THE BROWNS BOARD

Tuberville Blocking Military Nominations

MLD Woody

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/11/1186986556/marine-corps-tuberville-nominations-abortion

The U.S. Marine Corps is operating without a Senate-confirmed commandant for the first time in over 150 years because one Republican, Sen. Tommy Tuberville, continues to block military officer nominations.

The position of Marine Corps commandant, the branch's highest-ranking officer, was vacated on Monday as Gen. David Berger retired after 42 years in the service.

Marine Corps Gen. Eric Smith, the current assistant commandant, was nominated to replace him, but is facing a Senate confirmation delay thanks to a procedural move from the Alabama senator.

Tuberville, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, has refused to confirm officer positions since the start of this year, citing his disapproval of the Pentagon's 2022 decision to support service members and their families in traveling out of state to receive an abortion.

Smith will remain in his title as assistant but will effectively take over the commandant's duties, performing both roles until he can be confirmed by the Senate, Defense Department spokesperson Sabrina Singh told reporters on Monday.

She added that Smith's confirmation is one of roughly 265 officer nominations that've been delayed by the Alabama senator.

Anti abortion over country?

45 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I mean, real easy question here. Do you support what Tuberville is doing?

No, but it's not that easy.  It depends on how committed you are as an anti-abortionist.

Me personally no. I don't agree with holding the nominee and the Marine Corps hostage for what has become a Pentagon policy.

More importantly the fact that it's only reimbursement for travel, not for the abortion itself.

His view apparently is that reimbursing for travel facilitates getting an abortion, therefore it is in fact funding an abortion.... so from the viewpoint of staunch anti- abortionists, Tuberville is a righteous man.

But if he believes that the procedure itself is being funded, then someone should get him caught up.

Tuberville opposes the policy because he believes it uses taxpayer money to fund abortions, in violation of a federal policy known as the Hyde Amendment that prohibits the use of federal funds for abortion except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is at risk. The Pentagon says it only funds travel, not the procedure itself.

• Upvote 2

On 7/11/2023 at 8:16 PM, MLD Woody said:

I mean, real easy question here. Do you support what Tuberville is doing?

Would you be posting this if he was a democrat?

Yes, I support him. If it's their policy to not pay for abortions, paying for travel is just the same. I am not fully anti abortion either.

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Hey, at least Gorka gave an answer. Even if he did all he could to save anti abortion points

Save? There is no "saving". It is what it is.

But that's what I should have anticipated... you formulating some kind of negativity even when you find the response sufficient.

30 minutes ago, Jax said:

Yes, I support him. If it's their policy to not pay for abortions, paying for travel is just the same. I am not fully anti abortion either.

Allow me to answer the question. Not a chance.

Your post made me give it more thought. Is paying for travel really the same as paying for the abortion?

I guess if you look at it as aiding and abetting, then yeah.

12 hours ago, Jax said:

So even at the expense of our military. Interesting 

2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Again you need to decide if a Biden appointee is going to be good for the military. I will assume you've been happy with them so far?

WSS

But again focusing on the long game I don't think it's a good idea in general to block Presidential appointments. That's one of the things he was elected to do regardless of how shit of the election was.

WSS 

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

Again you need to decide if a Biden appointee is going to be good for the military. I will assume you've been happy with them so far?

WSS

Apparently none of these military appointees are ever really pushed back against. Obama. Trump. Biden. Whatever. 

There aren't a bunch of Reps blocking appointees because it's a Biden appointee. It's just one guy causing waves of issues. 

4 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Apparently none of these military appointees are ever really pushed back against. Obama. Trump. Biden. Whatever. 

There aren't a bunch of Reps blocking appointees because it's a Biden appointee. It's just one guy causing waves of issues. 

Oh well. I won't bother with hypotheticals but I can imagine that the guys on the left might consider the same type of action if the shoe was on the other foot. Who knows.

But seriously; his name is Tuberville. Fucking Tuberville! But I suppose he's got a base to show off for like everybody else.

10 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Oh well. I won't bother with hypotheticals but I can imagine that the guys on the left might consider the same type of action if the shoe was on the other foot. Who knows.

But seriously; his name is Tuberville. Fucking Tuberville! But I suppose he's got a base to show off for like everybody else.

Well the difference being the right is much more "rah rah America, go Vets, go military" so you'd think they'd be more against actions that hurt the military. 

It's Tommy Tuberville. Former college football coach 

He also just made some very, very stupid comments about white nationalists and then tried to do damage control. 

18 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

There aren't a bunch of Reps blocking appointees because it's a Biden appointee.

Maybe we can ask Kavanaugh if there was any Dims giving push back on  GOP nominee? 🤔

Just now, MLD Woody said:

For these military appointments, is what I was referring to

The names and faces are interchangeable, you’re referring to a Dem or Rep appointee being stonewalled by a Dem or Rep.

Tuberville isn’t exactly setting a precedent.

19 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Well the difference being the right is much more "rah rah America, go Vets, go military" so you'd think they'd be more against actions that hurt the military. 

It's Tommy Tuberville. Former college football coach 

He also just made some very, very stupid comments about white nationalists and then tried to do damage control. 

I'll translate that for you. Well the right is for things that Woody doesn't like and the left is for things that Woody thinks are very important to society. And again pro-military has really nothing to do with Pro Joe Biden appointees.

Plus let's face it woodrow, Democrats and Republicans switch hats depending on who's in office and what the global conflict might be.

WSS 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

The names and faces are interchangeable, you’re referring to a Dem or Rep appointee being stonewalled by a Dem or Rep.

Tuberville isn’t exactly setting a precedent.

He is in this setting though. That's the point. 

There are Reps speaking out against what Tuberville is doing - https://www.politico.com/minutes/congress/05-16-2023/tuberville-pentagon-abortion-gop/

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I'll translate that for you. Well the right is for things that Woody doesn't like and the left is for things that Woody thinks are very important to society. And again pro-military has really nothing to do with Pro Joe Biden appointees.

Plus let's face it woodrow, Democrats and Republicans switch hats depending on who's in office and what the global conflict might be.

WSS 

You're missing the point. This isn't some petty political squabble over a supreme court nominee or some political role. This is for roles in the military. 

This isn't something that's been done previously. 

Conservatives are pro America and pro military so I figured they wouldn't like this. But this just helps see where they rank that compared to being anti abortion 

39 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

You're missing the point. This isn't some petty political squabble over a supreme court nominee or some political role. This is for roles in the military. 

This isn't something that's been done previously. 

Conservatives are pro America and pro military so I figured they wouldn't like this. But this just helps see where they rank that compared to being anti abortion 

You're kidding yourself on the military. And I'm not missing any point. Probably the reason conservatives aren't as worked up about this as you wish they were is that they don't think that another transgender fat guy dressed up in a army uniform is going to strengthen the US military.

And everybody in politics needs to make the decision how seriously they take their talking points about abortion.

WSS 

6 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Please explain what makes you think this hurts the military.

I'd be more concerned about CRT, pregnant uniforms, lowering standards to enter the military and the morons that botched the Afghan withdrawal - for starters.

Let me explain something further, it's not his actions causing the disturbance, it's the incompetent goofs trying to dance around regulations in technicalities. Sometimes grown ups are forced to react.

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

You're kidding yourself on the military. And I'm not missing any point. Probably the reason conservatives aren't as worked up about this as you wish they were is that they don't think that another transgender fat guy dressed up in a army uniform is going to strengthen the US military.

And everybody in politics needs to make the decision how seriously they take their talking points about abortion.

WSS 

Oh so it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about based on your second sentence. 

If that's honestly what you think is happening then the culture war brain worms have completely taken over. 

What a completely asinine thing to say. And there are republicans speaking out against his actions, btw

3 hours ago, Jax said:

Please explain what makes you think this hurts the military.

I'd be more concerned about CRT, pregnant uniforms, lowering standards to enter the military and the morons that botched the Afghan withdrawal - for starters.

Let me explain something further, it's not his actions causing the disturbance, it's the incompetent goofs trying to dance around regulations in technicalities. Sometimes grown ups are forced to react.

Of course you're more concerned about the vague, right wing made up threat of CRT. You were the target demo for that propaganda. But you need to catch up, CRT is pls culture war. It's all about being anti trans now. And make sure to say groomer a lot...

Do you see no issue with no one being officially in charge of the Marines right now? No issue with almost 300 positions in limbo and the domino effect down the chain of command. The uncertainty of where an individual and their family will be next. 

Alright