THE BROWNS BOARD

This Week in the AFC North

Zombo

Great start for Team Z, as the Browns win straight up and we go 3-1 versus the spread. So I gave Zelda some Beach Time.

e156e3ec8c880a99f4a4e6420c71675b.jpg

This week everyone is outside of the division, so we have a full slate a of games and three way tie for first that is apt to be broken ... Let's see about that:

New York Jets at Cleveland, Sunday 1:00 PM

Joe Flacco has a lifetime record of 17-3 versus the Browns ... But that was young Joe. On the Ravens. Against really bad Browns teams. Now the Browns are good, Joe sucks and he plays for the Jets. And Mr. Garrett and Mr. Clowney would like a word with him. Gonna be ugly. BROWNS 27 JETS 6

New England at Pittsburgh, Sunday 1:00 PM

Just a few years ago this would have been the Matchup of the Week, National TV, Brady vs Big Ben! Now it is a contest between perhaps the two most boring, un-inspiring offensesin the league. But we have a couple great coaches and some good defense ... at least on Pittsburgh's side. Even without Watt, I think their defense gives them the edge. STEELERS 20 PATRIOTS 17

Baltimore at Miami, Sunday 1:00 PM

Two QBs that are lightning rods for National Media attention, with vastly different styles ... But I was more impressed with the Dolphns D last week, looking like the Killer B's of old. Another low-scoring game, homefield prevails. DOLPHINS 19 RAVENS 17

Cincinnati at Dallas, Sunday 1:00 PM

I don't know much about Cooper Rush, but he looks like Andy Dalton, so both teams should be comfortable with that. His stats are alright, and I think the demise of the Cowboys has been greatly exaggerated. The Bungles, on the other hand, spent a Billion dollars revamping their offensive line, and last week they looked like the Dollar Store version. Micah Parsons will extend that nightmare. COWBOYS 27 BUNGLES 24

TGZ

• Upvote 2

This week in the AFCN  I see kind of a mixed bag of picks.  Two favorites,  two dogs,  only one AFCN team this  week its the only one we really care about.  I'm going with NE the favorite, MIA, DAL the dogs.

And of course the Cleveland BROWNS -6  favored over the NY Jets by 8+ points.

New England ✔️   vs   @Pittsburgh 1.0 1.5 1.5 1.5 Sun 09/18 01:00 PM  

@Baltimore   vs ✔️  Miami 4.0 3.5 3.5 3.5 Sun 09/18 01:00 PM -
Cincinnati   vs ✔️             09/18 04:25 PM -
@Cleveland ♥︎ ✔️      New York (NYJ) 6.5 6.0 6.0 6.0 Sun 09/18 01:00 PM

GO BROWNS  !    Naturally. 

Speaking about naturally  what can be better than a little tackle football,  right ?

lingerie-football-league2-thumb-405x466.jpg

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

New York Jets at Cleveland, Sunday 1:00 PM

Joe Flacco has a lifetime record of 17-3 versus the Browns ... But that was young Joe. On the Ravens. Against really bad Browns teams. Now the Browns are good, Joe sucks and he plays for the Jets. And Mr. Garrett and Mr. Clowney would like a word with him. Gonna be ugly. BROWNS 27 JETS 6

Be a man, bet big money on it, man.

I don't think the Jets can stop Chubb and Hunt, Chubb is unstoppable.

Might slow him down a bit, though.

Interesting - the Jets defense is run defense strong. How the Jets pass defense holds up will be the key.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-run-defense-showed-dramatic-improvement-week-1-baltimore-ravens

Jets' Run Defense Shows Dramatic Improvement

Baltimore had just 11 rush yards at halftime as the Jets dominated up front, but ended up taking the loss.
"

Baltimore's leading rusher was running back Kenyan Drake with 31 hard-earned yards, and a lot of that didn't come until the 4th quarter.

As a team, the Ravens had 21 carries for 63 yards (3.0 avg) for the entire game. 

That's impressive, considering Baltimore had the No. 3 rushing attack in the NFL in 2021 averaging 145.8 yards per game.

How about the Ravens' leading rusher for the past three seasons?

Despite adding 18 pounds this offseason according to the television announcer, quarterback Lamar Jackson only mustered up 17 yards on 6 carries. 

Statistics are one thing, but what exactly was impressive about the Jets' run defense in the eyes of a talent evaluator? 

1. Gang tackling

It was apparent from the get-go. 

Every time the Ravens attempted to run in the first quarter, they were draped with white and green jerseys. 

There was a noticeable difference in the aggression level of the Jets' defenders. They were flocking to the ball and tackling with visible emotion. Newcomer safety Jordan Whitehead flew in on support and got noticeably fired up. I like Whitehead a lot and back in March said signing him was a 'home run,' and he did not disappoint in the opener in run support. Having that kind of an influence coming up from the safety position is infectious. 

It didn't matter who tried to run the ball for the Ravens in the first three quarters of the game, they were stuffed. 

At halftime, the Ravens had been held to 11 yards rushing. 

The big takeaway was it looked important to this unit to stop the run and that is a big change from the last year or two. 

2. The run defense looks faster 

With all the gang tackling, it was noticeable how much faster the team defense looked overall. 

Whether it was Whitehead flying in, or corners Ahmad Gardner or D.J. Reed slicing in and making a tackle, the team speed in run support looked faster. 

Ironically, all three of those players I just mentioned are new to the team. 

Reed even caused a fumble in the 3rd quarter. The Jets were down 24-3 by this point, but that didn't stop Reed who knifed in and dislodged the ball from Ravens' running back Mike Davis. The Ravens recovered, but the effort was still there despite the scoreboard, which was a great sign. 

3. C.J. Mosley and Quincy Williams

These two were flying around making stops. 

The thing that was most impressive was their outside speed to the perimeter. 

Both Mosley and Williams made big stops of Jackson when he tried to hit the edges outside running the ball. 

Mosley was the team's leading tackler (11 total, 7 solo) and Williams finished the day as the team's second-leading tackler (6 total, 6 solo). 

Being able to stuff the run up the middle is huge, but in today's game with runners who like to bounce it to the outside, having two linebackers who can cut off runners at the edges is key. 

Bottom line

I know there are no brownie points for losing the game, but if any one thing stood out to me while watching this game, it was just how much better the run defense looked going up against a decent team. Granted, Baltimore was 8-9 last season, but this was a double-digit win team the three seasons prior to that. 

Everyone knows I am hard on the Jets, and rightfully so. This is a team that has won 13 games over the past three seasons and now they are 0-1. The last thing I would ever try to do is build false hope in this loyal fanbase who knows football. 

In my eyes, that run defense against Baltimore looked like a playoff quality run defense on game film and it was confirmed by the stats. 

I must give credit where credit is due.

By Max GoodmanSep 12, 2022 10:13 PM EDT
Sep 12, 2022 10:13 PM EDT
   Interesting - Mike White threw for over 400 yards last year, vs the Bengals.

And another opinion. 

*Cleveland over New York Jets who are terrible in September...add one more..  Cleveland by at least 8 this week.

So the Jets are bad every month, but September is especially ugly. New York has dropped its last 13 September games. The Jets are 6-21-1 ATS during their last 
28 September matchups. That record and two words – Joe Flacco – take away any consideration of backing the Jets as a road ‘dog in this spot. Flacco’s teams 
have lost in 12 of his past 14 starts that includes an 0-6 mark with the Jets.

And our Cleveland Browns have an elite ground game with Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Jacoby Brissett was pressured just once against the Panthers last week. The Jets ranked 28th in run defense last season. Neither quarterback is NFL-starting caliber, but Cleveland has the edge in the trenches....that's why they win this one going away.

Add in a very promising young kicker for extra points.  Cleveland maybe 30-19 ?

13 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:
By Max GoodmanSep 12, 2022 10:13 PM EDT
Sep 12, 2022 10:13 PM EDT
   Interesting - Mike White threw for over 400 yards last year, vs the Bengals.

Reading some of those articles,  it obvious why the Jets-Jets-Jets suck, suck, suck. They've been drafting like the Browns, Browns, Browns used to. Their 2020 draft class was a disaster.  #1 pick Mehiki Becton is on IR for the year- again.  Only three guys from that draft class still on the team, and none of them are starters. 

And now back to  This Week in the AFC  North  boys and girls !  

No games between the AFCN teams this week.   Some interesting games with injuries and player movements.   A good opportunity for our BROWNS  to go 2-0  in. 2022 and   before   the Thursday Night Football prime time game versus  those Pittsburgh Steelers.    When was the last time that happened  ?

How about that !   So how are your  2022  picks looking so far ?    Good I hope.   :)

GO BROWNS,  just keep on winning

3 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/09/16/perrion-winfrey-not-at-practice-back-in-cleveland-browns-doghouse/

Anyone hear more about the Winfrey situation? With the state of our IDL, it would be a damn shame if he turns out to be a bust.

Doesn't sound like he will be playing Saturday. 

Good to see the Browns putting their foot down on this nonsense immediately. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/09/16/perrion-winfrey-not-at-practice-back-in-cleveland-browns-doghouse/

Anyone hear more about the Winfrey situation? With the state of our IDL, it would be a damn shame if he turns out to be a bust.

And hey Dawg how's the weather down your way ?

Getting ready for a hurricane party,  that's always fun.  We went through one in Hawaii.....and good for business.    mjp.

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Getting ready for a hurricane party,  that's always fun.  We went through one in Hawaii.....and good for business.    mjp.

IIRC Curacao forecast High mid upper 80s, low, mid upper 70s..; 24\7 365 days a year.  :)  They're south of the hurricane zone. 

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Like @hoortaalready pointed out, the weather is pretty much always nice here in Curaçao. One of the reasons I love living here. When it gets above 90 like it has for the past weeks, we get to complain about the heat B) 

The ABC-islands Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao are dubbed the 'islands below the wind' in Dutch, as practically all hurricanes and tropical storms pass to the north. I am told this is due to the proximity of the Venezuelan coast, against which wind builds up into a protective air-cushion of sorts. The last time a hurricane actually hit Curaçao was a freak occurrence in 1877.

Anyone else affected by any of this? @TexasAg1969maybe? When I think of hurricanes, Ohio doesn't come to mind tbh.

Bill vs.Tomlin

I like Bill, Bill 24

Mike 17

Baltiwhore has stalled contract negs with Lamar Jackson.. That hasnt stopped him yet... Tua is just to noodle armed for my liking..

"Meep" "Meep" 27

"Noodles"          6

Dak isn't the warrior JJ thought he was... Nice kid... Average QB

This won't be an easy game for Burrow , But I like the cats in this one...

Pussiecats 21

Cowchicks 14

No I do NOT trust Briquet with the football... However

"In Cade York We Trust!!.. Flacco is old!  Take the Browns!!

Browns: 31

Cesnas: 10

Browns are not yet well oiled but have too much talent for the Jets. What we lack in discipline and execution we will make up for in a few big plays.

Don't see Dallas overcoming Burrow, especially w no QB.

Ravens are aimed bag of shit. As goes Jackson so goes this game.

Steelers D is disruptive and Trubisky looked solid. Honestly, I hope Belichik gets rolled over and these teams beat this shit out of each other in an OT tie. I agree with the Steeler edge.

• Upvote 1