THE BROWNS BOARD

Who To Look For IN 2023 Draft

TexasAg1969

https://www.drafttek.com/2023-NFL-Draft-Big-Board/Top-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2023-Page-1.asp

Day 2 from Walter: https://walterfootball.com/draft2023_2.php

Texas A&M has a couple of 6 ft. 3 in. corners likely there in range day two, though Johnson is likely the best all-around slot/LB/S/CB available. Great open field tackler who has the speed and twitch to stay with the best WRs in the SEC, but also shores up the LBs when he reads the plays correctly. I predict he will move into day 1 before the end of the 2023 season. One service has him rated a top 10 player. Hard to do with at least 3 QBs going in the top 10 most likely, including OSUs C.J. Stroud. How he does in 2023 will depend upon who replaces those two great receivers drafted in 2022.

We also see what surprises come out of the 2022 camps and 3 preseason games    -and-  the 2022 season to make that 2023 wish list. 

GO BROWNS,  2022, 2023 and beyond !  

13 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Do we have any picks next year??

Their own second-round pick.

A third-round pick.

The Browns received a third round compensatory pick for the hire of Kwesi Adolfo-Mensah as general manager of the Minnesota Vikings.

The Browns agreed to send a third round pick in the deal for Watson. It has not been confirmed if the Browns are sending the compensatory pick they received or if they will be trading their own third round pick.

Their own fourth-round pick.

A fourth-round pick from the Minnesota Vikings. The Browns sent 118th pick to the Vikings in exchange for 156th pick and a 2023 fourth round pick. The Vikings selected Akayleb Evans, a cornerback out of Missouri with the pick. At 156, the Browns picked Jerome Ford, a running back out of Cincinnati.

Their own fifth-round pick.

A fifth round pick from the Los Angeles Rams. The Rams sent the pick to the Browns in exchange for corner Troy Hill.

Their own sixth-round pick.

Their own seventh-round pick.

EDIT: In Summary 8 picks total at the moment.

2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th and 7th.

Long way from this point but I’d have to say we probably add a late second day pick with Baker. So let’s say Nine…and I don’t think we get any compensatory picks beside the one we received for the GM. 

I’ll be scouting Tackles, Centers, Defensive Lineman this coming college football season.  

47 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Will be an interesting year for Zach Harrison

Doesn’t play with any physicality.  Looks the part and has good athleticism but he’s got a long way to go.  I watched way too many WTH are you doing plays last year from him.  JTT and Sawyer are both better and they are 2024 draftees 

On 5/13/2022 at 5:44 PM, Tour2ma said:

2023 will be another big QB draft.

Which should make the 2nd round draft pool a bit deeper.

I still think we will trade Hunt or Johnson for a pick.  There is a outside shot that if we don't get a trade done for Baker, we just hold him for the year and get a compensatory for him.  I really think we won't just release him with no compensation.

The last of Conklin's 14M dollar contract will need to be addressed... Hubbard's on another one year rental...

Leads me to watching Berry's drafted T James Hudson again in 2022... YIKES! :ph34r:

Put me down for///EDGE or a RT...

On 5/17/2022 at 7:22 AM, gumby73 said:

The last of Conklin's 14M dollar contract will need to be addressed... Hubbard's on another one year rental...

Leads me to watching Berry's drafted T James Hudson again in 2022... YIKES! :ph34r:

Put me down for///EDGE or a RT...

When looking at starting in the 2nd round, we might need to look at where the value might be.  We know the top QBs and receivers are plucked.  So are the pass rushers and LT's and corners.

The 2nd is where the top RT's and interior linemen on both sides start to go.  In the 2nd is where backs start to come off the board these days..  I'd say a big RT might be the pick.  Maybe another DT type player.

But, it's early at this point.  Every draft has it's positions that seem stacked with talent much like WR was this year.  i know that QB is stacked next year.  I don't know what other position might be heavy with talent.  I could see guard as a position we might look.  Bitonio is only here another year, maybe 2 tops.

We are getting to the point where we really can go BPA  with needs taking a lesser role in ranking players.  Doing that keeps you with a solid base of players allowing you to maintain a top position in the league.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:44 PM, Tour2ma said:

2023 will be another big QB draft.

2023 NFL draft watch list: Quarterback (usatoday.com)

Teams were already looking to it this year.

And in general... 2023 NFL draft: Top prospects to watch (usatoday.com)

13 hours ago, ballpeen said:

We are getting to the point where we really can go BPA 

IF QB is solved... maybe, but D still needs work.

33 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Probably could still hit the DLine hard next draft too...

On offense, RT seems like a good possibility, along with a TE. 

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Ok....assuming QB is solved.  I don't think it is that big of an assumption.  Even if not, we will have to ride with Watson for the contract length.  QB is a position all it's own.  If you don't have one you keep taking them. If you have one, you don't take them even if BPA.  

I agree the D still needs a little work.  We are still at least questionable at the DT position and maybe another edge guy.  I also said getting to the point.  I don't think you ever get to a point in total where you don't have needs, or at least wants.  I mean, no matter who you have as starters on either side of the ball, you always have a worst starter even if everybody is all-pro except 1 player.  The same can be said of back-ups.

Another facet of BPA might be an example like the Ford pick this year.  He may have been our BPA at the time. He also may have been a projected need which goes in hand with what I was saying..just draft the best player in your view because each new season brings more or different needs.  

I also think we need to have a honest discussion on what BPA means.  No doubt you don't just draft in a vacuum and end up drafting 3-4 players at the same position.  Needs always have some influence on what a team does in the draft.  The teams that are good usually don't try to force the issue except maybe to trade up to get a player they like who is also what they consider a big need.

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Probably could still hit the DLine hard next draft too...

On offense, RT seems like a good possibility, along with a TE. 

I agree,  I also mentioned that where we are drafting is usually a good point in the draft where a RT is usually available and meets a BPA definition.  DT's as well.  

To add to my point above, BPA isn't a fixed line of players.  There comes a point somewhere after maybe the top 10 guys where you end up with groupings of players. As an example #11 might really be 3 players.  The groupings get somewhat larger the further in the draft you get.  Inside those groupings teams then have some positional flexibility to meet any need criteria they might have.

I just think the better teams are the teams who stay inside their groupings or don't reach more then 1 grouping down at most if they really are looking to draft a position over drafting a player.  In the end, don't draft positions, draft players.

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Unfortunately almost all in the players to watch list will be long gone before we get to #64 overall.🤣

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1