THE BROWNS BOARD

Happy Juneteenth. Celebrating the end of slavery in the United States

cccjwh

9c272a82ee3fbd76560533ae3f238343.jpg.48b4aa7e19895dfd02efd7df5b698c6d.jpg

Now, the Fort Johnson base is honored for Sgt. William Henry Johnson, an African American World War I Medal of Honor recipient who served in the all-Black 369th U.S Infantry Regiment.

“Sgt. William Henry Johnson embodied the warrior spirit, and we are deeply honored to bear his name at the Home of Heroes,” said Brig. Gen. David W. Gardner, commanding general of the Joint Readiness Training Center and Fort Polk, in the press release.

The North Carolina native served one tour of duty on the western edge of the Argonne Forest in France’s Champagne region from 1918-1919, and became one of the first Americans to be awarded France's highest award for valor, the French Croix de Guerre avec Palme.

According to the U.S. Department of Defense, former President Theodore Roosevelt called Johnson one of the five bravest Americans to serve in World War I.

After his death in July 1929, Johnson was awarded the Purple Heart in 1996, the Distinguished Service Cross in 2003, and most recently, the Medal of Honor in 2015.

Louisiana's Fort Polk renamed after African American WWI soldier - ABC News (go.com)

Juneteenth is a holiday I can't relate to personally - I'm not black. But the history is very, very real.

It is inevitable that that holiday is used like a dishonest political lever to try to keep the black community

voting for the dems, who have failed to deliver much of anything of all their fake promises.

And reparations? how about from the blacks in Africa who forced them into slavery, transporting them to America in the first place?

But it is a true event  - a great one - the freeing of slaves. Slavery was such a disgrace.

Back in the Air Force - in Biloxi - we were a whole bunch of guys who got along great. A few years back, I look at the pictures of me with different friends - I don't remember their names. But there were guys who had slavery in the history of their family way back in the day.  So many stories and backgrounds of those guys, I do remember. We were from everywhere. The Bayou, west coast and east coast beaches, big cities, western plains, and so many little towns in between.

We had a master sergeant who took over our squadron when our excellent commander went on emergency family leave. The msgt hated black guys, he hated Christian guys, he hated God, he hated other minorities. And he really hated us going to AF chapel sponsored church retreats.

Some of those guys came from very poor neighborhoods. They wanted a better life, a chance to go to college...all the dreams they dreamed were being crushed by intimidating fake write ups again and again. One night, with our red rope (student appointed in charge guy) was back in Florida on a weekend - about a dozen guys came to my room because our red rope and I were close friends - and were really po'd. They wanted me to write up a petition against the garbage that that msgt was screwing them over with. I had to tell them they don't want to even think about it yet because according to the UCMJ - you have to have permission to do a petition. They were really angry but some of them said that was right. They thanked me for letting them know. I said I would talk to our red rope and he and I might go talk to a chaplain when he got back.

What sickness is it - to hate someone for the color of their skin that is different from the haters' ???

That msgt was out of our squadron a few weekends later. I don't want to tell the story about how that happened. He was transferred to a WAF squadron, where just one back word, one mistake around those ladies - he would be out of the service with no benefits.

So celebrating Juneteenth is a good thing - a great thing when it isn't abused for political benefit, or even financial benefit.

I hope and pray all their dreams came true.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/20/1105945119/four-enduring-myths-about-juneteenth-are-not-based-on-facts

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Juneteenth is a holiday I can't relate to personally - I'm not black. But the history is very, very real.

It is inevitable that that holiday is used like a dishonest political lever to try to keep the black community

voting for the dems, who have failed to deliver much of anything of all their fake promises.

And reparations? how about from the blacks in Africa who forced them into slavery, transporting them to America in the first place?

But it is a true event  - a great one - the freeing of slaves. Slavery was such a disgrace.

Back in the Air Force - in Biloxi - we were a whole bunch of guys who got along great. A few years back, I look at the pictures of me with different friends - I don't remember their names. But there were guys who had slavery in the history of their family way back in the day.  So many stories and backgrounds of those guys, I do remember. We were from everywhere. The Bayou, west coast and east coast beaches, big cities, western plains, and so many little towns in between.

We had a master sergeant who took over our squadron when our excellent commander went on emergency family leave. The msgt hated black guys, he hated Christian guys, he hated God, he hated other minorities. And he really hated us going to AF chapel sponsored church retreats.

Some of those guys came from very poor neighborhoods. They wanted a better life, a chance to go to college...all the dreams they dreamed were being crushed by intimidating fake write ups again and again. One night, with our red rope (student appointed in charge guy) was back in Florida on a weekend - about a dozen guys came to my room because our red rope and I were close friends - and were really po'd. They wanted me to write up a petition against the garbage that that msgt was screwing them over with. I had to tell them they don't want to even think about it yet because according to the UCMJ - you have to have permission to do a petition. They were really angry but some of them said that was right. They thanked me for letting them know. I said I would talk to our red rope and he and I might go talk to a chaplain when he got back.

What sickness is it - to hate someone for the color of their skin that is different from the haters' ???

That msgt was out of our squadron a few weekends later. I don't want to tell the story about how that happened. He was transferred to a WAF squadron, where just one back word, one mistake around those ladies - he would be out of the service with no benefits.

So celebrating Juneteenth is a good thing - a great thing when it isn't abused for political benefit, or even financial benefit.

I hope and pray all their dreams came true.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/20/1105945119/four-enduring-myths-about-juneteenth-are-not-based-on-facts

You can't relate to celebrating the end of slavery in the US?

Can you relate to celebrating the end of WWI? (Armistice Day renamed to Veterans Day)

Can you relate to celebrating the end of WWII? (VE Day) 

Celebrating the end of bad things isn't something new.

I just can’t take anymore of this crap this despicable government , who by the way are suppose to be following the Constitution of the United States of America , wanting to change and make up holidays for certain groups of people and leaving out others JUST because the color of their skin ! I thought and I hoped that we were trying to get past all the bad things that happen many many years ago and become ONE Nation of all no matter what religion , sex and sexual preference , color of skin , culture , traditions , heritage , and any other things that defines an individual . No one living today had or has anything to do with the bad outrageous things that happened during the creation of our Nation. My question is why do certain people want to keep doing things to keep the past things alive  . This is not good for anyone.

?

2 hours ago, cccjwh said:

You can't relate to celebrating the end of slavery in the US?

Can you relate to celebrating the end of WWI? (Armistice Day renamed to Veterans Day)

Can you relate to celebrating the end of WWII? (VE Day) 

Celebrating the end of bad things isn't something new.

Can you relate to none of those celebrations ending up in Veterans shooting each other?

Happy Juneteenth there Cheetos!

The New York Times

12 hours ago, FY56 said:

So, a regular day in our country.

A couple more pandering to 13% of the population ideas.

We now have introduced the Black Nation Anthem. So why not counter "America the Beautiful", with "Black America the Beautiful.".

Then we can always have . "Pandering to 13% Of the Population Day"

In keeping all you woke white guilt liberals up to date:

All Black and African American Holidays and Observances

January

Last Day of Kwanzaa - January 1 

Learn about what Kwanzaa means for Black Americans

Anniversary of Emancipation Proclamation - January 1

Haitian Independence Day - January 1 

George Washington Carver Day - January 5

Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday - January 15 

Read the best quotes (beyond ‘I have a dream’) from Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day - 3rd Monday of January

Learn about how to meaningfully celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Civil Rights Day - 3rd Monday of January

Learn about and watch the 50 most essential civil rights speeches in American history

February

Black History Month - February

Learn about how to intentionally celebrate Black History Month with these ideas and activities

Rosa Parks’ Birthday - February 4 

National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day - February 7 

Read good news about progress in the fight against HIV/AIDS

Black Love Day - February 13 

Frederick Douglass Day - February 14

W. E. B. Du Bois Day - February 23

March

Crispus Attucks Day / Boston Massacre Day - March 5

Harriet Tubman Day - March 10

Anniversary of the first Black Newspaper in America - March 16

International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination - March 21

Read Good Good Good’s collection of racial justice articles and good news stories

April

National Minority Health Month - April

Black Maternal Health Week - April 11 - April 17

Pan-African Week - Last week of April

Jackie Robinson Day - April 15

Emancipation Day - April 16

May

African Liberation Week - Week-long event in May

John Lewis Day of Action - May 8 

Anniversary of the School Desegregation Ruling - May 17

Malcolm X’s Birthday - May 19 

Read the best quotes about justice from Malcolm X

Malcolm X Day - 3rd Friday of May

Africa Day - May 25 

June

African American Music Appreciation Month - June

National Black Family Cancer Awareness Week - Week-long event in June

Loving Day - June 12 

African New Year / Odunde Festival - 2nd Sunday of June

Juneteenth - June 19

Learn about how to thoughtfully celebrate Juneteenth

July

BIPOC Mental Health Month - July

Explore our guide to mental health resources and our guide to mental health apps and resources for Black Americans

African Women’s Liberation Week - July 16 - July 27

Nelson Mandela Day - July 18

Read the best quotes from Nelson Mandela

Maafa Commemoration - July 19

Buffalo Soldiers Day - July 28

August

Marcus Garvey Day - August 17

Emmett Till Day - August 28 

Learn about how to protect Emmett Till’s memorials and read this essay from his cousin

September

Enkutatash / Ethiopian New Year - September 11 or September 12 

School Desegregation in Little Rock, AR - September 25

October

Black History Month in the United Kingdom - October

Jerry Rescue Day - October 1

Anniversary of Thurgood Marshall being sworn into the Supreme Court - October 2

Black Entrepreneurs Day - October 14

Explore our guide to finding Black-owned businesses to support

Black Poetry Day - October 17

Explore our collections of quotes and poems from Maya Angelou and Amanda Gorman

November

Umoja Karamu Celebration - 4th Sunday of November

December

Anniversary of Rosa Parks’ Arrest - December 1

International Day for the Abolition of Slavery - December 2

Karamu Ya Imani (Feast of Faith) - December 31 

Kwanzaa - December 26 - January 1 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, FY56 said:

Being a white liberal champion for black people and you don't care?

I vote for reasonable gun control. I can't make people be less stupid. See this thread, where people are upset we are celebrating the end of slavery in the US. I mean wtf is wrong with you nut jobs?

23 minutes ago, cccjwh said:

I vote for reasonable gun control. I can't make people be less stupid. See this thread, where people are upset we are celebrating the end of slavery in the US. I mean wtf is wrong with you nut jobs?

Thats it?  Only reasonable gun control? ... obviously not in compliance with the woke nutjobs you side with. 

You're a racist.

Calling black people stupid too.

46 minutes ago, FY56 said:

Thats it?  Only reasonable gun control? ... obviously not in compliance with the woke nutjobs you side with. 

You're a racist.

Calling black people stupid too.

Wow, you have really lost it. 

Have you figured out why celebrating the ending slavery upsets you so much?

Mississippi Closed Offices For Confederate Day, Not Juneteenth (mississippifreepress.org)

State offices remained open in Mississippi during the Juneteenth federal holiday, which commemorates the emancipation of enslaved Black Americans, almost two months after officials closed state offices to celebrate the Confederate Memorial Day state holiday on April 24.

22 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Actually if anyone is triggered it's probably you. Or anybody else that wants to cause a controversy about this silly fabricated pandering holiday. Yes there was slavery around the world yes most places have stopped and no it's not an excuse for antisocial Behavior today.

WSS

All holidays are fabricated, champ

18 hours ago, Vambo said:
I just can’t take anymore of this crap this despicable government , who by the way are suppose to be following the Constitution of the United States of America , wanting to change and make up holidays for certain groups of people and leaving out others JUST because the color of their skin ! I thought and I hoped that we were trying to get past all the bad things that happen many many years ago and become ONE Nation of all no matter what religion , sex and sexual preference , color of skin , culture , traditions , heritage , and any other things that defines an individual . No one living today had or has anything to do with the bad outrageous things that happened during the creation of our Nation. My question is why do certain people want to keep doing things to keep the past things alive  . This is not good for anyone.

?

Both sides want to keep past things alive. They are just different things. 

4 hours ago, cccjwh said:

We already have reasonable gun control, if you want to call it that, but anymore gun control would become unreasonable.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cccjwh said:

Yeah, it's working great. 

Stricter gun control will do very little to  stop gun violence. The problem isn’t, so much, the gun. It’s the person holding the gun. That is the bigger problem 

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jax said:

That's not the broken part, be smarter.

Ignore the stats. It doesn't matter to me. There is no fixing it. We aren't going to close this Pandora's box. This is the new America; you can get shot for throwing popcorn or pulling into someone driveway. A GOP Utopia.