THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Cade York #nohomo man-crush fanboy topic

Korsou Dawg

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

True, but there's some technique to do so. Damn, you just made me take a crash refresher course in high school geometry.  @ 54 yards away those 18.5' wide goal posts substend an angle of about 6.5 degrees. It doesn't take much to miss at that distance.  

FWIW, York wasn't drafted just for his accuracy in college, he also has a cannon leg. That missed field goal had 60+ yard distance. It wasn't so long ago kicks from that far out were in NFL record range. 

MHO? Kickers are getting too good. Get to the 40 and you're now in field goal range. LOL, can't move the goalposts back any farther, they may have to start shrinking them down to area ball width. :)

Larry, it is indeed amazing. I still to this day do not understand how a soccer style kick is done. 

York's leg is impressive, but he can't keep letting us down. As far as the geometry goes, it doesn't seem to bother the guy in Baltimore.

IMHO, we make too many excuses for why our guys never deliver. It's like Browns fans are all Democrats.

1 hour ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Larry, it is indeed amazing. I still to this day do not understand how a soccer style kick is done. 

As a Spaniard, I find this interesting, since it is a common technique here. 

But don't you ask me to throw a baseball or a football, I have no freaking clue :D

58 minutes ago, Nero said:

As a Spaniard, I find this interesting, since it is a common technique here. 

But don't you ask me to throw a baseball or a football, I have no freaking clue :D

When the first soccer style kickers started appearing in the NFL, most Americans thought they were sissies, weird, Homos or some combination.

I believe the first was Jan Stenarud (sp) with KC. Then the Steelers got Chris Bahr and the rest is history.

In the beginning I thought they kicked with the inside of their foot. I still really don't get it.

I also have accepted that this style leads to a longer kick.

I just hope our guy gets more accurate

12 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

In the beginning I thought they kicked with the inside of their foot. I still really don't get it.

I believe they kick with the inside part of the top of the foot, closer to the beginning of the big finger (idk its name). 

Kicking with the top of the foot means you can accompany better the movement of the ball upwards, while kicking with the inside adds accuracy, and allows you to kick with your body sideways thus using your hips full range of motion, which is the key difference. When you kick with straight hips you are using almost exclusively your leg. Football kicking lets you use not only your hip but also the back and the rest of the body to create inertia. 

I'm no expert, but I hope I could explain the phenomenon. 

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Phil Dawson went 8-12 his rookie season (1999).

Of his ten field goal attempts between 30-49 yards, he only made six. He attempted no 50+yard kicks.

this ^^

and the Bagels, higher drafted kicker Evan McPherson was far better in his 2nd season.. lets see how far/where Cade's kicks travel in the cold ☃️ 

19 hours ago, Nero said:

I believe they kick with the inside part of the top of the foot, closer to the beginning of the big finger (idk its name). 

Kicking with the top of the foot means you can accompany better the movement of the ball upwards, while kicking with the inside adds accuracy, and allows you to kick with your body sideways thus using your hips full range of motion, which is the key difference. When you kick with straight hips you are using almost exclusively your leg. Football kicking lets you use not only your hip but also the back and the rest of the body to create inertia. 

I'm no expert, but I hope I could explain the phenomenon. 

Thanks