THE BROWNS BOARD

Revisiting the AR-15

calfoxwc

I wonder if Woody owns a knife. Knives are so easy to get, you know.

If he does, I sure hope that knife doesn't force him to kill somebody with it.

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I wonder if Woody owns a knife. Knives are so easy to get, you know.

If he does, I sure hope that knife doesn't force him to kill somebody with it.

I have a few knives... I'm a collector and am a Bushcraft hiker...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm a Camelbak hiker and a Ruger 9mm toter, unlike all you Brokeback hikers with knives hanging out.🙈

Does that mean you have a camel toe?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, nickers said:

Does that mean you have a camel toe?

Only if I can get one to hike with me, preferably from Nero's country which is close to Venezuela for having some of the most beautiful women in the world.💃

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

It's legal to conceal carry a weapon in the National Parks as long as it is legal in the State in which they are located.  

Yes, it is and that is why I will continue to keep my LTC in force since I hike Colorado's RMNP every year. Colorado and Texas have reciprocity, but only Texas lets you carry without a license now. I'll just keep it since I don't want to encounter a mama bear who takes a shine to me as a potential threat to the little ones. Out in the wilds I make racket with my walking stick up against trees so they don't get surprised and have plenty of time to get away.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Only if I can get one to hike with me, preferably from Nero's country which is close to Venezuela for having some of the most beautiful women in the world.💃

You're alright man 👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yes, it is and that is why I will continue to keep my LTC in force since I hike Colorado's RMNP every year. Colorado and Texas have reciprocity, but only Texas lets you carry without a license now. I'll just keep it since I don't want to encounter a mama bear who takes a shine to me as a potential threat to the little ones. Out in the wilds I make racket with my walking stick up against trees so they don't get surprised and have plenty of time to get away.

My pal up in Alaska would tell you your 9mm isn't going to stop a bear. First time up North, I brought along my .357 python for just that reason. Bernie just laughed at me...  Said, "you're only going to piss the bear off".  Alaska way, if you want to have any hope of stopping a bear, folks up there carry a .44 magnum for a sidearm.  :) 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

My pal up in Alaska would tell you your 9mm isn't going to stop a bear. First time up North, I brought along my .357 python for just that reason. Bernie just laughed at me...  Said, "you're only going to piss the bear off".  Alaska way, if you want to have any hope of stopping a bear, folks up there carry a .44 magnum for a sidearm.  :) 

I don't know the numbers but it would be my guest that maybe one in 10,000 people who own a 9 mm or a 44 Magnum or a 357 Magnum or an AR-15 have ever even seen a bear and among that small number maybe 01% have ever had reason to be threatened by said bear. Just a guess.

🐻

WSS 

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I don't know the numbers but it would be my guest that maybe one in 10,000 people who own a 9 mm or a 44 Magnum or a 357 Magnum or an AR-15 have ever even seen a bear and among that small number maybe 01% have ever had reason to be threatened by said bear. Just a guess.

🐻

WSS 

I've seen 'em but never been threatened by one. But that's why I make noise on hikes. The most dangerous bear is a mama with cubs when she feels like she needs to protect from humans who managed to get right on 'em because they used no warning system to give the bears plenty of opportunity to get very clear of potential human danger to the cubs. But I still carry it with Corbin +P deep penetrating rounds that actually can kill a bear if you have no choice but to use it right up close. Of course I'd prefer not to harm any at all. I carry along a bear horn too to scare 'em away as a first option.

On 7/11/2022 at 4:17 PM, Neo said:

Here we go again with the AR-15. It is a weapon platform designed specifically to be carried by the United States military. The rights were sold to Colt which started marketing them to civilians and law enforcement. It is and always will be an assault rifle. Changing the select fire feature doesn't make it any less deadly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite_AR-15

Here we go again having to explain what an assault rifle is. The current version of the AR-15 is not an assault rifle.

The original ArmaLite AR-15 is unique among all rifles using the "AR-15" trademark, in that it is capable of selective fire and is an assault rifle. All other AR-15 style rifles are semi-automatic-only and descend from the civilian version, the Colt AR-15.

The “AR” in “AR-15” rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. “AR” does NOT stand for “assault rifle” or “automatic rifle.” AR-15-style rifles are NOT “assault weapons” or “assault rifles.” An assault rifle is fully automatic, a machine gun.

• Upvote 1

On 7/11/2022 at 4:17 PM, Neo said:

Here we go again with the AR-15. It is a weapon platform designed specifically to be carried by the United States military. The rights were sold to Colt which started marketing them to civilians and law enforcement. It is and always will be an assault rifle. Changing the select fire feature doesn't make it any less deadly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite_AR-15

Here we go again having to explain what an assault rifle is. The current version of the AR-15 is not an assault rifle.

The original ArmaLite AR-15 is unique among all rifles using the "AR-15" trademark, in that it is capable of selective fire and is an assault rifle. All other AR-15 style rifles are semi-automatic-only and descend from the civilian version, the Colt AR-15.

The “AR” in “AR-15” rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. “AR” does NOT stand for “assault rifle” or “automatic rifle.” AR-15-style rifles are NOT “assault weapons” or “assault rifles.” An assault rifle is fully automatic, a machine gun.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FY56 said:

Potato  Patahto. It's just semantics. I can tell you first hand that in Infantry School in Ft. Benning they teach you fire discipline. That means that for almost all occasions in firefights you conserve ammo using the semi-auto selection on that switch, not full auto. It's far more effective and accurate in suppressing fire coming your way and allows fire teams to work in concert for fire and maneuver to close in on an enemy position. If you go full auto you can't really get the same number of rounds into the opposition where you want them to go. Same applies with a single gunman who has no opposition. It's far more deadly/accurate to shoot the an AR-15 rather than having an M-16 on full auto.

So let's dispense with the BS about one not equivalent to the other. The way you use the M-16 is exactly the same as you use the AR-15.

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Potato  Patahto. It's just semantics. I can tell you first hand that in Infantry School in Ft. Benning they teach you fire discipline. That means that for almost all occasions in firefights you conserve ammo using the semi-auto selection on that switch, not full auto. It's far more effective and accurate in suppressing fire coming your way and allows fire teams to work in concert for fire and maneuver to close in on an enemy position. If you go full auto you can't really get the same number of rounds into the opposition where you want them to go. Same applies with a single gunman who has no opposition. It's far more deadly/accurate to shoot the an AR-15 rather than having an M-16 on full auto.

So let's dispense with the BS about one not equivalent to the other. The way you use the M-16 is exactly the same as you use the AR-15.

And the way you use a .22 or a handgun, or a baseball bat.  I can assault you with those as well.

The term "assault weapon" became widely used starting the late 1980s. Many attribute its popularization to a 1988 paper written by gun-control activist and Violence Policy Center founder Josh Sugarmann and the later reaction to a mass shooting at a Stockton, Calif., school in January 1989

I'm not sure now that even a fully automatic weapon is or was ever officially designated as an "assault weapon".

My son-in-law was a captain in the in the infantry at Ft. Benning. I will ask him if the Army uses that term.

Looking back, I think we are arguing two different aspects of the same topic? You're taking about how these weapons are used which designates them as assault weapons presuming that "assault" is a valid term. I'm arguing that there is no such thing as an "assault" weapon.

Maybe Cal can straighten things out. I highly respect his knowledge of guns.

for that matter, knives are used the same way in the military in battle. My friend who was in Special Forces back in the day told me that. Knives cut.

Woodpecker is afraid to say if he owns a knife or not. That is really chickenly, even for a woodpecker. (lol new word again)

so, ALL semi-auto rifles and pistols are now "assault weapons" ?

After watching "Von Ryan's Express" (again) - wire can be an "assualt weapon", too.

"Wire is so easy to buy. Knives are for sale so many places."

I suppose a BB gun is an "assault weapon", too.

and slingshots.

and those pumpkin launchers - catapults? assault weapons, eh?

semi-auto squirt guns.

and cars. bows and arrow. trees? fire. pencils. rutabagas. rocks.

watched a western - so, ropes are an "assault weapon".

Petrified wood. (broken woodpecker beaks). Viruses. Poisons.

egad. them "assault weapons" are everything.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FY56 said:

And the way you use a .22 or a handgun, or a baseball bat.  I can assault you with those as well.

The term "assault weapon" became widely used starting the late 1980s. Many attribute its popularization to a 1988 paper written by gun-control activist and Violence Policy Center founder Josh Sugarmann and the later reaction to a mass shooting at a Stockton, Calif., school in January 1989

I'm not sure now that even a fully automatic weapon is or was ever officially designated as an "assault weapon".

My son-in-law was a captain in the in the infantry at Ft. Benning. I will ask him if the Army uses that term.

Looking back, I think we are arguing two different aspects of the same topic? You're taking about how these weapons are used which designates them as assault weapons presuming that "assault" is a valid term. I'm arguing that there is no such thing as an "assault" weapon.

Maybe Cal can straighten things out. I highly respect his knowledge of guns.

Well if you notice I did not used the term "assault". All I did was define the use of the civilian version of the M-16 as equal to the way it is taught in Infantry School with a military M-16. I doubt seriously if the concepts of effective fire and conservation of ammo have changed much since I went through that school in 1969 and then later applied it correctly in Vietnam. And for the record I never had to employ an "assault" knife or even a South American blowgun. I did once use some tracers at night to shoot at whatever tripped a tripflare. Turned out to be a cat as we found the tracks the next morning in the wire. I'm almost positive it was an assault cat though.😾

and assault words. Like "white supremacist". and "right wing insurrectionists". "republican russian collusion". "pay their "fair share". "civilian security force as well armed and equipped as our military"........... "parents who disagree will be investigated and arrested for not being "woke".........."identify as..."..."37 genders".....

etc.

Assault words and phrases mass murders legit conversations, by golly.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

and assault words. Like "white supremacist". and "right wing insurrectionists". "republican russian collusion". "pay their "fair share". "civilian security force as well armed and equipped as our military"........... "parents who disagree will be investigated and arrested for not being "woke".........."identify as..."..."37 genders".....

etc.

Assault words and phrases mass murders legit conversations, by golly.

So your going to stop assaulting Woody all the time now? How nice of you to do that. But didn't we already have a kinder, gentler thread on here once?😂

On 8/3/2022 at 11:06 PM, FY56 said:

Yeah even though I posted a link to wiki explaining what an AR-15 is and what AR stand for, it even says it right in the link, but thanks for the brilliant insight.🙄

1 hour ago, Neo said:

To be honest, you sound like one the other right wing Trumper retards that posts in here but with a different screen name. Which is why I don't post much here.

you miss the point. calling someone else a retard is stupid.

The AR-15 is very cool - because it is customizable. A lot of guns are semi-auto.

The left wants to disarm Americans. at least, good citizen decent Real Americans.

Going after the AR-15 is only because a lot of you still think "AR" means "assault rifle"

and because of hateful politics, you won't let it go. An AR-15 is no more an assault rifle than

my .22 magnum semi-auto.

No wonder we can't can't get anything done in this country. When talking about assault weapons they aren't talking about the actual physical hitting of someone you fucking retards, they are talking about an overwhelming attack on an enemy position or a city. 

45 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

you miss the point. calling someone else a retard is stupid.

The AR-15 is very cool - because it is customizable. A lot of guns are semi-auto.

The left wants to disarm Americans. at least, good citizen decent Real Americans.

Going after the AR-15 is only because a lot of you still think "AR" means "assault rifle"

and because of hateful politics, you won't let it go. An AR-15 is no more an assault rifle than

my .22 magnum semi-auto.

Gun violence continues because we can't even make common sense gun laws because there are lots of stupid fuckers like you who can't even call an AR what it really is. It's stupid fucker like you that are standing in the way of progress.

On 8/4/2022 at 9:18 AM, calfoxwc said:

for that matter, knives are used the same way in the military in battle. My friend who was in Special Forces back in the day told me that. Knives cut.

Woodpecker is afraid to say if he owns a knife or not. That is really chickenly, even for a woodpecker. (lol new word again)

so, ALL semi-auto rifles and pistols are now "assault weapons" ?

After watching "Von Ryan's Express" (again) - wire can be an "assualt weapon", too.

"Wire is so easy to buy. Knives are for sale so many places."

I suppose a BB gun is an "assault weapon", too.

and slingshots.

and those pumpkin launchers - catapults? assault weapons, eh?

semi-auto squirt guns.

and cars. bows and arrow. trees? fire. pencils. rutabagas. rocks.

watched a western - so, ropes are an "assault weapon".

Petrified wood. (broken woodpecker beaks). Viruses. Poisons.

egad. them "assault weapons" are everything.

YOU"RE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

19 minutes ago, Neo said:

No wonder we can't can't get anything done in this country. When talking about assault weapons they aren't talking about the actual physical hitting of someone you fucking retards, they are talking about an overwhelming attack on an enemy position or a city. 

Gun violence continues because we can't even make common sense gun laws because there are lots of stupid fuckers like you who can't even call an AR what it really is. It's stupid fucker like you that are standing in the way of progress.

YOU"RE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!Kate and Laurel™ Arendahl Wall Mirror | Bed Bath & Beyond

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Neo said:

YOU"RE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

Please keep posting, we love reading your stupid ass responses kid!

• Upvote 1