THE BROWNS BOARD

● BROWNS won't cut Mayfield, No. 2 WR not a priority, thrilled to have Clowney and more....

mjp28

Browns won’t cut Baker Mayfield, so Panthers & others shouldn’t hold their breath; No. 2 receiver not a priority: Browns Insider....thrilled to have Clowney and more.

Updated: May. 29, 2022, 11:16 a.m. | Published: May. 29, 2022, 5:00 a.m.  Cleveland. Com 

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- If the Panthers and Seahawks are waiting for the Browns to cut Baker Mayfield so they can get him on the cheap, they better not hold their breath.

The Browns have no plans to cut Mayfield, even if he’s still on the roster at the start of training camp in July, a league source tells cleveland.com.

With Mayfield under contract for a fully-guaranteed $18.86 million, it makes no sense for the Browns to cut him and take the entire hit. They’ll subtract whatever he makes from his next team from that amount, but it wouldn’t make much of a dent.

Browns thrilled to have Jadeveon Clowney in the house

The Browns were happy to get Clowney wrapped up last week to his one-year deal worth $10 million, with another $1 million in incentives. The deal includes an $8 million signing bonus and $9.25 million guaranteed. It includes $750,000 in likely-to-be-made incentives worth just over $44,000 per game up to 14......continued.....

• mjp28 changed the title to ● BROWNS won't cut Mayfield, No. 2 WR not a priority, thrilled to have Clowney and more....

Do you agree with this.......

No. 2 receiver not on the horizon (?)

The Browns are not one of the two teams besides the Colts having ‘fruitful’ discussions for receiver T.Y. Hilton, a source told cleveland.com. Stephen Holder of The Athletic reported last week that there are two other teams in the mix without naming them.

The Browns are happy with their receiving corps even though Amari Cooper is their only proven veteran, and don’t feel compelled to add a bona fide No. 2 just for the sake of it.

Likewise, former Texans receiver Will Fuller is not currently on the radar, even though a source told cleveland.com he’d love to come here and play with Watson. Second-year pro Anthony Schwartz, who still has plenty to prove, has similar speed and skills, and the Browns are hoping he can fulfill some of those downfield duties.

With tight ends David Njoku and Harrison Bryant set to get plenty of reps this season, the Browns feel they have enough veteran pass-catchers on the roster........

If one wants to come here on the cheap, fine.  Receiving is overrated in that either you can catch, or you can't.  Leadership doesn't improve that.  Leadership isn't overrated, but you only need 1 leader in the room.

Also, you don't designate leaders, it just happens.  Nothing says a rookie couldn't become the leader.

• Upvote 2

As for Baker, I would just keep him.  Not to be a dick, but business is business.  I would want to wait right up to the trade deadline to see if a team really needed to make a trade.  That could bring different teams in to the mix.  It also puts pressure on Bakers camp. They know that playing is the only way for Baker to maintain his viability.  Baker might want to eat some of his own salary in order to facilitate a trade as camp get closer and closer..

If we are going to have to eat salary, each game he stays here is eating in to the salary that teams don't want to pay. I also don't worry as much about the last roster spot we would have to use to keep Baker around for a while.

Has the Calendar turned to June yet? ;) Label these, as a writer stirring the pot on her off week. Oh well.. My Carolina hockey season ended with a true thud 🙄..so 

I too.. would still keep Baker on my team until a Watson pending suspension may get finalized. Mandatory Camp is still 2 weeks away. Berry can somewhat wait out the NFL and field only the real trade offers for Baker.. Baker could still help his self, my structuring a OBJ deal, to go to the team of maybe his semi choice ?

NFL Football in most minds, don't really start the evaluation period until the pads come on..  Last season for the Browns? That was Aug. 3rd...

Stay Cool 😎 & stay tuned.. meanwhile,

1) Don't be shocked if Baker gets traded by packaging a good depth RB or CB thrown into a deal ? 

2) Worry's of adding a DT or WR? Watch where the FA market money may drop to? as agents try to get players on 1 year deals into a teams mandatory camp..

Now look who's stirring the pot? 🤓  just like this nfl offseason... this 2 weeks prior, could still see some action

it's back to my full time job 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

If one wants to come here on the cheap, fine.  Receiving is overrated in that either you can catch, or you can't.  Leadership doesn't improve that.  Leadership isn't overrated, but you only need 1 leader in the room.

Also, you don't designate leaders, it just happens.  Nothing says a rookie couldn't become the leader.

We are better overpaying for aging worthless talent like we always do.

• Upvote 1

Tired of this sentiment that they did Baker so wrong. I say this as a Baker fan.

HE lampooned his own trade value by not acting like a professional. And HE was the one who said “goodbye” to Cleveland and told them he was never going to play here again despite an impending suspension to the Browns starter. He could be on a different team already if not for his mouth and even if he wasn’t, he could have put himself in a position to start a few games while Jackson sits the start of the season. Could have attempted to build his trade value.

The Browns have nothing to gain by cutting him. They have at least some potential to get something back by holding on in hopes that a situation changes elsewhere. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Tired of this sentiment that they did Baker so wrong. I say this as a Baker fan.

HE lampooned his own trade value by not acting like a professional. And HE was the one who said “goodbye” to Cleveland and told them he was never going to play here again despite an impending suspension to the Browns starter. He could be on a different team already if not for his mouth and even if he wasn’t, he could have put himself in a position to start a few games while Jackson sits the start of the season. Could have attempted to build his trade value.

The Browns have nothing to gain by cutting him. They have at least some potential to get something back by holding on in hopes that a situation changes elsewhere. 

I don't agree about the acting like a professional part but otherwise I think you're right. The team really has nothing to gain by cutting the guy. And there's no benefit for the Browns by enriching Carolina or Seattle . But if somebody coughs up four or five million and a fourth or fifth round pick at least they are getting some value instead of Jack schitt. So it's probably just a roll of the dice that somebody's quarterback is going to get hurt during training camp.

WSS

Thursday,

Austin Hooper’s post June 1st cut will become official .

They will gain a roster spot & $9.5m of cap space. If nothing else changes between now & then.

It will be: 88 of 90 roster spots.. $40,965,218 in cap space

The Browns hold their second open to media practice of OTA's today

so they say update, on a dawg named Suh... https://heavy.com/sports/cleveland-browns/ndamukong-suh-final-call-jadeveon-clowney/

• Upvote 1

We need to stop looking at a QB centric offense vis a vis skill players (receivers) being the classic "#1, #2" etc etc...

What you need are role players you craft your concepts and their counters off of.  This is how an offense such as the Patriots stays efficient and adaptable. 

If Watson is what I believe when he begins to take the helm of this team, you won't need dominant skill players or a pro-bowl loaded Oline and running game.    That's why QB is the most significant position investment in all of sports.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

We need to stop looking at a QB centric offense vis a vis skill players (receivers) being the classic "#1, #2" etc etc...

What you need are role players you craft your concepts and their counters off of.  This is how an offense such as the Patriots stays efficient and adaptable. 

If Watson is what I believe when he begins to take the helm of this team, you won't need dominant skill players or a pro-bowl loaded Oline and running game.    That's why QB is the most significant position investment in all of sports.

The QB is the most significant position and investment in all of team sports that's for sure.  A true franchise quarterback is kind of rare item and hard to find.

Think about all of the true franchise quarterquarterbacks that have played in your lifetime. .

I've heard and read that a true  franchise quarterback only come about once every generation  or maybe once every decade. (with some exceptions)

Think about it the Brady, Brees, Farve, Aikman,  Montana and others most are generally associated with football dynasties or super bowl winning teams. And is a good or franchise caliber quarterback pretty much a requirement for a Super Bowl Trophy in the team's office  ?  And the $$$$$ that goes along with it especially  in the modern era of $$$$ football. 

Maybe that's why we talk about them so much.      :huh:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

The QB is the most significant position and investment in all of team sports that's for sure.  A true franchise quarterback is kind of rare item and hard to find.

Think about all of the true franchise quarterquarterbacks that have played in your lifetime. .

I've heard and read that a true  franchise quarterback only come about once every generation  or maybe once every decade. (with some exceptions)

Think about it the Brady, Brees, Farve, Aikman,  Montana and others most are generally associated with football dynasties or super bowl winning teams. And is a good or franchise caliber quarterback pretty much a requirement for a Super Bowl Trophy in the team's office  ?  And the $$$$$ that goes along with it especially  in the modern era of $$$$ football. 

Maybe that's why we talk about them so much.      :huh:

The only thing is I put an asterisk on Aikman.. He never called his own plays or had audibles under Norv Turner.

No. 2 WR not a priority,

Are the Browns looking to run the Barry Switzer Wishbone offense?
MaAIgBaS_normal.jpg

The #Browns and RB D’Ernest Johnson agreed to terms on a one-year deal worth up to $2,433,000 —
with more than $900,000 in guaranteed money.
The deal was negotiated by @DrewJRosenhaus and @NFLrecord.

Same deal DJ's tendered tag would have paid..
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

No. 2 WR not a priority,

MaAIgBaS_normal.jpg

The #Browns and RB D’Ernest Johnson agreed to terms on a one-year deal worth up to $2,433,000 —

Same deal DJ's tendered tag would have been..

a very run heavy offense I wonder how many games they feel watson will be gone 4-6-8 ? the entire season ?

15 hours ago, syd said:

a very run heavy offense I wonder how many games they feel watson will be gone 4-6-8 ? the entire season ?

If were having to send Jacoby Bissette out there? sure.. tell Teller to go animal on a few pulls.. 😤.. "run the damm ball Stef"

I remember Coby Brissett as more of a dink & dunk dimer. He's far from the Baker gunslinger..  

a few concerns to start with..

a.)the Colts should of had the better O-Line to protect a QB over Miami's

b.) Jacoby has not shown to have, the Baker panic joystick button in the pocket leading to turnovers... He bails & runs or takes sacks 🙄

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds Sk% NY/A ANY/A 4QC GWD AV
Career       60 37 14-23-0 727 1208 60.2 7742 36 3 17 1.4 378 80 6.4 6.4 10.6 129.0 83.0   106 657 8.1 5.39 5.36 2 3 25
4 yrs IND     46 30 11-19-0 552 928 59.5 6059 31 3.3 13 1.4 291 80 6.5 6.6 11.0 131.7 84.2   81 479 8 5.53 5.56 2 3 21
1 yr MIA     11 5 2-3-0 141 225 62.7 1283 5 2.2 4 1.8 69 52 5.7 5.3 9.1 116.6 78.1   19 132 7.8 4.72 4.39     2
1 yr NWE     3 2 1-1-0 34 55 61.8 400 0 0 0 0 18 58 7.3 7.3 11.8 133.3 83.9   6 46 9.8 5.80 5.80     2
2016 24 NWE   7 3 2 1-1-0 34 55 61.8 400 0 0 0 0 18 58 7.3 7.3 11.8 133.3 83.9 40.2 6 46 9.8 5.80 5.80     2
2017 25 IND QB 7 16 15 4-11-0 276 469 58.8 3098 13 2.8 7 1.5 146 80 6.6 6.5 11.2 193.6 81.7 43.3 52 305 10 5.36 5.26 0 1 11
2018 26 IND   7 4 0   2 4 50 2 0 0 0 0 1 4 0.5 0.5 1.0 0.5 56.2 100.0 0 0 0 0.50 0.50     0
2019 27 IND QB 7 15 15 7-8-0 272 447 60.9 2942 18 4 6 1.3 143 50 6.6 6.8 10.8 196.1 88.0 52.1 27 159 5.7 5.87 6.06 2 2 10
2020 28 IND   7 11 0   2 8 25 17 0 0 0 0 1 13 2.1 2.1 8.5 1.5 39.6 58.3 2 15 20 0.20 0.20     0
2021 29 MIA qb 14 11 5 2-3-0 141 225 62.7 1283 5 2.2 4 1.8 69 52 5.7 5.3 9.1 116.6 78.1 48.2 19 132 7.8 4.72 4.39     2

Jacoby can still run, out of panic.. but he'll need to help himself, on his bad thrown% and get some help on blitz pickups & Receiver drops..

Advanced Passing

Games Passing
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Cmp Att Yds Bats ThAwy Spikes Drops Drop% BadTh Bad% OnTgt OnTgt%
2018 26 IND   7 4 0 2 4 2 0 0 0 0 0.0% 1 25.0% 0 0.0%
2019 27 IND QB 7 15 15 272 447 2942 12 21 3 24 5.7% 78 18.4% 315 74.5%
2020 28 IND   7 11 0 2 8 17 0 1 0 1 14.3% 3 42.9% 4 57.1%
2021 29 MIA qb 14 11 5 141 225 1283 1 6 1 17 7.8% 36 16.5% 158 72.5%
  Games Passing
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Cmp Att Yds Sk PktTime Bltz Hrry Hits Prss Prss% Scrm Yds/Scr
2018 26 IND   7 4 0 2 4 2 0 2.2 2 1 1 2 50.0% 0  
2019 27 IND QB 7 15 15 272 447 2942 27 2.6 135 56 54 137 27.0% 33 6.1
2020 28 IND   7 11 0 2 8 17 2 2.8 3 3 0 5 45.5% 1 2.0
2021 29 MIA qb 14 11 5 141 225 1283 19 2.5 62 26 24 69 26.8% 13 5.0

On 6/4/2022 at 6:42 PM, gumby73 said:

No. 2 WR not a priority,

MaAIgBaS_normal.jpg

Same deal DJ's tendered tag would have paid..

I doubt it, but seeing Chubb, Hunt, and DJ lined up in a wishbone would be pretty darn cool.  Probably work as well.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 5:21 AM, ballpeen said:

I doubt it, but seeing Chubb, Hunt, and DJ lined up in a wishbone would be pretty darn cool.  Probably work as well.

Cool, yes. But I don't think it would work. Way back in the day, the Longhorns ran the wishbone like crazy. I think it was
Ara Parsigan, hc of Notre Dame, who used a defense that he got from a high school coach, If I remember correctly.

The defense was designed as a defensive mirror of the wishbone. Everything they did was countered by the opposite formation, opposite players.

But Zombo is a huge Notre Dame fan - he will probably know the story better than I do.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Cool, yes. But I don't think it would work. Way back in the day, the Longhorns ran the wishbone like crazy. I think it was
Ara Parsigan, hc of Notre Dame, who used a defense that he got from a high school coach, If I remember correctly.

The defense was designed as a defensive mirror of the wishbone. Everything they did was countered by the opposite formation, opposite players.

But Zombo is a huge Notre Dame fan - he will probably know the story better than I do.

https://jcfb.forums.net/thread/10484/nd-quotmirrorquot-defense-of-full-backfield-wishbone

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Cool, yes. But I don't think it would work. Way back in the day, the Longhorns ran the wishbone like crazy. 

Stef needs to stop himself from running such a predicable set of play calls..

some team needs to start giving a sack happy Steelers/Ravens defense a different look.. 

here's a easy peek into a Switzer's coaching clinic..  https://coachad.com/articles/coach-ad-clinic-barry-switzer-wishbone-offense-oklahoma-football/

Characteristics of the wishbone

1. It is a four back offense; all four backs are in a position to run with the football.
  2. It has a good power structure, particularly to the tight end side.
  3. It has simplicity. We have four primary running plays: The triple option, the halfback counter, the counter option and the inside belly. This kind of simplicity gives us the opportunity to repeat and repeat until we get proper execution. Because of the few number of plays, we can practice to meet all types of defenses.
  4. It is a mirror offense. The split end and the tight end are the only people who flip flop. It poses a constant threat to both sides of the defense.
  5. It is a total offense; we use the same plays from goal line to goal line. We do not have to develop a special or new offense for different field positions.
  6. It has a constant game plan; we use the same plays from week to week. We practice our assignments versus our new opponent’s defense.
  7. It has great passing potential:
    1. Because of single coverage on our split end.
    2. Because of the opponents’ concern about our running game, the run-pass options create problems for the defense. 
  • Upvote 1

a.) while the media is thinking the 49'ers want to trade Jimmy G for Baker straight up? 🙃

b.) Try this one on for size...    

c.) Source - Seattle Seahawks WR DK Metcalf not at minicamp, absence unexcused

A source told ESPN that the Seahawks were receiving calls from teams interested in Metcalf but telling them they weren't shopping the receiver.

Another source further told The Times that Metcalf is not being given an excused absence, which means he could be fined up to $93,000 if he skips all of the minicamp — he can be fined in increasing amounts for each day he does not attend. Teams can waive the fines if they choose.

“I will say we are going to get something done,” Metcalf said. “I think I’m going to be in Seattle for the next coming years, yes sir.”

The 24-year-old Metcalf is entering the final season of his four-year rookie deal, due to make $3.986 million this year with a cap hit of $4.3 million after qualifying for a Proven Performance Escalator.

Metcalf is likely angling for an extension similar to the one the Eagles recently gave A.J. Brown — four years at up to $100 million with $39.9 million guaranteed at signing and $57.2 million guaranteed overall.

Metcalf played with AJ Brown at Ole Miss and the two share an agent, Tory Dandy of CAA Sports.

Dandy also represents 49ers receiver Deebo Samuel who has requested a trade, and like Metcalf and AJ Brown, is also in line for an extension entering the final year of his rookie deal.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/report-dk-metcalf-skipping-seahawks-mandatory-minicamp-this-week-as-wait-for-extension-continues/

Does the 2022 off-season WR market have another twist? stay tuned

On 6/4/2022 at 6:42 PM, gumby73 said:

Wow.  And Ford.  Is Hunt out?  That would be sad.  Hunt is a good football player.  He plays 'team' ball.  And he gives his all without complaining.

55 minutes ago, Orion said:

Wow.  And Ford.  Is Hunt out?  That would be sad.  Hunt is a good football player.  He plays 'team' ball.  And he gives his all without complaining.

All i can remember from last season is? Hunt lost game time twice with a calf injury & than a ankle injury that came with a MRI.. I'm from Hunt's hometown of Toledo, so I'm a huge Hunt fan.. but maybe they know something medically?

I think Berry purposely loaded up on RB's knowing the analynics of the RB Camp injuries...He'll get the 1st calls.. AB has Hunt/D'E Johnson on good 1 year market deals..Stef keeping 4 RB's to rotate 1 RB, at a set, at a time, drives me nutz  .. Ford or Felton will be fighting for RB4, imo 

edit-- here's a Felton stat fact idnk... Felton was credited with 4 fumbles last season.. he was some what lucky, not losing any of them as a fumble turnover... We now want this guy to tryout to be a WR5? 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/7/2022 at 2:44 PM, calfoxwc said:

I wasn't trying to say we should run it as some sort of base O.  We ran it a few times when Freddie was coach and had success. I do think as a wrinkle it would work just fine if we ran out of that set several times a game.  

What does several mean?  I don't know?  I suppose that would depend on how well it was working.

• Upvote 1