THE BROWNS BOARD

Burke Airport

MLD Woody

Local politics. What are your thoughts on Burke?

Seems like a giant waste of very valuable space for what it brings. Hope we can tear it down (go use the one in Medina) and utilize that space on the lake better. Attractions, tourism, community, etc. 

49 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Seems like a giant waste of very valuable space for what it brings. Hope we can tear it down (go use the one in Medina) and utilize that space on the lake better. Attractions, tourism, community, etc. 

Attractions, tourism create traffic and emissions which add to global warming...are you wanting to add more pollution woody?

Tear it down and turn it into forest land!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

They should build an Air Force Base there.

• Upvote 1

Without Burke, as Hammer posted the link to, Cleveland-Hopkins would be so busy it would be a disaster, Akron-Canton airport is extremely busy, too. Way back, that is why Burke was added in the first place.

Although, I can see the point of closing it - they could build a giant free hotel for all the illegals that will be given the vote, and will all vote as a democrat block. Then Ohio can go bankrupt paying for their free ride. Yeah, just kidding.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Without Burke, as Hammer posted the link to, Cleveland-Hopkins would be so busy it would be a disaster, Akron-Canton airport is extremely busy, too. Way back, that is why Burke was added in the first place.

Although, I can see the point of closing it - they could build a giant free hotel for all the illegals that will be given the vote, and will all vote as a democrat block. Then Ohio can go bankrupt paying for their free ride. Yeah, just kidding.

Hopkins could easily handle the Burke traffic. It's miniscule to Hopkins. I'm not sure how often you fly, but neither Hopkins or Akron-Canton is "extremely busy". A huge portion of Burke flights are just training too. 

I thought we'd get a thread without some slippery slope, vaguely racist, attack illegals nonsense, or any other brand of your nonsense, but I guess not. 

No dog in this fight but, the article stated  " Burke has averaged approx. 90,000 take-offs and landings over the last 5 years, making it the largest of the 5 FAA designated reliever airports to Cleveland-Hopkins".. Now either that number is a typo or even if the vast majority are touch and go training events that would still be a hell of a lot of traffic. It would be right at 50 a day even if that 90k is over 5 yrs. Where does that traffic shift to?

1 hour ago, Axe said:

No dog in this fight but, the article stated  " Burke has averaged approx. 90,000 take-offs and landings over the last 5 years, making it the largest of the 5 FAA designated reliever airports to Cleveland-Hopkins".. Now either that number is a typo or even if the vast majority are touch and go training events that would still be a hell of a lot of traffic. It would be right at 50 a day even if that 90k is over 5 yrs. Where does that traffic shift to?

From a few things I've read a large portion is touch and go training. 

But my answer would be the other 4 over flow. You could even look for land to "move" Burke. 

Just a big waste of space next to arguably Cleveland's main resource

30 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

From a few things I've read a large portion is touch and go training. 

But my answer would be the other 4 over flow. You could even look for land to "move" Burke. 

Just a big waste of space next to arguably Cleveland's main resource

The bigger waste is whats to the east by MLK and Bratenahl behind the army barracks... They could put a whole new convention and entertainment complex with hotels and shit there.. But no... Cleveland City Council does nothing but bicker and gets nothing done...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Hopkins could easily handle the Burke traffic. It's miniscule to Hopkins. I'm not sure how often you fly, but neither Hopkins or Akron-Canton is "extremely busy". A huge portion of Burke flights are just training too. 

I thought we'd get a thread without some slippery slope, vaguely racist, attack illegals nonsense, or any other brand of your nonsense, but I guess not. 

Sigh. Not surprised by your immediate reaction, but that is what you liberals are conditioned to do.

Read it again. Cals comment wasn't even vaguely racist, nor was he attacking illegals, it was an attack on your presidents open border policy and the approach that the demonrats have been taking to addressing the problem.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FY56 said:

Sigh. Not surprised by your immediate reaction, but that is what you liberals are conditioned to do.

Read it again. Cals comment wasn't even vaguely racist, nor was he attacking illegals, it was an attack on your presidents open border policy and they way that the demonrats have been addressing the problem.

Oh, well in that case, it was a much more productive response.... 

10 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Oh, well in that case, it was a much more productive response.... 

I gave you a decent, honest response, and I joked about (although I wouldn't be surprised at this president) making the illegals a free giant hotel.

a joke. Nothing at all about the illegals themselves. I didn't call you woodpecker. It was a decent original post, but you went and did your thing again.

Too bad. I thought you could have just one thread where you didn't lash out at somebody completely unwarranted.

I don't fly that often, we will probably fly out west this next time with friends. Driving was three days driving and three overnight campings. But ever time we drive friends to Cleveland-Hopkins, it's a huge, huge busy time. and, I could post a pic of the Akron-Canton airport parking lot - they stay generally very busy. But usually that is weekend times....

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I gave you a decent, honest response, and I joked about (although I wouldn't be surprised at this president) making the illegals a free giant hotel.

a joke. Nothing at all about the illegals themselves. I didn't call you woodpecker. It was a decent original post, but you went and did your thing again.

Too bad. I thought you could have just one thread where you didn't lash out at somebody completely unwarranted.

I don't fly that often, we will probably fly out west this next time with friends. Driving was three days driving and three overnight campings. But ever time we drive friends to Cleveland-Hopkins, it's a huge, huge busy time. and, I could post a pic of the Akron-Canton airport parking lot - they stay generally very busy. But usually that is weekend times....

As someone that flies constantly, trust me, it isn't that big or busy. 

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

As someone that flies constantly, trust me, it isn't that big or busy. 

Granted, it isn't O'Hare.....but our niece's husband is a pilot. Found out this cool site:

https://flightaware.com/live/airport_status_bigmap.rvt?airport=KCLE

that is a heck of a lot of traffic in the Cleveland area, si?

On 7/24/2023 at 12:30 PM, Canton Dawg said:

No…I don’t want that shit here.

I think our metro area blew it back in the 70s/80s. If they built a modern airport out in the suburbs, like Denver & Pittsburgh did, CLE would be a hub. 

I agree with @MLD Woody, Burke sits on some valuable property. Maybe it's too late, but CLE should have developed that area and scrapped Burke decades ago.

6 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I think our metro area blew it back in the 70s/80s. If they built a modern airport out in the suburbs, like Denver & Pittsburgh did, CLE would be a hub. 

I agree with @MLD Woody, Burke sits on some valuable property. Maybe it's too late, but CLE should have developed that area and scrapped Burke decades ago.

but where would that be in the suburbs, Bob? who the heck wants their neighborhood with an airport like Burk next door???

On the lakefront, so much attention needs to be placed on not ruining small town U.S.A. on the placement of airports. Flying over water doesn't ruin homeowners' peace of mind.

Say, Chicago O'Hare is right on the lakefront too.

Too bad Pittsburgh and Denver didn't have a great lake next door....

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

but where would that be in the suburbs, Bob?

Probably south of the city, but like I said I believe it's too late. Somewhere like Richfield would have made sense back in the day. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bob806 said:

the property east of Burke is even better... Burke is all landfill.. the properties by MLK and Bratenahl are more solid.. and 2x's the ackerage

On 7/24/2023 at 9:56 AM, MLD Woody said:

Even though I'm about 60+ miles from Burke Airport  I'm generally  FOR  more or existing   GA  (General Aviation)  sites  especially downtown areas..

I. do not like the crush of the big airports or having the 1 hour, 2 hour PLUS of extra driving to go to your small hookup. 

I am also a subscriber of Sporty's Pilot Shop  and other small GA stories and information  dealing with the GA world out of  Batavia, Ohio.  45103.   My source for GA information,   I also know the feeling of when they closed the YGN  (Youngstown/ Warren Airport)   we are now  stuck. going out of Akron/Canton  or farther PIT or Hopkins airports, an additional  60+ miles each way.

More is better! !   Keep the small airports running.