THE BROWNS BOARD

What a Terrible Start for the ACC

dencyguy

ACC teams played three games against opponents from BCS conferences this week: Va Tech-Bama, Wake Forest-Baylor, and Maryland-Cal. They went 0-3.

Outside of that, the conference's teams played exactly one game against a D-1A opponent; Clemson beat Middle Tennessee State.

The other games were all against 1-AA teams. The most humiliating thing? Even in those games, the conference was only 2-2, with Virginia losing to William and Mary and Duke losing to Richmond. Yeah, Richmond won the national championship last year, but still.

Dennis

Actually, it's worse than that. I forgot NC State's loss to South Carolina on Thursday. 0-4 against BCS conferences.

ACC teams played three games against opponents from BCS conferences this week: Va Tech-Bama, Wake Forest-Baylor, and Maryland-Cal. They went 0-3.

Outside of that, the conference's teams played exactly one game against a D-1A opponent; Clemson beat Middle Tennessee State.

The other games were all against 1-AA teams. The most humiliating thing? Even in those games, the conference was only 2-2, with Virginia losing to William and Mary and Duke losing to Richmond. Yeah, Richmond won the national championship last year, but still.

Dennis

Actually, it's worse than that. I forgot NC State's loss to South Carolina on Thursday. 0-4 against BCS conferences.

A friend of mine (former FB for Richmond) said that the CAA (Colonial Athletic Conference) is the SEC of 1-AA. Not sure how much I agree with that, but they had a strong outing on Saturday.

That's one of the best regular-season games I've ever seen. That Harris kid for Miami had the game of a lifetime--tremendous poise in the face of being hurt and Free Shoes's defense. Also, UM fans have been trying to bury Randy Shannon since about five minutes before he was hired, so it was nice to see his team get a win, even though they almost blew it. I can't stand either team, though, so whichever scenario ended with the losing team hurting more is fine with me.

Actually, this is still a pretty bad outcome for the ACC. They'll have a bunch of teams that will end up bowl eligible because they play each other, but only Va Tech and FSU seemed like teams that might end up being respectable in the BCS. I suppose they still can, but it seems pretty likely that they'll end up with a team in the BCS with two or three losses.

Dennis

Archived