THE BROWNS BOARD

HERO WITH HANDGUN Police praise armed 'good Samaritan' who neutralized gunman during deadly rampage at mall

Vambo

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

All of what cal said is true  -and-  takes training and practice, practice,  practice. 

You don't go to a gun store and become good with a gun.  Not even close. 

I agree totally with you and cal on this one.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You must not be very confident about your shooting skills. I am because I practice with it regularly and know the distances I can shoot effectively.

What the fuck does my ability to shoot have to do with engaging a target "at distance" in a mall? 🤨 It still hasn't set in it's not about how good you are, it's about making smart decisions with a gun. It worked out for this guy, good for him, I'm glad for the people he saved. I don't know what he saw, maybe he had a window of opportunity or maybe he just pointed in the guy's general direction and started squeezing. Where are we as a country that we can't even agree that somebody playing hero with a gun is really really not a good thing. It's actually quite embarrassing that we have a police force and we can't rely on them for anything.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I am because I practice with it regularly

Wow good for you, because I can't afford to go to the range regularly and practice. What do you want a medal?

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Here's the real questions for you. If you carry do you keep up your skills

1st time back at the range today in almost a year and a half maybe longer.  Hands shaking firing as fast as I can with the target as far back as it goes. 1911 Commander 45. I think I'll fuckin manage. 

20170131_152737.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You must not be very confident about your shooting skills. I am because I practice with it regularly and know the distances I can shoot effectively

Same deal same distance with my glock 43. I only bought 2 targets. I am MUCH better than this.

20170221_165000.jpg

20170205_143753.jpg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

Nah, I've spent over 20 years in the military and in combat, unlike your pussy lying ass.

"I spent 20 years in the military" blahah blah. Fucking pussy. I bet one punch would drop you like a sack of shit.

55 minutes ago, Neo said:

"I spent 20 years in the military" blahah blah. Fucking pussy. 

Pussy? I dunno about that man, I just can't image that if DH was armed that he would be hiding in a closet while people are being killed...especially if he possessed your awesome skills.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FY56 said:

Pussy? I dunno about that man, I just can't image that if DH was armed that he would be hiding in a closet while people are being killed...especially if he possessed your awesome skills.

What if I just don't care and don't want to help. I'm not a very pleasant person and I don't like people. Just look at this thread. There is nothing saying I have to help anyone. It happened in the food court, I could totally see myself just ducking out with my food while people like you get cut to pieces. 

6 minutes ago, Neo said:

What if I just don't care and don't want to help. I'm not a very pleasant person and I don't like people. Just look at this thread. There is nothing saying I have to help anyone. It happened in the food court, I could totally see myself just ducking out with my food while people like you get cut to pieces. 

troll-troll-detected.gif.8194324d98a686c55dbd45ae28b568ea.gif

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Vambo said:

troll-troll-detected.gif.8194324d98a686c55dbd45ae28b568ea.gif

You think I'm fucking kidding. 🤣 If you don't believe me on this one, why would you believe anything else I said? And why would you even bother to respond to me? This is probably the truest thing I have ever said on here. 😂

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

You think I'm fucking kidding. 🤣 If you don't believe me on this one, why would you believe anything else I said? And why would you even bother to respond to me? This is probably the truest thing I have ever said on here. 😂

troll-detected-warning.gif.c66b131b80aacddd1eaf703939060722.gif

14 hours ago, Neo said:

It's actually quite embarrassing that we have a police force and we can't rely on them for anything.

Wow good for you, because I can't afford to go to the range regularly and practice. What do you want a medal?

Which is why these yahoos pick places where you don't normally get a police response quick enough to stop massive damage. It's also why I do carry and I do go shoot regularly for only the cost of the ammo because a Vietnam Vet friend of mine has his own range in the country and he gave me the lock combination to get in if I text him in advance. He trusts me to use the range properly and go through his posted safety points one by one with anyone I take with me that I am training to shoot well every time I take them. I love to pass on the skills my father gave to me. We always have the range to ourselves which is far safer than public ranges.

10 hours ago, Neo said:

Well I give you this much............you're damn sure honest. That I always respect even if I totally disagree. I still hope you rethink it though. There is no greater feeling than bailing someone under fire out of a jam. I think DieHard would agree with me on that one too.

20 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

Neo, if there is a gunman letting loose in the same room you are, you wouldn't consider your life at risk?

Woody, you were pissed off about the response time in Uvalde. If you wait for the police response in this situation, then you are looking at a death toll in the double digits. The government cannot protect you from everything and everyone who is violent. Everyone ought to play a role in their personal safety instead of leaving it up to the people who are 15x more likely to beat their wives. Arming more people in the US is a more realistic solution than enacting what they did in Europe/Australia/NZ. You want our government to have much more severe, draconian overreach, and you're upset that people are happy that this good Samaritan saved lives. You can be both angry at the shooter and happy for the good Samaritan.

I'm not going to celebrate a punch to the gut because it wasn't a punch to the face.

I never once said my intentions were for the "the government to protect me from everything and everyone who is violent". Don't start pulling a Steve on me here. 

Yes, there are a lot of fucked up stats regarding cops. I agree.

Arming people and turning the country into the metaphorical wild west isn't a solution and that's where we differ. It's hardly a bandaid. I posted about the four ways to solve a problem. Arming everyone so that there's hopefully a competent "good guy with a gun" around when someone starts shooting so a handful of people die instead of over a dozen isn't a solution. It's goddamn pathetic that's where we're at as a country. 

I'm not "upset" people are happy with this guy. I'm disappointed, exhausted, and angry at our whole system and state of affairs regarding gun violence in this country. I'm upset the collective mindset of so many is to chalk this up as a "win". This isn't as simple as just being happy this guy did a good thing. There is a much, much bigger picture and systemic issue at play. 

I'd like the government to do something, anything, to make a dent in this problem. From mass shootings in schools to inner city gang violence. But we do nothing. One party is incompetent (or wants to milk the issue for funds) and the other party is making it worse as they collect gun lobby money. It's fucking sad. 

I'm not even talking going full Australia. Just doing anything.

And this whole "there's too many guns so why bother" attitude is so fucking defeatist. No different than the people that say we shouldn't bother to try and do anything about climate change. They're both killing, one is more obvious, but we do nothing with both (for similar reasons). 

9 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I'm not going to celebrate a punch to the gut because it wasn't a punch to the face.

I never once said my intentions were for the "the government to protect me from everything and everyone who is violent". Don't start pulling a Steve on me here. 

Arming people and turning the country into the metaphorical wild west isn't a solution and that's where we differ. It's hardly a bandaid. I posted about the four ways to solve a problem. Arming everyone so that there's hopefully a competent "good guy with a gun" around when someone starts shooting so a handful of people die instead of over a dozen isn't a solution. It's goddamn pathetic that's where we're at as a country. 

I'm not "upset" people are happy with this guy. I'm disappointed, exhausted, and angry at our whole system and state of affairs regarding gun violence in this country. I'm upset the collective mindset of so many is to chalk this up as a "win". This isn't as simple as just being happy this guy did a good thing. There is a much, much bigger picture and systemic issue at play. 

I'd like the government to do something, anything, to make a dent in this problem. From mass shootings in schools to inner city gang violence. But we do nothing. One party is incompetent (or wants to milk the issue for funds) and the other party is making it worse as they collect gun lobby money. It's fucking sad. 

And this whole "there's too many guns so why bother" attitude is so fucking defeatist. No different than the people that say we shouldn't bother to try and do anything about climate change. They're both killing, one is more obvious, but we do nothing with both (for similar reasons). 

Not sure the highlighted part will show up but you could expand. If going full Australia would whittle the problem away to almost nothing in time why wouldn't you be in favor of it? Just because you don't want to appear like the left wing zealot you wish you could be?

And nowhere is nothing being done. Most places have restrictions they just apparently don't work.

WSS

6 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

and yet, all that rant and you FEEL the issue, but you do not have any experiences in life to qualify your feelings.

"there's a problem, let's get the guns away from people" spews out of your every feeble attempt to talk intelligently on this issue.

"doing something" is stupid. Doing something that will legitimately work to solve the problem, if possible, would be good.

But, you don't care - you just want to DO ....right.

It isn't about guns. It's about mental illness, etc - and maybe also THC per scientific reports -

"legalize pot" "legalize other hard drugs", keep young people out of jail and consequences" blah blah blah.

liberals have al lthe wrong answers, and young liberals who don't know anything about much of anything vent.

just, stupid.

Throughout 2020, some argued that mass shootings in inner cities were a result of the stress and lockdowns of the coronavirus pandemic. Despite some of the reports you're seeing, 2020 was not a reprieve from mass shootings. It was a reprieve from a certain type — the kind that gets a lot of media attention.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation released crime statistics for 2018, indicating knives were more than five times as likely to be used as murder than rifles were. A fact sheet of the FBI's 2018 crime statistics published Monday detailed some of the Bureau's analysis of crime statistics, particularly studying the types of weapons used in ...

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Maybe you can throw out some suggestions about drug overdose deaths in this country too?

3EC94016-C676-484E-802D-0116C041491B.jpeg

51 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Between your comments referring to the country as "the wild west" and your comments on open carry, I think it's a fair interpretation. If you don't think that a person's safety should come down to a weapon they are carrying, then is it unfair of me to assume that you think that responsibility falls entirely to the state? Let me know where I'm misrepresenting your view. 

I posted about the four ways to solve a problem.

IIRC, red flag laws were the most realistic of the ideas you had. And you're being completely disingenuous when you say "nothing" is being done, considering both houses of congress passed a bill expanding red flag seizures last month. 

4 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Maybe you can throw out some suggestions about drug overdose deaths in this country too?

3EC94016-C676-484E-802D-0116C041491B.jpeg

like, woodpecker FEEEEEEELLLLLS that all illegals "just want a better life"....

while some of them rape, torture, murder, and traffic in fentanyl and other illegal drugs.........

oh, and they use illlegally owned guns in crimes, too.

All the incessant pecking from woodpeckersucker, and not one peck about illegals' crimes.

40 minutes ago, VaporTrail said:

Between your comments referring to the country as "the wild west" and your comments on open carry, I think it's a fair interpretation. If you don't think that a person's safety should come down to a weapon they are carrying, then is it unfair of me to assume that you think that responsibility falls entirely to the state? Let me know where I'm misrepresenting your view. 

IIRC, red flag laws were the most realistic of the ideas you had. And you're being completely disingenuous when you say "nothing" is being done, considering both houses of congress passed a bill expanding red flag seizures last month. 

I think the belief that the best (only) protection from someone with a gun is more guns is getting to a wild west scenario, yes. And I imagine most developed countries would agree with me. As a country we're just mentally conditioned to think so far one way that imagining the opposite, guns not being readily available everywhere, is inconceivable. 

Can an individual's safety not fall somewhere in the middle? I treat keeping a gun at home for self defense and carrying a gun around at all times differently. Not to mention there are means of defense that aren't guns. But, again, none of this is actually solving the issue. It's rolling over and saying there will always be way too many guns and too much fun violence so all we can do is send ourselves and keep it one step below shootouts in the streets (take that last comment however you like). 

The government is in a position to help ensure the safety of it's people. Just like how you don't test all the meat you buy for bacteria. Sure, that can be cops and other means, but again, that isn't solving the real issue. It isn't necessarily preventing gun violence, it's just (in some cases) making it less deadly when it occurs.

My four was to solve a problem were Absolution, Resolution, Solution, and Dissolution. I'm shooting for dissolution, or something close to it. 

A good guy with a gun making it so only 3 people die isn't Dissolution of the underlying problem. 

I want actions the reduce the means or motivation of someone to commit gun violence. Not giving up and saying that is impossible so we should just arm everyone, only (hopefully) reducing the violence once it has already started. 

Again, this whole conversation is really baffling to me (not necessarily you but in general). How we can be the only developed country with this problem and then still have people in this country not wanting to improve it. 

The bill that passed was symbolic and damn near nothing. And even that was fought by the NRA and most conservative members of Congress. A drop in the bucket for school mental health programs and expanded background checks on those under 21 is, by definition, not nothing, but it is barely something. It's just enough to say something was done but too little to make an impact allowing for conservatives to say it didn't work and we shouldn't do any more once the next mass shooting happens 

I think the belief that the best (only) protection from someone with a gun is more guns is getting to a wild west scenario, yes. And I imagine most developed countries would agree with me. As a country we're just mentally conditioned to think so far one way that imagining the opposite, guns not being readily available everywhere, is inconceivable. 

Can an individual's safety not fall somewhere in the middle? I treat keeping a gun at home for self defense and carrying a gun around at all times differently. Not to mention there are means of defense that aren't guns. But, again, none of this is actually solving the issue. It's rolling over and saying there will always be way too many guns and too much fun violence so all we can do is send ourselves and keep it one step below shootouts in the streets (take that last comment however you like). 

The government is in a position to help ensure the safety of it's people. Just like how you don't test all the meat you buy for bacteria. Sure, that can be cops and other means, but again, that isn't solving the real issue. It isn't necessarily preventing gun violence, it's just (in some cases) making it less deadly when it occurs.

My four was to solve a problem were Absolution, Resolution, Solution, and Dissolution. I'm shooting for dissolution, or something close to it. 

A good guy with a gun making it so only 3 people die isn't Dissolution of the underlying problem. 

I want actions the reduce the means or motivation of someone to commit gun violence. Not giving up and saying that is impossible so we should just arm everyone, only (hopefully) reducing the violence once it has already started. 

Again, this whole conversation is really baffling to me (not necessarily you but in general). How we can be the only developed country with this problem and then still have people in this country not wanting to improve it. 

The bill that passed was symbolic and damn near nothing. And even that was fought by the NRA and most conservative members of Congress. A drop in the bucket for school mental health programs and expanded background checks on those under 21 is, by definition, not nothing, but it is barely something. It's just enough to say something was done but too little to make an impact allowing for conservatives to say it didn't work and we shouldn't do any more once the next mass shooting happens 

Go live in one of them...problem solved!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Why is nobody mentioning the use of ARMED SECURITY GUARDS? If police response time is an issue why rely on some random citizen and not someone who is required to train and qualify every so often?