THE BROWNS BOARD

About a Guardian play on second base - what the???

calfoxwc

so, MLB - the hq is in NEW YORK ?

yeah, that makes sense.

A Guardian slides into second base, is safe, but the second baseman hits his arm off the base with his glove, and they

rule him out.

what the heck is that ?

Why not just push players off the base al the time then? er? What rule justifies that ?

well, I had to go look it up:

https://www.cleveland.com/guardians/2023/08/heres-who-instigated-the-14-minute-brawl-between-guardians-and-chicago-white-sox.html

Here’s who instigated the 14-minute brawl between Guardians and White Sox

"

“I did know that there were some things going between Anderson and Gabby that our guys didn’t appreciate,” said Francona. “When the umpire told them to knock it off, he said some things he probably shouldn’t of.”

On Friday night Anderson shoved rookie Brayan Rocchio’s hand off second base and then tagged him out. The umpire called Rocchio safe, but because he didn’t say that Anderson knocked his hand off the base, the play was subject for review."

23 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Syd said:

GO REDS

Well, the Guardians won 3-0 - over the Reds. I hope they can keep it up the next several games.

Reds won tonight. but what was that call that got over turned.I liked it but it was never explained

18 hours ago, syd said:

Reds won tonight. but what was that call that got over turned.I liked it but it was never explained

the one where they threw to first to get the Guardian guy out? He was safe - except he went past the base, and didn't "re-establish" himself as a base runner by touching the base before taking off for second base. Once announcer said he'd never seen that before.

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2023 at 2:33 PM, calfoxwc said:

the one where they threw to first to get the Guardian guy out? He was safe - except he went past the base, and didn't "re-establish" himself as a base runner by touching the base before taking off for second base. Once announcer said he'd never seen that before.

Skipper Bell how he called that WOW

• 4 weeks later...

so last night, we were watching the In...I mean, Guardians, and the 2nd base umpire calls bibee for a balk. He had moved his knee a bit while set. Then, he called him for it again, with a very slight movement.

Later, the Angels pitcher moved his knee a tiny bit while set - no call.

Beats me - I never got to play sports (officially). but it makes no sense to me at all.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

so last night, we were watching the In...I mean, Guardians, and the 2nd base umpire calls bibee for a balk. He had moved his knee a bit while set. Then, he called him for it again, with a very slight movement.

Later, the Angels pitcher moved his knee a tiny bit while set - no call.

Beats me - I never got to play sports (officially). but it makes no sense to me at all.

What never made any sense to me was how you never allowed to play sports but somehow was allowed to join the Air Force. 

Interesting. 

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

What never made any sense to me was how you never allowed to play sports but somehow was allowed to join the Air Force. 

Interesting. 

okay, I heard that you said that. I was draft exempt in 1970. When I learned I had to find a job (was in college) to help my family pay bills etc and keep our home - 2 1/2 years later -  there were no jobs easy to find. Firestone had shut down and there were hundreds of folks applying for even part time jobs.

so, I enlisted, but the Navy recruiter said I would never be allowed to pass the physical for the Navy, which I wanted - but the only choice was the Air Force. So, that I did. And sure enough, the dr was going to send me back home again - but I told him why I was enlisting and that he had to give me a pass.

He went and talked to three other drs, they were shaking their heads and I figured "crap".

But he and I talked a while, and he said he reluctantly would let me go to basic. But he made me promise that when my knee blew up, that I wouldn't be down on myself - it wasn't -me- who failed.

So, I got to go. And my knee got pretty bad about the fifth week, especially after running the mile in combat boots on the asphalt track. My knee was very noticeably swollen up and the pain kept me up at night - finally, our TI's ordered me to sick bay. It's a longer terrific story. I had osgood-schlatters's disease when I was a young kid - it wrecked my knees. My worst one was re-structured the summer after the ninth grade. The pattelar connection was moved to a different location to fix a trick knee. Where the kneecap goes out, it is severely painful.

At the physical to enlist, the dr was fascinated about my reconstucted knee - who did it, where,  if it was ok if he contacted him, etc.

When I had that one replaced seven years ago, I had a major steel alloy screw in it that held the relocated patellar ligament new connection to the tibia there - he took all that out.

When I have two good knees for the first time in my life - It will be pretty amazing. When I was a kid, my cousins and I used to run about the mountain side etc, but at night, my knee pain would keep me up most of the night. I never said anything because I always figured that they had pain too, and never complained.....

so, I have no quit in me. It's just always been who I am.  

I'm that guy - always have been, all my life... It's who I've always been.