spot the treasure is hidden.   Meanwhile her publicist Beth (Da Vine Joy Randolph)  a fat sassy black woman follows them to South America  to attempt a rescue, and to supply yet more non funny comic relief. Yes I know even with suspension of reality necessary in any movie that's just ridiculously unbelievable. The dialog the plot and the acting are among the worst I've seen in a good many years. The slapstick comedy falls flat across-the-board but wait..  Now for the saving grace which, is kind of. There is a scene in which Allen confronts Loretta about her  terrible attitude about the books she has written. How can she possibly be so embarrassed by something that's brought so much joy and happiness to others? A couple of rows behind me at the Cinemark Bistro there was a group of women laughing their asses off at every single joke and comedic scene in the movie.   I thought to myself what the hell, even if I hated every single minute of this dog there are people out there that actually loved it.  I guess that's why it's often a bad idea to take the word of somebody that gets paid to bitch about movies.  So whatever gets you through the night folk. Anyway,  I still think it sucks but instead of an F I’m going to give it a…The plot seems like your typical chick flick Situation In which Polar opposites are thrown into a dangerous situation and wind up falling in love. Here Bullock is reclusive romance novelist Loretta Sage,.

D-

WSS

I can't do chick flicks... They are boooooringgggg!