THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Sign USFL Champion Wide Receiver

Vambo

image.thumb.png.8cba9fcfbccfe17272a6c50971b8b770.png

After working out 11 players yesterday, Cleveland Browns have keyed in on signing a wide receiver. According to Brad Stainbrook of theOBR, Cleveland is signing wide receiver Austin Watkins who won a USFL Championship in 2023.

Watkins is a former UAB standout in college that recorded 1,642 receiving yards over three seasons. As a sophomore, Watkins totaled 1,092 receiving yards and six touchdowns.

Signing as an undrafted free agent in 2021, Watkins began his career with the San Francisco 49ers where he was later waived. Later that season, the 49ers brought back Watkins on the practice squad for a brief time.

While with the Birmingham Stallions, Watkins recorded 197 receiving yards and a touchdown. Watkins is a 25-year-old receiver that has a long frame at 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds.

The Browns now have 14 wide receivers on the 90-man roster with the addition of Watkins. Cleveland begins training camp in West Virginia tomorrow.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/browns-sign-usfl-champion-wide-receiver

Browns' Goodwin to miss start of camp due to blood clots in legs, lungs - ESPN

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't know much about this guy, but he's got nice size. 

Ya can't teach that can ya.  Good luck Austin!   We're pullin' for ya.

• Upvote 1

Evidently the FO, coaches  have seen some in him they like  ......  OK so do something on the field.

50 minutes ago, syd said:
4 hours ago, nickers said:

A camp body... Whooopie!

maybe not

16 hours ago, Vambo said:

Browns' Goodwin to miss start of camp due to blood clots in legs, lungs - ESPN

Yeah, I had put those two things together when I saw that they signed Watkins...but I wasn't aware at the time that Goodwin's clotting issues started back in the spring.  They may have signed him anyway....but perhaps Goodwin's condition made signing him more of a priority.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, nickers said:

I haven't found a solid link yet but word is Schwartz was cut...

o.k great but WTF doe's that have to do with Watkins ? and as far as schwartz we all already knew he already had one foot out the door and the other on a banana peal

5 minutes ago, syd said:

o.k great but WTF doe's that have to do with Watkins ? and as far as schwartz we all already knew he already had one foot out the door and the other on a banana peal

Well it's obvious they're looking for his replacement...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, syd said:

I know this against 3rd and 4th string players but that was a hell of a route, broke the guys ankles. If we can get this kind of production out of Watkins, that's already an upgrade over Schwartz. And probably saved some money too.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Neo said:

I know this against 3rd and 4th string players but that was a hell of a route, broke the guys ankles. If we can get this kind of production out of Watkins, that's already an upgrade over Schwartz. And probably saved some money too.

seems as if berry was doing his homework

I saw his TD.  Great to see!  Even though he was obviously playing against a CB that ain't gonna make the Jets' team.  I mean, he was as wide open as anyone could ever hope to be.