THE BROWNS BOARD

Good news for Japan and Korea

Westside Steve

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

The UAW is asking for a 46% pay raise, and a 32 hour work week but they want paid for 40 hours!

They don’t ask for much…do they? 🤡

wow. Thank GOD they are not the truckers union or stores would go empty.... LIke I've mentioned to Bob before  - some unions have long lived out their usefullness - they have to contrive issues to justify their positions and salaries in the union.

48% raise ?????????????  In the old days, the URW used to rarely strike to get a 5% raise and safety protocols implemented.

I love unions, and yes there is absolutely a place for them today. Unfortunately, just like anywhere else, corruption can take a toll.

Not all unions are corrupt, some are good and some are just poorly run.

I worked at GM for 7 years, they absolutely need a union.

For me the problem lies in management. You have record profits and yet you keep increasing the price of your product. The union wouldn't have much leg to stand on if this wasn't the case and management was fair and honest. But they are greedy so why wouldn't the people who put in some sweat want their share? After the pandemic it was GMs ceo that said they liked keeping dealership inventory low so they could charge a higher price. Fair enough until people start becoming loyal customers somewhere else.

I know the rumors of GM workers and while there might be some outliers, they work hard. They give you a minute to do your job and they time out exactly how long it takes when they plan out these jobs so it takes you almost the full minute to get your car done, at least at my old plant, 60 cars/hour. Not all jobs are the same but that's the bulk of it.

I think it's in everyone's best interest to be supportive because it was the unions that got us a 40 hr work week and weekends and most of your job perks. If they got 4 days maybe that will extend across the job market to other places that can also support it, not everything can however but that's how it goes. I feel they're asking a lot but these union guys hopefully know why they're asking for. Personally, I'd rather see the cost of a vehicle go down, but make no mistake, you could fire all the workers and hire in new at a third of the rate and prices would still not go down. GM uses the media to put consumers on their side but it's crap.

I love GM cars, it's usually easy picking one out.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

The UAW is asking for a 46% pay raise, and a 32 hour work week but they want paid for 40 hours!

They don’t ask for much…do they? 🤡

Do you really think the companies are going to give them all of that? You have to set the bar as high as you can or they will just lowball you. If you don't ask for it you will never know if you can get it. They will probably meet somewhere in the middle but I highly doubt they get 32 hour work week. 

3 hours ago, Jax said:

I love unions, and yes there is absolutely a place for them today. Unfortunately, just like anywhere else, corruption can take a toll.

Not all unions are corrupt, some are good and some are just poorly run.

I worked at GM for 7 years, they absolutely need a union.

For me the problem lies in management. You have record profits and yet you keep increasing the price of your product. The union wouldn't have much leg to stand on if this wasn't the case and management was fair and honest. But they are greedy so why wouldn't the people who put in some sweat want their share? After the pandemic it was GMs ceo that said they liked keeping dealership inventory low so they could charge a higher price. Fair enough until people start becoming loyal customers somewhere else.

I know the rumors of GM workers and while there might be some outliers, they work hard. They give you a minute to do your job and they time out exactly how long it takes when they plan out these jobs so it takes you almost the full minute to get your car done, at least at my old plant, 60 cars/hour. Not all jobs are the same but that's the bulk of it.

I think it's in everyone's best interest to be supportive because it was the unions that got us a 40 hr work week and weekends and most of your job perks. If they got 4 days maybe that will extend across the job market to other places that can also support it, not everything can however but that's how it goes. I feel they're asking a lot but these union guys hopefully know why they're asking for. Personally, I'd rather see the cost of a vehicle go down, but make no mistake, you could fire all the workers and hire in new at a third of the rate and prices would still not go down. GM uses the media to put consumers on their side but it's crap.

I love GM cars, it's usually easy picking one out.

Labor costs only make up 5% of the price of the vehicle. The prices are so high because of dealer markups. They said that they could double the workers rate of pay and still make billions in profit. Everybody loves talking about corruption in politics but nobody mentions a thing when the CEO's give themselves multi-million dollar raises.

I think in the old days people fared better because owners cared about employees and the community. Nowadays, it's all about max profit at any cost and share holders.

Each important of course but it's gotten too far out of whack.

Worst of all are the CEOs that feel entitled to rape a business to no benefit of employees or customers.

these carmakers are LOSING big time on EVs

with that in mind, one could think the UAW is pulling out the stops with these ridiculous demands 

only because it sees the massive "green" subsidies to the carmakers - given by the US Govt from the so called infrastructure bill?

And they figure they want in on it too?

8 minutes ago, FairHooker11 said:

these ridiculous demands

You have to make ridiculous demands or you won't get anything from them. Sure the 32 hour work week sounds ridiculous but getting a significant pay raise is ridiculous? The CEO's gave themselves multi-million dollar raises.

3 hours ago, Neo said:

Well I can now see you have no idea about how they negotiate.

No shit, the companies countered with a 20% pay increase but the UAW refused.

It makes no difference to me, because I bought my last American car 30 years ago.

5 hours ago, Jax said:

I think it's in everyone's best interest to be supportive because it was the unions that got us a 40 hr work week and weekends and most of your job perks.

Actually it was Henry Ford who was credited with the 40 hour work week.

https://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1977881_1977883_1977922,00.html

IMG_4820.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

he companies countered with a 20%

You understand the companies can double the workers pay and still make billions in profit, labor costs are a VERY small percentage of they (the company) would still be making money hand over fist without raising the price of the car.

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

You understand they can double their pay and still make billions in profit, labor costs are a VERY small percentage of they would still be making money hand over fist without raising the price of the car.

What you fail to understand is today's UAW and unions in general are in bed with the corporations who support them.. The Union has been dead since Jackie Presser and Ronald Reagan pretty much broke the Union over 30 years ago..

1 hour ago, Neo said:

You understand the companies can double the workers pay and still make billions in profit, labor costs are a VERY small percentage of they (the company) would still be making money hand over fist without raising the price of the car.

First off I have a bachelor’s degree in business, with a minor in accounting, so I fully understand production costs.

Labor is a fixed cost, along with other fixed and variable costs that businesses try to keep these under control, as they impact the margins and ultimately the price of their products.

With the average price of a new car approaching $50k, I’m afraid these UAW workers are pushing the price beyond the reach of your average American.

But I’m sure the foreign car companies are loving this, as they can raise the price of their vehicles.

Its a lose lose situation.

If you’re concerned about the profits the auto manufacturers are raking in, don’t look at the balance sheets at some of the big tech companies like Alphabet, Nvidia, Apple, Microsoft, etc.

• Upvote 1

https://www.cultureamp.com/blog/40-hour-work-week

The history of the 40-hour work week

Believe it or not, the makings of the 40-hour work week started in the 19th century. Below is a timeline of the key dates that led to the work standards we’re familiar with today.

• 1817: After the Industrial Revolution, activists, and labor union groups advocated for better working conditions. People were working 80 to 100-hour weeks during this time.
  • 1866: The National Labor Union, comprised of skilled and unskilled workers, farmers, and reformers, asked Congress to pass a law mandating the eight-hour workday. While the law wasn’t passed, it increased public support for the change.
  • 1869: President Ulysses S. Grant issued a proclamation to guarantee eight-hour workdays for government employees. Grant's decision encouraged private-sector workers to push for the same rights.
  • 1886: The Illinois Legislature passed a law mandating eight-hour workdays. Many employers refused to cooperate, which led to a massive worker strike in Chicago, where there was a bomb that killed at least 12 people. The aftermath is known as the Haymarket Riot and is now commemorated on May 1 as a public holiday in many countries.
  • 1926: Henry Ford popularized the 40-hour work week after he discovered through his research that working more yielded only a small increase in productivity that lasted a short period of time. Ford announced he would pay each worker $5 per eight-hour day, which was nearly double what the average auto worker was making that time. Manufacturers and companies soon followed Henry Ford’s lead after seeing how this new policy boosted productivity and fostered loyalty and pride among Ford’s employees.
  • 1938: Congress passed the Fair Labor Standards Act, which required employers to pay overtime to all employees who worked more than 44 hours a week. They amended the act two years later to reduce the work week to 40 hours.
  • 1940: The 40-hour work week became U.S. law.
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

First off I have a bachelor’s degree in business, with a minor in accounting, so I fully understand production costs.

Labor is a fixed cost, along with other fixed and variable costs that businesses try to keep these under control, as they impact the margins and ultimately the price of their products.

With the average price of a new car approaching $50k, I’m afraid these UAW workers are pushing the price beyond the reach of your average American.

But I’m sure the foreign car companies are loving this, as they can raise the price of their vehicles.

Its a lose lose situation.

If you’re concerned about the profits the auto manufacturers are raking in, don’t look at the balance sheets at some of the big tech companies like Alphabet, Nvidia, Apple, Microsoft, etc.

The MSRP for a C8 Corvette was $60,000 and then the dealers marked them up to $100k+ so tell me how the workers are driving up vehicle prices? I swear, all you fuckers do is complain, about Biden, about gas prices, about inflation. So the workers that helped these companies make billions want a raise to help with inflaton and YOU have a problem with that? Did you know GM got millions in subsides to run that plant in Lordstown? They literally didn't have to pay for electricity, gas, water. And they tried to weasel their way out of paying it back when they broke the contract and left.😏

https://www.propublica.org/article/gm-closed-the-lordstown-auto-plant-now-ohio-may-force-a-60-million-repayment

3 hours ago, Neo said:

The MSRP for a C8 Corvette was $60,000 and then the dealers marked them up to $100k+ so tell me how the workers are driving up vehicle prices? I swear, all you fuckers do is complain, about Biden, about gas prices, about inflation. So the workers that helped these companies make billions want a raise to help with inflaton and YOU have a problem with that? Did you know GM got millions in subsides to run that plant in Lordstown? They literally didn't have to pay for electricity, gas, water. And they tried to weasel their way out of paying it back when they broke the contract and left.😏

https://www.propublica.org/article/gm-closed-the-lordstown-auto-plant-now-ohio-may-force-a-60-million-repayment

Only old men or squirrel dicks drive corvettes.

22 minutes ago, Neo said:

Ok, but I'm just using it as an example on how dealers mark up prices.🤷‍♂️ You really think dealers don't mark up pickups?

It's almost the same with selling musical instruments.. The Distributers/Whosalers and sellers pay about 30-40% of the price per unit then tack on another 60-80% ballpark to meet their proposed quota...

4 hours ago, Neo said:

Then don’t buy their fucking cars & trucks….problem solved!

• 2 weeks later...