THE BROWNS BOARD

What went wrong, and how we will get better

PlaygroundLegend

Like all organizations, success starts at the top, so that is where I will start with this analysis....

Coaching

Mangini (or Daboll) coached a very conservative game. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but everything has its place and time. The offensive play calling and personell choices were horrendus. I believe we had over 3 instances of 2nd and long (by long I mean over 10 yards) where we chose to run the ball. I also would like to say I saw more runs from the shotgun than I should have, it was clever to beat their great run D, but you cant OVER DO it like we did.

I like Rob Ryans defense, but they need some serious conditioning, we need to play 4 Quarters of football, (on both sides of the ball)

As far as personell choices go, I did not see Furrey at all on Offense until the 4th quarter, which is exactly when our offense became productive, we need him more in 3 WR sets and not rely on Royal so much with the pass. On defense I liked the personell except for Barton in some situations, when he was blitzed he was great, when he had to sit in zone or watch the run he sucked, he missed MANY tackles in the box.

Quarterback

Lets face it, Quinn had an off game. He started out well and ended well, but everything in between was off. He needs to command respect from Braylon and develop some chemistry because you can tell the two arent exactly in sync. One play made me very mad today from Quinn, at the end of the second half, he audibles throw deep and runs the clock..... but he doesnt take the shot! You HAVE to take that shot, its basically risk free. I couldnt tell whether he held the ball too long, or if the recievers couldnt get open. Some of his throws were horribly innacurate and he seemed rattled. But I think that these are all timing issues. He should be fine once he gets a foundation of starts under his belt.

Offensive Line

Anywhere from great to Aweful, they were horribly inconsistent. Joe Thomas played an awesome game, but St. Clair played horrible in pass protection. Another typical Brown issue are the false starts, I knw they happen, but they seem to happen at the worst times, right as were gaining momentum. I think they need to develop some chemistry and some of the missed gap coverage issues will be fixed, but they need to be more consistent and diciplined.

Wideouts

Ill include the TE's in this one... how many drops did royal and Braylon have combined today? 7? That was rediculous, we really need to catch the ball, this is the NFL. Also... we need to get some seperation, because I saw NONE. Braylon dropped what would have been an awesome catch, and got gipped out of a TD. Also, I dont know if the pick was Braylons fault or not, but they need to get syncd and soon. Furrey played well.

RB's

Lewis played very well, Davis..... diddnt have the playcalling on his side, and where the hell was Harrison? NOT AGAIN!!!!!

Defense

Played awesome the first half, exactly what I would expect from Rob Ryan. But they need to play 4 quarters, they looked exhausted the second half. Wimbley looked great! So did Rogers, Williams, Smith... our D-line played VERY well... Once again Abe Elam was amazing in the run stopping game, but aweful in pass defense, he REALLY needs to work on that. Maybe we can just make him the LB opposite of Jackson. ;) Corners played well, Wright cant tackle... B-mac had a nice TFL on peterson..... we just need more consistency all around.

Speacial Teams

YEAH CRIBBS!!

the end

I think the major issue today was playcalling and descision making both on the QB's part and the coaches part, after all we have a first time NFL starter and a first time NFL O-coordinator, They will have their growing pains..

Wimbley disappeared in the 2nd half. Williams sucked, don't agree with you on that, blown off the ball way to much. Coleman was better, but he is obviously 2 down. Mosely was a disapointment and Rogers was up and down. Don't get me started on DQ and whoever played the opposite of Kam. Atrocious.

The DB's played well in run defense and had little challenge against them throwing so I will give that imcomplete.

It is only one game so hopefully, like the offense, they get better and excell against weak competition.

Wimbley disappeared in the 2nd half. Williams sucked, don't agree with you on that, blown off the ball way to much. Coleman was better, but he is obviously 2 down. Mosely was a disapointment and Rogers was up and down. Don't get me started on DQ and whoever played the opposite of Kam. Atrocious.

The DB's played well in run defense and had little challenge against them throwing so I will give that imcomplete.

It is only one game so hopefully, like the offense, they get better and excell against weak competition.

I take it you were watching some other game in the first half ?

I disagree on the idea that Lewis played well. It appeared that the Vikes plan was just to take the QB out of the game and make us beat them on the ground. We failed to do that.

But we played a better team today. In the first half they played more like we did in the second. Once they started playing their game it was over. Here's how well the Vikes D played in the second half: They were able to cover the receivers and blow our line away at the same time.

Like all organizations, success starts at the top, so that is where I will start with this analysis....

Coaching

Mangini (or Daboll) coached a very conservative game. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but everything has its place and time. The offensive play calling and personell choices were horrendus. I believe we had over 3 instances of 2nd and long (by long I mean over 10 yards) where we chose to run the ball. I also would like to say I saw more runs from the shotgun than I should have, it was clever to beat their great run D, but you cant OVER DO it like we did.

I like Rob Ryans defense, but they need some serious conditioning, we need to play 4 Quarters of football, (on both sides of the ball)

As far as personell choices go, I did not see Furrey at all on Offense until the 4th quarter, which is exactly when our offense became productive, we need him more in 3 WR sets and not rely on Royal so much with the pass. On defense I liked the personell except for Barton in some situations, when he was blitzed he was great, when he had to sit in zone or watch the run he sucked, he missed MANY tackles in the box.

Quarterback

Lets face it, Quinn had an off game. He started out well and ended well, but everything in between was off. He needs to command respect from Braylon and develop some chemistry because you can tell the two arent exactly in sync. One play made me very mad today from Quinn, at the end of the second half, he audibles throw deep and runs the clock..... but he doesnt take the shot! You HAVE to take that shot, its basically risk free. I couldnt tell whether he held the ball too long, or if the recievers couldnt get open. Some of his throws were horribly innacurate and he seemed rattled. But I think that these are all timing issues. He should be fine once he gets a foundation of starts under his belt.

Offensive Line

Anywhere from great to Aweful, they were horribly inconsistent. Joe Thomas played an awesome game, but St. Clair played horrible in pass protection. Another typical Brown issue are the false starts, I knw they happen, but they seem to happen at the worst times, right as were gaining momentum. I think they need to develop some chemistry and some of the missed gap coverage issues will be fixed, but they need to be more consistent and diciplined.

Wideouts

Ill include the TE's in this one... how many drops did royal and Braylon have combined today? 7? That was rediculous, we really need to catch the ball, this is the NFL. Also... we need to get some seperation, because I saw NONE. Braylon dropped what would have been an awesome catch, and got gipped out of a TD. Also, I dont know if the pick was Braylons fault or not, but they need to get syncd and soon. Furrey played well.

RB's

Lewis played very well, Davis..... diddnt have the playcalling on his side, and where the hell was Harrison? NOT AGAIN!!!!!

Defense

Played awesome the first half, exactly what I would expect from Rob Ryan. But they need to play 4 quarters, they looked exhausted the second half. Wimbley looked great! So did Rogers, Williams, Smith... our D-line played VERY well... Once again Abe Elam was amazing in the run stopping game, but aweful in pass defense, he REALLY needs to work on that. Maybe we can just make him the LB opposite of Jackson. ;) Corners played well, Wright cant tackle... B-mac had a nice TFL on peterson..... we just need more consistency all around.

Speacial Teams

YEAH CRIBBS!!

the end

I think the major issue today was playcalling and descision making both on the QB's part and the coaches part, after all we have a first time NFL starter and a first time NFL O-coordinator, They will have their growing pains..

Its hard to stay optimistic about this year after seeing a fully regergitated chud scheme that started after bq took the helm last year..it gives one the feeling this regime is barking up the wrong tree by taking this route but it does make me realize how bad this offense needs rebuilt namely the right guard and tackle and the WR corp in general...our WRs lack the speed and skills to be nfl WRs...we may need an upgrade at qb as well that is yet to be determined...

I liked what i seen on the defensive side the first half but its a 4 quarter game...

Head coach=F

Offensive coordination=F+

Defensive coordination=C+

QB=F

WRs=F+

RBs=C-

Offensive line as a unit=F

Defensive line=C+

DBs=C

Secondary=C+

I don't know a lot about Mangina - never really followed him closely but I wasn't as optimistic as yinz about him being your head coach. I think his time in NY was generally considered a failure, so I don't know what that brings to the table for a team like the stains to turn it around.

As far as an upgrade over Romeo, I'm not sure. Coaches are often judged by the teams performance and that performance is in large part based on the talent on the team, not just the coaching.

You can't coach a turd into being successful.

At this point, I would shift the blame from Mangina (or Romeo for that matter) to the FO. The team needs talent, it's a key element to winning games. Coaching is also, but that's only part of the formula.

Winslow was probably the best player yinz had as a new franchise. He's gone and I don't know what kind of value yinz got for him on his departure. BQ - still too early to tell, but if he has any potential, it could be shattered if he gets put under a microscope and dissected ad naseum.

From where I see it, I would think retaining quality players coupled with solid drafting and a FA move here and there are the right moves. Don't be surprised if Braylon gets traded if he still has any value and I'm not sure of that. He seems to be a problem player and it might be good to salvage what value he has left.

Still, I don't know if Mangina is tooled for this kind of turn-around - or your FO for that matter.

Just some .02 from a yinzer.

Regards

.... an'at

Steeler Chuck, I share the same feeling as u with regards to BE, with K2 we got a really great offer from Tampa Bay when we needed more draft picks and with K2's injury record and questionable knee it was a nice trade.

yeah but will those draft picks turn into anything? it stills pisses me off that we drafted two wrs in the second round when rey maluaga was still there.

Where things started to go wrong for me was the second half when the Vikes sealed the edge and just ran around us.

I originally thought it might have been because our interior d-line was playing tough, but they obviously made the half-time adjustment and we had no answer.

Two points.

Someone said they thought that Elam played poorly in pass defense. I did not see that. Most of the passes that were caught for long gains were the fault of Poteat. Not Elam.

Second, someone said they didn't feel Lewis played well. He had 11 carries for 57 yards. That's over a 5 yard per carry average. That's pretty damn good. He can't help it that he only got 11 yards on 3nd and 14.

Relatively I think Quinn played well, he did not make any horrendous decision. We cant ask him to launch the ball down field right now. Turnovers will be the end of us look at last year. The fumbles and one int are not acceptable. BTW look at Quinns numbers they dont look that bad, look at what Sanchez put up looks kinda familiar when everyone is praising his actions. Quinn played smart just nothin spectacular. I look forward to Quinn getting more snaps and more attempts.

Archived