THE BROWNS BOARD

After 10 years former INDIANS 2B Jason Kipnis * RETIRES * from ★ MLB. How about that, 💕 dirtbag is gone.

mjp28

After 10 years former Cleveland INDIANS 2B  Jason Kipnis  * RETIRES *   from the MLB.   

Jason Kipnis, former Cubs 2B, announces retirement originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago  ...... *  how about that,  dirtbag is gone !   For real now,  he did alright.   Starting in Cleveland and finishing up in Chicago.  💕

Jason Kipnis is calling it a career. The former Cubs second baseman and Northbrook native announced on Twitter on Monday that he is retiring.

“I’d be lying if I said I wanted to write this,” Kipnis wrote. “To have to officially acknowledge that my time as a player in the game of baseball is over. I always heard you rarely get to end your career on your own terms. They weren’t lying.

“Breaking my hamate bone on my last swing with Cleveland meant no fun hat tip before leaving. Got to go home and wear the Cubbie blue and return to Cle as a visitor; pandemic, empty stadiums, no closure. Instead, it ended the way my professional career started, riding buses in the minor leagues. And then the lockout happened, and before I knew it, it was over. My mind and body just aren’t up for the commitment anymore. Frustrating at first, but there's only one feeling I’m left with that stands out above all…. Gratitude.”

Kipnis spent the majority of his career in Cleveland, and was often one of the team’s most consistent hitters during their stretch of A.L. Central titles and postseason appearances in the mid-2010s. Kipnis was also a big contributor in the 2016 World Series for Cleveland, even though the Cubs eventually won in seven games. Across the series, Kipnis hit .290/.313/.581 with two home runs, four RBI and six runs scored.

Kipnis managed to have success over his 10 year career by blending the ability to hit for average and power while staying disciplined at the plate and swiping a handful of bags every year. He was a plus defender, too, and carried a career .984 fielding percentage.

Kipnis played only one year with the Cubs in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season. In 44 games he slashed .237/.341/.404 with three homers, 16 RBI and 13 runs scored. That was Kipnis’ last season at the major league level. He spent 2021 with the Braves’ Triple-A team, and did not play professional baseball in 2022. Kipnis was a two-time All-Star, in 2013 and 2015.

Edited by mjp28
.... dirtbag is really gone.

• mjp28 changed the title to After 10 years former Cleveland INDIANS 2B Jason Kipnis * RETIRES * from the MLB.
  • mjp28 pinned this topic

Is it just me or did it seem that Jason Kipnis'  10 years just seem like it went by way too quickly  ?   

And he only played for 1 year in Chicago.    Hmmmm. 

Enjoy your retirement Kip.    :D

Jason did okay in his 9 years with Cleveland and one with Chicago  :

SEASONS TEAM   SALARY SIGNING BONUS INCENTIVE TOTAL CASH
10 seasons Player Cash Earnings   $52,905,500 $1,575,000 - $54,480,500
1 seasons Player Cash Earnings   $370,370 - - $370,370
* denotes deferred payment

I'm always thinking about the $ and cents of things and I'm pretty sure that the  "JK kid"  has put away  $5 or $10 M  for his retirement.

I'm much more aware of the somewhat  lucrative NFL pensions  but   I've looked around what JK should be eligible for here's some thoughts.   For  any  professional athlete actually hit a 10+ year pension it is a big deal. 

Question :  How much is a 10 year MLB pension?

Like all baseball facts and statistics, the $90,000 maximum pension does need to be put into perspective. For a player to receive this sum at retirement, he must have had active service during or after the 1970 season, have had ten years of playing time, and wait to draw his pension at age 62.   To me that's peanuts compared to a like NFL 10 year pension. 

But it isn't bad compared to an average working stiff out there.  Also I did not check out any medical benefits.   Plus also getting a Social Security pension,  PERS or any other benefits. 

I'm sure Jason and his family should do just fine.      :)

And a more in the murky waters of the MLB pensions here's a little more.

Mlb (MLB ?) Players Pension Plan

The Major League Baseball Players Association is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. It is headquartered in New York City. The Major League Baseball Players Association was formed in 1954 and is the oldest professional sports union in the United States. The association was formed to protect the rights of professional baseball players, to negotiate the terms of their employment, and to ensure that they are treated fairly by their teams and by the league. The Major League Baseball Players Association is a voluntary association, and all players are free to choose whether or not to join. The Major League Baseball Players Association is the only professional sports union in the United States that does not have a pension plan for its members. Instead, the union has a retirement plan, which is a defined contribution plan that is funded by the players themselves, through their salaries. The retirement plan is not a pension plan, and it does not provide a guaranteed income in retirement. The retirement plan is designed to provide a supplement to the players’ Major League Baseball pensions, which are the primary source of income for retired players.

On 2/21/2023 at 9:47 PM, mjp28 said:

Is it just me or did it seem that Jason Kipnis'  10 years just seem like it went by way too quickly  ?   

And he only played for 1 year in Chicago.    Hmmmm. 

Enjoy your retirement Kip.    :D

I was somewhat shocked to hear he played in Cleveland that long. 

Time flies. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/26/2023 at 2:15 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I was somewhat shocked to hear he played in Cleveland that long. 

Time flies. 

IT SURE DOES !     :o

Every once in awhile I go back and look at and clean up and out old posts and etcetera and run across a thread like this.   I wonder what Kip is uo to ?  Fishing on Lake Michigan  ?      Still in baseball  ?    Hmmmmm.    I do enjoy retirement tonight cheeseburgers on the grill, watching the Guardians exciting  huh.    😉

On 2/23/2023 at 9:40 PM, mjp28 said:

I'm always thinking about the $ and cents of things and I'm pretty sure that the  "JK kid"  has put away  $5 or $10 M  for his retirement.

I'm much more aware of the somewhat  lucrative NFL pensions  but   I've looked around what JK should be eligible for here's some thoughts.   For  any  professional athlete actually hit a 10+ year pension it is a big deal. 

Question :  How much is a 10 year MLB pension?

Like all baseball facts and statistics, the $90,000 maximum pension does need to be put into perspective. For a player to receive this sum at retirement, he must have had active service during or after the 1970 season, have had ten years of playing time, and wait to draw his pension at age 62.   To me that's peanuts compared to a like NFL 10 year pension. 

But it isn't bad compared to an average working stiff out there.  Also I did not check out any medical benefits.   Plus also getting a Social Security pension,  PERS or any other benefits. 

I'm sure Jason and his family should do just fine.      :)

Hard to say.  It depends on the person and the type of counsel he received from his agent.

In round number, after taxes you are working with 37 mil...not a small sum.  One would hope that financial planning was a part of the package.

On 7/13/2023 at 6:44 AM, ballpeen said:

Hard to say.  It depends on the person and the type of counsel he received from his agent.

In round number, after taxes you are working with 37 mil...not a small sum.  One would hope that financial planning was a part of the package.

True. 

I don't think JK will be selling pencils outside of  GATE C  that is for sure.     :lol:

• 1 month later...

Kipnis is filling in for Hamilton on radio this weekend til Labor day, 

when Hamilton will be back for the call against the Twins.

Much better to have him (dirt bag) in the booth for his take on players and pitch strategies

than when Rosenhaus was solo for the Twins a few days earlier...

I think theres a future in it for him.

• mjp28 changed the title to After 10 years former INDIANS 2B Jason Kipnis * RETIRES * from ★ MLB. How about that, dirtbag is gone.

I occasionally go back and read some threads,  this one caught my attention again.

Ol' dirtbag actually retired at that magic 10 year number.   Good for him, I always likened Kipnis to our  "Charlie Hustle" always digging it out and definitely getting dirty.

.....  Kipnis has been nicknamed "Dirtbag", since he is prone to getting his uniform dirty during the course of a game. Former Indians manager Manny Acta affectionately used the term when speaking about Kipnis in public.......

If you go back and look Kip always put up some good numbers for the Cleveland INDIANS. 

Enjoy your retirement Kip,  you earned it  !

Dirtbag pic,  below.

Jason_Kipnis_2017.jpg

Kipnis has an interesting BIO this also caught my eye on him prior to making the bigs.

He joined the AAA Columbus Clippers for their playoffs. Kipnis batted .455 in five games, and hit for the cycle on September 17 in the Clippers’ victory that clinched the International League title.  His big game was voted second in the 2010 Fans Choice "Best Game" Minor League Baseball Yearly Awards.   Veteran catcher Luke Carlin said:

They bring up Kipnis from Akron, and we look at this little guy and say, 'Where did he come from, and what is he doing here?' We were teasing him, and all he does is go out and hit about a million. I mean, here's this little infielder and they put him in the fifth spot ... What's that about? He goes out and hits for the cycle.[4]

For 2010, Kipnis led the Indians minor league system in hits (159) and runs (96). He finished tied for third in triples (8), fourth in doubles (32), and tied for fifth in both home runs (16) and RBIs (74). He batted a combined .313.  He was named the Indians' 2010 Minor League Player of the Year (the "Lou Boudreau Award"), and was named a 2010 Baseball America Minor League All-Star.

..... and later the Cleveland best prospect in their system.....   He didn't disappoint. 

• mjp28 changed the title to After 10 years former INDIANS 2B Jason Kipnis * RETIRES * from ★ MLB. How about that, 💕 dirtbag is gone.