THE BROWNS BOARD

My Five Thoughts

Vegasdogg

1) Mangini The Quiet: I like it if it works, If these guys play to their potential, and maybe a little above, because they buy into his program, we're golden. If guys like Mosley, Barton, Elam and Coleman can help hold overs like Jamal, Joe Thomas, Fraley, DQ, E Wright, BManc and especially Rogers buy in for the first 4-5 games, he is on to something. If we're in most games into the 10-11th week, they've bought it. If not, his style means he has to win year two or else, IMO.

2) I like his handling of the press in Cleveland. Lets face it we don't have the same press as NY, but they are some of the worst in the league. Grossi, MKay and Schudel? I kind of like Schudel and Terry Pluto, and wish Hal Lebowitz was still around, because beyond that this press SUCKS!

3) So you dont know the QB for week 1? So you don't have Mangini reaching to explain why Jamal's not getting cut? So he doesn't tell you how injured a player is, or when he is coming back? For all of his media faults, I like his not saying what fans want to hear, and I certanily like him jacking the Cleveland press around. I think we all know what idiocy runs those columns, except the Pluto.Schudel pairing.

4) S Rogers is fine. So is Jamal L. So please stop with the "Rogers is hurt and I hope he plays." I think legitimatley Harrison could have played week 3 preseason, and Rogers the entire 4 games. Mangini does hold back players here and there, and any fool who think Jamal's is not in his plans (Mary Kay - yes you are fooking dumb as rocks) doesn't understand Mangini.

5) Trade Quinn or play him. I think Mangini can win with Anderson, if we can run the ball or stop the run. We can allow DA to be successful if we can do one or the other. If we can do both we can win. Quinn brings a 1st rounder from a shit team, than I say no. If he brings a 1st and a 3rd plus a player, do the deal, especially OL.

My drunk ass 2 pesos

1. I love the aggressive offense and defense. Thank GOD Mangini doesn't play the "read and react" game.

And, seems to me, the players love the aggressiveness. No more boring run run pass on third and long.

2. Thank GOD Mangini calls screens. My crowd used to sit around watching the game, and we kept

wondering why the hell the Browns never run a screen.

3. I think Quinn has the instincts to outwit defenses. His ball handling is great, he looks off receivers,

and just a hunch, I think he is harder to read by his stance and demeanor at snap time.

4. IMHO, Jamal Lewis is not the kind of player Mangini would cut. Maybe at the end of the season,

Lewis may retire, but cutting him now is not addition by subtraction.

5. The Browns will go to the playoffs, plain and simple.

Lewis isnt going anywhere and we cant win much with DA at the helm the guy is just a one dimensional pocket passer with the ultimate tunnelvision and every defense in the league knows it...sure lets trade BQ thats 1 bird in the hand for 2 in a bush but DA cant be traded he has no value outside of the browns so why not trade BQ for a mangini draft guy and dump DA next year as well...

just one thought, no two...

it is crazy to think that J lew is on the bubble and for those who say that his preseason tippy toe style has caused him to lose a step and therefore should retire, or be cut are COMPLETELY NUTs!! And have short memories... He is a large part of what we need to do offensively. Dont you naysayers think that he couldnt turn it on when the season counts? Dont you think that WHOEVER is behind center needs a BIG 245lb back go to guy to hand off to for 2-3 yards, or catch a screen? And what about ball control when it counts late in a game? How about bad weather?

To lump failure on him because of bad execution from Oline play {which is also in process of gelling} is too shortsighted.

Ill take JLew and his experience, and with our other backs he is a PLUS! Besides, who else is out there? Dropping JLEw would be plain stupid and wont happen thankfully!! jmho

2) Im believing an opening day WIN for the Browns! :D

1. I love the aggressive offense and defense. Thank GOD Mangini doesn't play the "read and react" game.

And, seems to me, the players love the aggressiveness. No more boring run run pass on third and long.

2. Thank GOD Mangini calls screens. My crowd used to sit around watching the game, and we kept

wondering why the hell the Browns never run a screen.

3. I think Quinn has the instincts to outwit defenses. His ball handling is great, he looks off receivers,

and just a hunch, I think he is harder to read by his stance and demeanor at snap time.

4. IMHO, Jamal Lewis is not the kind of player Mangini would cut. Maybe at the end of the season,

Lewis may retire, but cutting him now is not addition by subtraction.

5. The Browns will go to the playoffs, plain and simple.

The glass is half full, thanks for your optimizism and luck to us all.

I think the Rogers thing has been surmised as a potential problem by many and I don't understand why.

Mangie loves that guy and is flat out protecting him. He's keeping him fresh and injury free and I expect Rogers to just unleash himself once the season starts. Mangie has treated him with a ton of respect IMO after that initial stupidity that was blown out of proportion.

Another thing, word is Alex Mack is starting to make strides and should be the starter, and not by de facto. He has earned it, but ever wonder what he would have done if continually getting his ass handed to him by Rogers in practice?

He needed time to develop instead of getting mauled.

My 2 cents:

Denver has contacted the Browns about Quinn's availability. His trade value is at his highest. If Mangini has any doubts about Quinn being a franchise QB I'd expect him to make a deal. Sorry, but I don't think we are going anywhere this year and I would be very satisfied with 8-8 and being solid and competitive throughout the season. So, if there is a doubt about Quinn then DA would do until next draft.

If Quinn starts, he is the man and has the blessing of this staff as the long term solution.

The season will start with many vets logging the most playing time. As the year wears on and the young guys develop and see what the NFL is all about I expect to see them start pushing for playing time to show that they are keepers because there will be a lot of turnover again next year.

Thinking they will make the roster; guys you won't see around next year because of salary and positions that will or need to be upgraded.

Fraley, Steinbach, Lewis, DA, Heiden and Cory Williams........................that's a lot of money. Always a chance that one or more will step up and show they got enough left and can stay healthy enough to help the team, but most don't fit or are vastly overpaid.

JMO

@ Fairhooker....

" preseason tippy toe style "

Sorry but it isn't a preseason style....It is they way he has always run....Fact....is the reason B-more cut his ass!

Lewis, coming back from off-season ankle surgery, averaged 2.6 yards per carry on his 24 preseason carries with a long gain of 11. He hinted during an interview on his birthday, Aug. 26, that he wasn't going all out yet.

Solon- I guess we'll have to wait and see, I think Lewis has a lot more left, and even if its goal line stuff!! We're talking about veteren players here. Your just not gonna see the good stuff in preseason! J Lews value, if he stays healthy, will come down the road this season. I liked when he openly QUESTIONED the coaching staff [RAC] last year as to why they werent using him in the game plans more! That he actually wanted to be accountable to the outcome of those games, speaks volumes of the guys desire to play and win. To just cut him is PLAIN WRONG... so far as of today JLEw is still a Brown!!! :)

Lewis, coming back from off-season ankle surgery, averaged 2.6 yards per carry on his 24 preseason carries with a long gain of 11. He hinted during an interview on his birthday, Aug. 26, that he wasn't going all out yet.

Solon- I guess we'll have to wait and see, I think Lewis has a lot more left, and even if its goal line stuff!! We're talking about veteren players here. Your just not gonna see the good stuff in preseason! J Lews value, if he stays healthy, will come down the road this season. I liked when he openly QUESTIONED the coaching staff [RAC] last year as to why they werent using him in the game plans more! That he actually wanted to be accountable to the outcome of those games, speaks volumes of the guys desire to play and win. To just cut him is PLAIN WRONG... so far as of today JLEw is still a Brown!!! :)

That's all well and good Fair but can the guy get us yards? I don't get how folks think he is a short yardage back either, he's terrible at that. He runs straight upright and tippy toes. His lack of effectiveness limits our offense, but we need the guy around.

That's all well and good Fair but can the guy get us yards? I don't get how folks think he is a short yardage back either, he's terrible at that. He runs straight upright and tippy toes. His lack of effectiveness limits our offense, but we need the guy around.

I liked how Az kept Edge on the bench til the end of the season, [albeit probable attitude problems?] and look what happened... As far as Lewis getting us yards, he represents our best chance from the standpoint that hes done it before. But you know, I hardly remember him getting any catches, especially screens from DA last year. And if we plug him in different situations, instead of featuring him, I think we can get more out of him as well as get more balanced on attack , and especially use it for ball control. my 2cents

1. I like The Coach. He got a raw deal from the public and cleveland media... He isn't as bad or dry as they all wanted us to think. He seems like a fair guy, sometimes funny, but serious.

2. Start Quinn - live and die with the guy, we are going to suck anyways, lets see what we got. If he's terrible, great there is a ton of QB's in next years draft and we will be drafting high!

3. Trade Anderson, get whatever we can. Get a great player or a bunch of draft picks.

4. Find out what we got, as soon as we know for sure we will suck.. start playing everyone this year - This is something the Indians should have done!

5. I hope we bring back Jennings on the practice squad... a few of those guys looked pretty good. Who knows they were playing in the 4th quarter in the last preseason game. Thats why im not getting excited by anything we saw in any preseason game. We looked"ok" maybe "better" in some of the games - but most of that was against other teams 2nd string.

Use this year as a practice/preseason - lets see what we got & what we need... and just be honest with the public. We all will know within the first month or so of the season.

Here's my thoughts...

1) Stop the run, attack the opposing QB, so we can actually compete in our division

2) Win/protect our home field...gotta win at least 6 home games

3) Who cares what idiots like Peter King & the media think.

4) We've been waiting far too long for a winner...I think Mangini knows this, and if he fails here, he's done. While I'm not crazy about some of the things he's doing, for some strange reason I think it's gonna work out.

5) BEAT Pittsburgh

1. The Browns looked far more disciplined and aggressive on defense....and that was WITHOUT our best player in the middle. I think a rotation of Rubin and Rogers is going to make our D a lot more formidable than the mass media could ever imagine. I am thinking top half (top 16) of the league.

2. Same goes for the PASS D. They got some pressure on the QB with various packages, including bringing the INSIDE LB's. Imagine the kind of push we could get with a fresh Rubin/Rogers middle. Also, we really didn't see the 4-6 packages much during pre-season. I think the are going to be unveiled next Sunday to a great success.

3. Quinn is the QB (unless EVERYONE has been fooled). During his 8 drives, he average over 40 yards per drive, and only had a 3 and out 1 time. This is going to chew up clock....and give the D rest (see points 1 and 2). This in turn is going to keep the games close...and the Browns in striking distance. Ball control will be the name of the game.

4. ST's continue to be a strength for the Browns. Cribbs looked amazing as usual, Lawson wasn't much worse, and the first team ST's cover units were NASTY. Combine that with point #3, and the Browns may very well be winning the field position battle most of the season.

5. The Browns receiving corp is young...but showed a lot of poise and precision during the pre-season. We have speed, hands, and some leadership. We have 2 guys that can go long (BE/MoMass) and 2 guys willing to go over the middle (Furrey/Robo)....and then the ultimate wildcard in Cribbs...who can do it all, including end arounds. This group may not be BIG NAMES, but they have it all...and BQ can utilize all aspects of this squad.

Bonus. The RB's are a group that may not jump out at you, but keep in mind one is a rookie and another was hurt all pre-season. I anticipate a TON of screens...and a lot of quick hitters to the edges. We have guys with speed..and we have a very good FB for power up the middle. Again, nothing to get the opponents scared...but enough to keep them honest...with the occasional break-away ability.

Considering the above, the Browns are going to be IN THE GAME every week. I really think that, depending on the intangible bounce of the ball, the Browns will go anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7...and that is without anyone surprising with a break out season. If BQ and/or a couple of defensive players break out this year....yes, even the playoffs are a legit option considering the level of the schedule competition.

Archived