THE BROWNS BOARD

john johnson

syd

Today, on the first day of the NFL combine, came the report that the team would be moving on from S John Johnson III. Johnson’s time with the Browns started with a lot of excitement but he failed to produce as he had with the Los Angeles Rams. With Woods on his way out, Schwartz’s defense may be looking for a true free safety.

• Sad 1

According to Mary Kay Cabot, that free safety that they are looking at is Cincinnati Bengals FS Jessie Bates III:

Bengals safety Jessie Bates III is on their radar to replace him if he hits the market.

Bates played on the franchise tag last year for the Bengals and had another very good season. He is also represented by David Mulugheta, the agent for QB Deshaun Watson.

For Pro Football Focus, Bates is the fourth-best free agent on the market. They project him to sign a five-year deal worth a total of $75 million with $40 million guaranteed.

The safety market is full of talented players this year which could flood the market and keep prices down. Normally, that isn’t true at the top of the free agent market. If GM Andrew Berry doesn’t want to spend to that extent, Jordan Poyer, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and Juan Thornhill could be options as well, although Poyer isn’t a true free safety.

6 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

We thought he would be good. The guy never seemed hungry out there.

Cap clearance of around $9.75 million, that's good

ya i was pretty happy with his signing and I forgot his name who came along with him from the rams only to be released a year later

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, syd said:

ya i was pretty happy with his signing and I forgot his name who came along with him from the rams only to be released a year later

Troy Hill.. Hes a Clevelander...

• Upvote 1

Aside from the beaten dead horse that is our DT position, I am glad the Front Office acknowledges an issue that was called out often this year and perhaps just as glaring this past season.  Whether he was miscast, got paid and got lazy, or just not as good lately as we all thought he could be- he’s gone. 

We got a Mike problem too. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, syd said:

kenny golladay was just let go and while his numbers sucked in N.Y he had some good years in Detroit any takers ? maybe on a prove it deal ?

I put this here because i didn't believe it justifies it's own thread

Marcus Johnson and David Sills started over Golladay.  And I think he had 25% drop rate this past season.  

I mentioned the Giants struggles at WR this year- he was at the epicenter. 

Parris Campbell would be interesting if he didn’t play himself last season out of our stratosphere.  

7 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Marcus Johnson and David Sills started over Golladay.  And I think he had 25% drop rate this past season.  

I mentioned the Giants struggles at WR this year- he was at the epicenter. 

the giants also had problems on there o-line which lead to problems on their passing game  and i am not sure that danny dimes is a good Q.B

10 hours ago, syd said:

the giants also had problems on there o-line which lead to problems on their passing game  and i am not sure that danny dimes is a good Q.B

Danny placed the ball this year in tight windows, held onto it (he’s a fumbler) and he had has elite awareness in understanding tuck and run.  There aren’t many other viable options and they can certainly work with his skill set.   He needs a big time WR and he needs Evan Neal to figure things out 

I’m just a casual fan, but an avid Giant watcher. Evan Neal struggled, Thomas had a good year except for Dallas games where he was owned by Parsons.  I thought Feliciano and Bredeson were directly responsible for some of the pass/run balance they were able to accomplish. 

Let’s look at their WR….David Sills - great preseason last year unspectacular when the bright lights came on. I pointed out Marcus Johnson he’s JAG with some wheels.  I personally like Slayton he wins one on ones - he drops passes too. Golladay was an absolute non factor.  Isiah Hodgens played well but him along with the rest of this group do any of these guys inspire any fear in an opposing secondary.  I will mention they block downfield better than most units you see some sustained blocks on those Saquon big hitters.  Not to argue here but I’d certainly pass on Golladay- who doesn’t seem like a great team guy too judging from Twitter and social media comments. 

Daniel Bellinger TE was a huge loss for this team - his loss put more pressure on this pedestrian WR group